Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
I daily drive a 750 whp ZL1 Camaro.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
g8lover

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Like others said just drive like an adult.... dont nail it ever... ... roll into it...

I have a good amount over 900rwhp and drive all over.... just dont forget about the power and drive easy... sometimes going to far will make you slower as you can punch it like you used too...

once you get it you will want more.. and more... I am adding nitrous this winter on top of what I already have... its a drug...

enjoy it...
Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The most imprtant thing not to do.......nail it while turning. That will give you slot orouble.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
I wanted a project car with big numbers, but lately I've seen some videos on youtube of people crashing their cars because they cant handle them and.. I got kinda scared, this may sound stupid but I never tough of drivability of car with such a high HP...
I would say that the very fact that you ask the question, thus understand what you have on tap, tells me you'll not be on a youtube fail video anytime soon. Most of those folks have no understanding of what they have, much less how to handle it. I think you'll be alright
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
thanks everybody for the good tips, to begin with I think I`ll install a roll bar and try to adjust my self to the car, I guess is kind of a learning curve, ILL upload some videos of the finished project, thanks everybody!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #20
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
What you see in the videos are of people showing off and have no skill with driving high HP cars and then crash cause of their ignorance catching up, doesn't matter what brand it is. If you are responsible you shouldn't have any problems at all. Just make sure you know your limits and PRACTICE in an closed area to see what the car's limits are also.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
hello Everyone, as I'm on the final week of my 3 year project I just realize I might have done a overkill here, according to the shop who is building my engine, the engine will be on the 700-800 RWHP range... and I'm afraid that's to much for me, the most powerful car I ever drove it is my 15' GT @ 460hp but I always had the nannies on and the car is really easy to handle, but my old z28 will not have all the nannies and I'm afraid I will crash it on the first corner, to be honest, I think I become afraid to drive such a monster...

700 rwhp is ok for a street car? and how it feels compared with a normal HP camaro?

what advice can you give me?

thanks guys

My advice is two fold:

1) ain't you forgetting the impact of available torque? You're keying on hp numbers a lot

2) the gas pedal is not an on/off switch
Old 01-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Keep your foot out of it, and remember where you want to shift, (hopefully you have a shift light) as staying low in the rpms shifting handles the power better than hitting a gear and getting fishy and with all the torque you have to remember not to take off fast.

You say you have a new rear but that does not tell the story of if you have poly bushings, a heavy duty diff cover from LPW, or a ford 9" or a zl1 rear with axles. And a new rear is nice if its built and its geometry is good with good trailing arms and toes and etc etc. but that's talking 5th gen some and your driveline is built I hope.

Torque is what moves you, it also makes the car want to squat on a v-8 on the right rear first and getting the suspension tuned for launch to drag requires even more parts if you really want to put all the power to the ground there is only really the track. You will learn the car, it just takes driving it. And learn it wants to torque with the engine and that makes the right rear want to go right so be especially careful in rain if driving aggressively.
I have been keeping my shift light at 3500 for breaking in my new engine. I am done for a couple thousand miles that way and now its time to change to LS30 oil and raise the shift light to 5500 that way its 500 before when I want to shift if driving aggressively. That gives me a cushion if I do not shift right in speed and usually daily driving I stay low in the rpms saving gas anyway driving in the city.....

Good luck
Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Take it easy on the street till you get use to it. No need to be a 16 year old in your first car. Then once you get the handle of it take it to the track just to get the curiosity out of your system. Its a fun and safe way to let loose .

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #24
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
It's a 3 year project and all you have is an engine? You're only $15,000 away from being able to reliably use that power or you will just be getting spanked by cars with much less power. It sounds great so far though, could be a really fast car with that kind of power in a 4th gen you may just want to take the drag car route and give up on cornering and long sunday drives.

You will need a high dollar trans, differential, axles, suspension, tires, safety...basically the whole rest of the car, otherwise it will be an unreliable deathtrap that will be really really dangerous if you try to open her up on the street.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #25
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
800hp in a 4th gen and an inexperienced operator with high HP. You'll either learn fast or die trying. Good luck. Should be fun. Just keep it at the track.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #26
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
My builder told me my car would either go like a bat oughta hell or into a ditch backwards at over a hundred mph... Shes gone like a bat oughta hell but never into a ditch...

I'm substantially over 800 rwhp... and I took it in steps...

Take lots of time... and NEVER EVER forget what you have on tap...

You need to always always pay attention to the car when driving on the street... I don't text, or talk on the phone, or fiddle with anything... in my Camaro, My truck is a different story but I use the phone hands free

I wouldn't take it straight to a drag strip either... Concrete walls are very unforgiving... Take it to an airport style high speed event when you feel you are ready to graduate...

They are wide open and you can run a solo pass rather than next to anyone...

Make sure the alignment is spot on... This helps way more than some think... If the tires do break loose badly it'll usually help at least keep her nose headed in the right direction while you get off the gas...

I've gotten sideways badly three times.. and I clearly remember every one of them... and don't repeat what led up to it... On the street I'll run almost twice the power you have, on the track about three times that much... Take your time, learn it as you go...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #27
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
It's a 3 year project and all you have is an engine? You're only $15,000 away from being able to reliably use that power or you will just be getting spanked by cars with much less power. It sounds great so far though, could be a really fast car with that kind of power in a 4th gen you may just want to take the drag car route and give up on cornering and long sunday drives.

You will need a high dollar trans, differential, axles, suspension, tires, safety...basically the whole rest of the car, otherwise it will be an unreliable deathtrap that will be really really dangerous if you try to open her up on the street.
its not only the engine, the car is fully build to hold the power, I bought the 4l80 stage 4 trans from Maddog trans. I actually whent with a Level 4 Koni Handling Performance Package from BMR (I though It was from eibach but I was mistaken) so no drag setup for me, Im saving now to build the watt link for the rear end to improve even more the car stability and also add a roll cage.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #28
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Just respect the car and the power it has..and you'll be fine. Your right foot just needs to be kept in check

Think of it as an animal...if you don't respect it it'll spin around and make you look stupid..or dead.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote