Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Ultimate_Bumblebee
On order 2LT Rally yellow

Drives: Acura TSX 2007, 2LT T-form edi
Unavailable black stripes?

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time registered and poster.

I ordered my 2LT and have been promised Sept for delivery.

I was told my order would be put in at the end of July.

Since then, the manager said that black stripes are temporary unavailable?! I see that a lot of people are doing after market here on this forum. Is this the reason why?

What's going on with GM? I've been getting nothing but the run-around while trying to purchase this puppy, now this?

I want my Bumblebee!
Ultimate_Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
HHmmmm! I don't see why the car couldn't ship with out the stripes..... mine did and I have the 2SS! Been waiting on my black stripes for 3 weeks now!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
None of the dealer installed stripes actually come in the car. The Box is too big. Dealer is BS'ing you.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Dealer installed stripes come under separate shippment. I took delivery of the car on 7/1, dealer called me on 7/8 and said the stripes were in. Only a one week delay for me, no big deal.

I'm getting the stripes put on myself, don't want the dealer to screw it up, so I picked up the stripes and brought them home. (The box is not too big for the car, I brought them home in the box in the car) End of box on rear shelf, front of box on pass. head rest.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
My stripes arrived at the dealer 1 week before the car. Most dealers bring in someone who does stripping to do it.
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Ultimate_Bumblebee

I thought it was black paint that was painted on at the factory! So this is just dealer installed stripe stickers? WOW! They look good but what a joke! $533 option for stickers.

I'll let the dealership know to ship the stripes at a later date if possible. Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
kroache

Drives: IBM Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Bumblebee View Post
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time registered and poster.

I ordered my 2LT and have been promised Sept for delivery.

I was told my order would be put in at the end of July.

Since then, the manager said that black stripes are temporary unavailable?! I see that a lot of people are doing after market here on this forum. Is this the reason why?

What's going on with GM? I've been getting nothing but the run-around while trying to purchase this puppy, now this?

I want my Bumblebee!
When I checked my Order Workbench a while back (TPW 7/13) I noticed that my Silver Rally Stripes (Dealer Install) now showed "No Longer Avail". My Salesman is checking with the Area Manager to try and determine what's happened. I initially figured they might have discontinued the Silver stripes but perhaps it has nothing to do with the colour.

Kevin
kroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Ultimate_Bumblebee

When did they say yours would be delivered? September also? Looks like a July order date. I'm going to check with my dealer at the end of the month when he's supposed to order the car for me.

I'm going to see if I can get a dealership guy to reply to this thread. I saw a few of them on this site.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
sheesh

Drives: nonr
I notice alot of you on here seem to be afraid to have your striping done by the dealership as apposed to factory.

FYI.. 99% of dealers use a local vehicle wrap shop to do their graphics / striping. If you're concerned, just ask the dealer who they get to do the striping.

also.. it's faster to get your striping through a local shop rather than ordering it from the factory. Just make sure they use 3M 220 scotchcal vinyl.

hope that helps!
sheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
2LT/RS

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS
I've been waiting for about three weeks for mine also. The dealership I bought mine at uses a graphics company to install the stripes. They do all the wraps arounds for business vehicles so they should do a good job. If they don't then they'll get peeled off and re-installed, but I won't be paying twice.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
kroache

Drives: IBM Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Bumblebee View Post
When did they say yours would be delivered? September also? Looks like a July order date. I'm going to check with my dealer at the end of the month when he's supposed to order the car for me.

I'm going to see if I can get a dealership guy to reply to this thread. I saw a few of them on this site.
Not sure if this question is directed to me but I ordered back on May2nd. Mine is scheduled to be built sometime this week (TPW 7/13 - fingers crossed). My Sales Rep says if it does build on schedule, he hopes to see it at the dealership before the end of July. Based on some painful experiences from others on this board I realize that everything in the universe has to line up properly for that to happen....but I sure am hoping that's how it goes

Kevin
kroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
Ultimate_Bumblebee

Thanks Kroache! I asked you because apparently at my dealership, there was another guy who's order gets put in with me at the end of July and we'll get our cars in September (but we'll see since everybody is having trouble getting theirs).

I've literally seen NO Camaro's on the street anywhere!

What I'm wondering now is why my dealer didn't tell me that the stripes were something you put on after? You guys are all saying it gets delivered later than the car and it gets installed? So there is a choice?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Ultimate - You need to do a little reaserch on here. Stripes is a topic that has been greatly debated for some time. Hylton has an excellent thread on stripes. Search button is your friend. But here's a few tid-bits (guys - feel free to correct anything I mess up - if you know for sure it's wrong - but don't fire tomatoes).

- The stripes are vinyl
- blacks are flat black
- They are 3M, so they are good quality.
- I strongly recommend having your dealer take care of installation. They (like most) will chicken out and hire a professional to install them (mine did). BUT, IF they screw them up, their problem, not yours. And, if you order the stripes with the car (i.e. not just over the parts counter) then installation is included.
- ONLY white and cyber gray stripes are factory installed and ONLY on the 2LTs and 2SS's (that doesn't make sense - don't ask why)
- Proper installation of rear deck lid stripes (with a spoiler) requires removal of the spoiler. MAKE SURE that you check they adequately retightened the spoiler after reinstalation (but not over tightened).
- The stripes come in a big flat box. Will it fit in the car? probably yes as someone has said. Would it fit in such a way that they would ship them in the car? no.
- The Cdn price for the GM stripes is a bit pricy. But to have a quality shop install them using quality (vinyl) material, you're going to be in the same neighbourhood (maybe save $100 - unless you "know" somebody - remember, I said quality)
- Also on the price, I too wanted painted. I looked into that. Down the road I may get them painted (always the option to go vinyl to paint - not so much the other way around). Don't underestimate the cost of painted stripes. It is expensive. Again, for quality work, to properly reclear the entire panels, you're talking 3-4x the price of vinyl.

Lots of people will debate my points above re: price. But again, I'm talking about top quality workmanship and materials, WITHOUT the "I know a guy..." factor.

Take that for what you will - it's just my opinion - oh, and if you look hard enough you'll find posts by me stating that I would never want flat black vinyl stripes. Now that I have them, I wouldn't have anything else.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
Ultimate_Bumblebee

Thanks for that thorough answer Canadian Camaro! That was great! I'll try to use the search button more next time.