Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Dealer Ruined My Paint

I took my car in for the trifecta oil leak issues (pan, cooler, rear main). My car is 9 months old. When I dropped it off, it had a mirror finish with no so much as a swirl in the paint. The dealer had my car for 9 days and when I got it back, it looks like someone took buck shot to my rear quarter panels and the car is scratched from nose to rear. There are several areas where someone cut right down to the primer when they ran a filthy rag all over the finish. Note that this condition exists on both sets of gills. It appears that the dealer was tooling around the back roads of Hazzard county and jumping rivers with this car.

I sat inside the car and also noticed that they sucked up one of my rubber inserts from the center console. Are you kidding me??!!!

Have a look at this picture. All the white spots that you see are missing paint chips from the finish, including a nice quarter inch chip right on the driver's door seam. I can tell that this will need to be resprayed to fix the problems.

I'm beyond pissed off at this point. I'm headed back in this morning so that the general manager can look at the piss poor condition of my car. If things are not made right, I will list the dealer name and all the personnel involved so that others don't have this happen. For the record, this is the second time this dealer has ruined the finish on my car.

Attached Images

TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
I took my car in for the trifecta oil leak issues (pan, cooler, rear main). My car is 9 months old. When I dropped it off, it had a mirror finish with no so much as a swirl in the paint. The dealer had my car for 9 days and when I got it back, it looks like someone took buck shot to my rear quarter panels and the car is scratched from nose to rear. There are several areas where someone cut right down to the primer when they ran a filthy rag all over the finish. Note that this condition exists on both sets of gills. It appears that the dealer was tooling around the back roads of Hazzard county and jumping rivers with this car.

I sat inside the car and also noticed that they sucked up one of my rubber inserts from the center console. Are you kidding me??!!!

Have a look at this picture. All the white spots that you see are missing paint chips from the finish, including a nice quarter inch chip right on the driver's door seam. I can tell that this will need to be resprayed to fix the problems.

I'm beyond pissed off at this point. I'm headed back in this morning so that the general manager can look at the piss poor condition of my car. If things are not made right, I will list the dealer name and all the personnel involved so that others don't have this happen. For the record, this is the second time this dealer has ruined the finish on my car.

I understand your frustration. Please let us know how service goes. We appreciate all of your feedback and value you your concerns. Feel free to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
rover1newton

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey 2SS A6
Oh WOW! That sucks, I know how you feel... The Dealer I took mine to did a number on my paint as well... But it has been back 6 times for them to fix it and this last time was the worst... I now have a claim in with GM Customer Service and reported them to the BBB... Things did not take off until I made the BBB complaint and now, hopefully I will hear something today. They (the dealer) wants me to take it to any body shop to get fixed and they will pick up the bill. It is a brand new 2012 2SS/RS Ashen Gray that looked awesome and now looks like its 10 years old and not taken care of and I've had it since Jan 30th 2012. I really do feel your pain... And hopfully it doesn't take you as long to get it fixed as it is taking me...
rover1newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Looks like the groundskeeper for the place caught some rocks in the mower or weed-whacker. Damn. Sorry bro.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
TheHorse13

I went there and the service director tried to tell me that the car was like that when it got there. I nearly raged but the general manager immediately stepped in and said he knows it wasn't that way. They are going to attempt to fix this next week. Let's see what happens.

I have all my ducks in a row. If they attempt to screw me I will unload my own trifecta: BBB, GM and the attorney general.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
rover1newton

Quote:
I went there and the service director tried to tell me that the car was like that when it got there. I nearly raged but the general manager immediately stepped in and said he knows it wasn't that way. They are going to attempt to fix this next week. Let's see what happens.

I have all my ducks in a row. If they attempt to screw me I will unload my own trifecta: BBB, GM and the attorney general.
Right on! Yeah, I was trying to give the dealer every chance possible but it just kept getting worse! You also might want to check the lemon law in your state because they have 4 times to fix the same mechanical issue and paint is usually only 1-2 attempts. I didn't find this out until later...

Where my dealer kept screwing me over was they would buff it then wax it and it looked good when I picked it up.. After about a week I would wash it and severe buffing/scratch marks would appear. When you pick it up from the dealer ask them if there will be any swirl marks or scratches after you wash it. It has been known to happen, LOL....
Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
TheHorse13

I'm way ahead of you. The attorney general publishes the steps for taking action for lemon law cases. I'm poised and ready should they not complete the repair properly.

BTW, you should file a BBB case and then call GM and provide them with your case number. I bet you'll see results once you do that.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
rover1newton

Quote:
I'm way ahead of you. The attorney general publishes the steps for taking action for lemon law cases. I'm poised and ready should they not complete the repair properly.

BTW, you should file a BBB case and then call GM and provide them with your case number. I bet you'll see results once you do that.
I have made a claim with GM Customer Service and one with the BBB... They are still dragging butt a bit but once the BBB got involved they are moving a little faster...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
You are a better man than I. For me it would have been a toss up of driving it through the showroom, or just reaching for my gun. He actually tried to tell you it was like that before you dropped it off? They would have made you sign a disclaimer or something.
I don't believe you are legally obligated to let them fix the damage, but you would have to sue them for the damages. That whole car is going to have to be stripped and repainted and if they dont have a good paint setup the chance for orange peel etc. are pretty high.
coloeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
TheHorse13

Yep. He stood there like a champ and lied right to me. The same guy did this to me when I took delivery of the car too. I had a damaged wheel and I showed it to him. He tried to tell me that I did it.

I escalated to the dealership GM and he's taking the car into the paint booth next week. The GM didn't give me a bit of hassle either. He knew that the car was not like that when it came in and he even said he was sorry about what happened.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
But HOW did it get chipped, did they say?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #12
TheHorse13

They never explained but I pointed out that the entire back of the dealership was a torn up construction zone. You can see that all cars coming out of the service bay must go through what looks like a gravel filled dirt road. My theory is that they loaded the tires up with gravel and then blasted my paint when they test drove it on the highway. There is a major highway right next to the dealership.

On top of that, they opened the drivers door into something. Of course they said they didn't but the car didn't grow a 1/4 inch gash on the door lip by itself. Oh and the car washer must have used a bucket of mud when he washed the car because they scratched the hell out of the mirror finish that was on the car when it went in.

It goes back this coming week to be fixed. It's going over to the shop where the GM resides.

Stay tuned.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
They never explained but I pointed out that the entire back of the dealership was a torn up construction zone. You can see that all cars coming out of the service bay must go through what looks like a gravel filled dirt road. My theory is that they loaded the tires up with gravel and then blasted my paint when they test drove it on the highway. There is a major highway right next to the dealership.

On top of that, they opened the drivers door into something. Of course they said they didn't but the car didn't grow a 1/4 inch gash on the door lip by itself. Oh and the car washer must have used a bucket of mud when he washed the car because they scratched the hell out of the mirror finish that was on the car when it went in.

It goes back this coming week to be fixed. It's going over to the shop where the GM resides.

Stay tuned.
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Those chips on the gill area are very common on these cars, is it your a daily driver? How many miles to you have on it? It's possible they were there before you brought it in and you just didn't notice.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote