Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #29
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Black always did look good :3, cant wait to paint mine.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Just curious. What tool do you use to fasten/unscrew the bolts on the outer taillights? Nothing I have can get close to them. Socket wrench with an extender? Normal wrench? Some other tool I may have not heard of?

I currently have a standard socket wrench and it can't reach the bottom bolt.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Just curious. What tool do you use to fasten/unscrew the bolts on the outer taillights? Nothing I have can get close to them. Socket wrench with an extender? Normal wrench? Some other tool I may have not heard of?

I currently have a standard socket wrench and it can't reach the bottom bolt.
You can get an open end wrench on them if you remove the bulbs. BTW mine were only on finger tight when i removed mine this past weekend.
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
I get the two top tabs off but the bottom ones won't come off for the life of me. Ill try again tomorrow. -_-

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #33
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
I get the two top tabs off but the bottom ones won't come off for the life of me. Ill try again tomorrow. -_-

The rubber wedge trick works the best. i also couldn't get the bottoms ones unclipped and ended up just using the rubber wedge to pop them out with no issues.
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidDragon View Post
You can get an open end wrench on them if you remove the bulbs. BTW mine were only on finger tight when i removed mine this past weekend.
Thanks. Same here. I had no issue taking the nuts off, but putting them on is taking a while. 2+ hours and counting plus brainstorming to devise some sort of hack to get around the fact that my fingers barely fit. By balling my hand even slightly to hold the nut, I can't come close to fitting it down there. I'm thinking of putting the nut's washer on the edge of a long piece of scotch tape and lowering it down into place, then spinning it just enough to get it partially threaded. Putting that engineering degree to work. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post

Search for "body panel removal" on Amazon. I got a very cheap kit for a few bucks with a couple prying tools. These things make removing the bezels insanely easy and won't damage them. You'll be able to hook it right into the crevices where the clips are located and pop them out in about 1 minute per bezel. My bezels were too securely fastened to be removed by hand, and I have no doubt I would've broken them if I tried it.

Last edited by RenegadeXR; 12-31-2013 at 09:02 AM.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #35
Brazensol

Drives: 2013 2SS
Did the driver side tonight and will finish other side tomorrow. I found the easiest way to get the bezel off was to work it around from the top in one direction ( I went clockwise but doubt it matters). The first one put up a fight and tried the c/w method on the second one and it came right off.

Be very careful with the tabs. I broke one while I was sanding the chrome plating. It didn't take much effort at all to break it so it may have already been damaged.

Also be careful while prying the bezel off so as not to damage the paint on the bumper/surround. Tomorrow I am going to put some tape under the bezel where it meets the bumper/surround just to be on the safe side. I did put a very minor blemish on the bumper/surround today so don't want to take the chance of doing it again. Otherwise this is an easy mod and really makes the car look nice!!!

Forgot to add I am smoking the taillights too!
Brazensol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #36
Mikey D

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Awesome DIY, thank you. Just installed mine today. I broke 2 of the original bezels, both inner ones. But these are cheap pieces of shit so no worries. I had trouble getting the top plugs back in completely on both sides. Wish we could have the smoked tail lights here.

Mikey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #37
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D View Post
Awesome DIY, thank you. Just installed mine today. I broke 2 of the original bezels, both inner ones. But these are cheap pieces of shit so no worries. I had trouble getting the top plugs back in completely on both sides. Wish we could have the smoked tail lights here.

Looks great man! Glad you guys liked the DIY, appreciate it!

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote