Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
[QUOTE=axis;7039239]This is so full of fail, I don't know where to start. QUOTE]

Try this for full of fail: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320019

Enjoy!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
Johnny@MTI

Drives: 99 ls1 miata
a CAI is louder than an air box. OEM's spend millions developing s air box that doesn't whistle, or chirp.
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Can you not see that this intake is EXACTLY like the OEM one, only it has a different finish on it. If you want this intake, paint the one that's on your car now and viola, you have a GMPP CAI. It wasn't released because not many people would pay for performance intake that doesn't add performance.
Axis, the air tube is different.

Has anyone ever seen what one of these looked like inside? Maybe at SEMA or some other venue?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This is so full of fail, I don't know where to start. Oh yeah, SEARCH.
I have, and if anything you may see an actual gain of maybe 5 - 10 HP, but sometimes results have been a drop in HP. My point is that a 5 - 10 HP gain is negligible, you won't even feel it, and a stock setup will not benefit from it anymore than a drop-in high-flow filter would. IMO it is certainly not worth paying $400 - $500 for and an hour of my time installing it.

If I want "real" performance increase then I would opt for a header and high-flow cat swap to start, while still using the stock air-intake with a high-flow filter of course. Then if I still wanted to go further I would either do a Head and Cam swap or some sort of forced induction. Then, and maybe only then, would I do a CAI. But I wouldn't even do this without massive suspension, chassis bracing, and brake upgrade as well.

But before I paid for all that I would just buy a Z06 Corvette instead. This is probably Chevrolet's thinking as well, hence what the Op asked in the first place... is why Manufacturers do not put CAIs in stock cars.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
I owned various GM products over the years long ago ('62 'vette, '69 SS396 Chevelle, '70-1/2 Z/28, '64 'vette coupe, '76 Trans Am). Then I switched to Mustangs ('96 Cobra, '01 Cobra, '08 GT500) when I disliked gen3 and gen4 Camaro styling. I still have those three Mustangs but have added a '13 IOM ZL1.

C&L and JLT CAIs are popular Mustang mods. Both increase airflow enough where a tune is required to avoid running lean and risking detonation.

But here it seems like everyone wants to avoid a tune for their Camaro and use something like a Rotofab that doesn't require one. Why is that? I can't believe its strictly that Mustang owners are okay with voiding their warranty and Camaro owners aren't.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
The wife's 2014 GT 5.0 has one from the factory....but it didn't help her against my SS the other nite
Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
fradaj

Drives: RS
If Chevrolet sold the CAI from the Z/28 in their performance catalog I might go for it.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
If Chevrolet sells the CAI from the Z/28 in their performance catalog I might go for it.
That's exactly what I've been thinking of doing.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
If Chevrolet sold the CAI from the Z/28 in their performance catalog I might go for it.
Wonder how many codes that would throw on a 3.6L or even a 6.2L for that matter, if you could even connect it?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
C&L and JLT CAIs are popular Mustang mods. Both increase airflow enough where a tune is required to avoid running lean and risking detonation.

But here it seems like everyone wants to avoid a tune for their Camaro and use something like a Rotofab that doesn't require one. Why is that? I can't believe its strictly that Mustang owners are okay with voiding their warranty and Camaro owners aren't.
Maybe Camaro owners are just smarter.

Seriously, voiding your warranty can cost you thousands. Is a few horsepower from an intake really worth that?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Wonder how many codes that would throw on a 3.6L or even a 6.2L for that matter, if you could even connect it?
it looks like its in a similar location so if it doesnt bolt right up it probably wouldnt require much modification to work.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #40
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Seriously, voiding your warranty can cost you thousands. Is a few horsepower from an intake really worth that?
A CAI does not and cannot void your warranty. That is protected under a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Act. In fact, we actually have quite a few Chevrolet Dealerships that sell and install our products.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #41
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
That's exactly what I've been thinking of doing.
Why waste your money? It is STILL a stock intake. Yes, it's an open element style, but the tube still has ripples in it causing turbulence and unwanted power loss. Look at the GMPP ad someone already posted. GM wanted $450 for that abomination. It's a essentially stock box set-up painted chrome. Heck, GM would probably want $500-600 if they ever released the Z/28 set-up. You can do whatever you wish, but I'd rather buy an aftermarket unit, have better results and save some money.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #42
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
A CAI does not and cannot void your warranty. That is protected under a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Act. In fact, we actually have quite a few Chevrolet Dealerships that sell and install our products.
But the tune will void it.