Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #1443
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Still waiting on Ron to call.

He said he wants to pick it up tomorrow.

Sounds like fun. It's all good...
Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #1444
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Well, I have dynoed at shops that have a disclaimer you sign that says if it blows up, it's your problem.

As far as a shop that had just done mods on your car it would be interesting to know how they'd react.

Covered be the shop?

I bet only after they take it apart and determine it was a part THEY did.
No disrespect to the hypothetical shop, but I feel like they would treat it the same way GM treats warranties. If they can say and prove its your part/poor treatment/etc that made the engine go poop then that's money they don't have to spend.

*and yes "poop" is the technical term that mechanics use to describe a bad engine*
Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #1445
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
No disrespect to the hypothetical shop, but I feel like they would treat it the same way GM treats warranties. If they can say and prove its your part/poor treatment/etc that made the engine go poop then that's money they don't have to spend.

*and yes "poop" is the technical term that mechanics use to describe a bad engine*
I though it was "pop" or it took a dump as the more technical terms...

I know as a subsea engineer we use the term, "XXXX took a Shxt," though we don't actually write it up that way... it's used to describe an event in phone conversations all the time... crude, but effective...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #1446
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Well, Vengeance picks up the car on Monday. So here we go.

I told Ron that I was kinda hoping it was a lifter anyway. Gives me a reason to jump in.

NO torque converter. We'll do that later. But here is the general parts list for the install.

Custom Camshaft
TEA/PAC .650 Lift Dual Gold Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers - Uses Stock Locks
Comp 5/16 7.400 Hardened Pushrods
Comp Trunion Kit for Stock Rockers
Katech C5R Timing Chain
GM "Dogbone" Tensioner
Melling High Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
Comp Drop In High Performance Lifters
GM LS2 Front Cover LOADED
GM LS2 Lifter Trays (set of 4)
3 Bolt Conversion Timing Gear - NON VVT
ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit
GM 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets- PAIR
NGK RT6 Plugs
3.2" Drive Pulley
Gates Belt for smaller diameter pulley
KBB Boost Pump for forced induction
Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #1447
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

I told Ron that I was kinda hoping it was a lifter anyway. Gives me a reason to jump in.

NO torque converter. We'll do that later. But here is the general parts list for the install.

Custom Camshaft
TEA/PAC .650 Lift Dual Gold Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers - Uses Stock Locks
Katech C5R Timing Chain
GM "Dogbone" Tensioner
NGK RT6 Plugs
3.2" Drive Pulley

Awesome. Now you have an 11 sec car...
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #1448
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post

Awesome. Now you have an 11 sec car...
As soon as I get these crap wheels off. LOL

I'm pretty stoked about it. I still havent' found a wheel I like to replace these with. I need to though. So I know exactly how much to ask for these.

It's gonna be a few weeks til I can pick it up though. Bruce, you just don't understand. Two weeks......... It'll be excrutiating.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #1449
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
PQ, make sure you check my post about your fuel system in the huggerorange thread.

Oh, hell... I'll just repost it here...

PQ:
I don't mean to act like I am a know it all here, but as I just went through a very similar upgrade on my car, I noticed something in your parts list.
With that maggie (and 3.2" pulley) with that cam, you may need to upgrade your fuel system (unless I missed something). The injectors that came with my maggie were not big enough once my cam went in (They would have been over 90% duty cycles). So, I upgraded to 65# injectors.

I also had a dual fuel hat installed when my cam went in.. I wasn't comfortable with the stock fuel pump and BAP.

You are going to be making more boost than I am (I'm at 8.5 lbs) because I have a 3.4" pulley and you are going with a 3.2"

Running out of fuel with a maggie can be disastrous. I was adamant with the shop about over doing the fuel system.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #1450
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
PQ:
I don't mean to act like I am a know it all here, but as I just went through a very similar upgrade on my car, I noticed something in your parts list.
With that maggie (and 3.2" pulley) with that cam, you may need to upgrade your fuel system (unless I missed something). The injectors that came with my maggie were not big enough once my cam went in (They would have been over 90% duty cycles). So, I upgraded to 65# injectors.

I also had a dual fuel hat installed when my cam went in.. I wasn't comfortable with the stock fuel pump and BAP.

You are going to be making more boost than I am (I'm at 8.5 lbs) because I have a 3.4" pulley and you are going with a 3.2"

Running out of fuel with a maggie can be disastrous. I was adamant with the shop about over doing the fuel system.
I already have 65# injectors. And we are expecting around the same boost as you have. More agressive cam. ?
At 7.5 pounds and 470 rwhp I never lost pressure at all. So upping the boost and the power, plus adding a BAP should be just fine.

And if there is a need, I'll change it. But a safe tune and dynoed in the southern heat should be test enough. Plus all of the other builds they've done. I"m not worried about it.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #1451
Darth_Emma

Quote:
I already have 65# injectors. And we are expecting around the same boost as you have. More agressive cam. ?
At 7.5 pounds and 470 rwhp I never lost pressure at all. So upping the boost and the power, plus adding a BAP should be just fine.

And if there is a need, I'll change it. But a safe tune and dynoed in the southern heat should be test enough. Plus all of the other builds they've done. I"m not worried about it.
Cool. IPS said that a dual fuel pump was not required for mine, but they already had the rear end out of the car and easy access to the gas tank. So, I asked them to install the dual fuel hat.

I was at 7.5-8 lbs before the cam (3.6" pulley). It dropped to 7 lbs when the cam went in. So, I had them swap the pulley to a 3.4" and now I'm at about 8.5 lbs of boost. You could be over 9 lbs with a 3.2" pulley.

Good luck with your cam! You are so going to love it.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #1452
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Oh Charlie told me " Don't stand in front of the car in case the straps break" I had visions of my car shooting out the door like some horror movie gone wrong. Of course they were messing with me about that.

I kept looking at Charlie and he just smiled as it rev'd. I was waiting for him to mess with me and turn the car off and go "Uh Oh" I would have shit a brick/but they didn't play any jokes on me about that.
Don't worry...Charlie gets messed with too....

When my oil pump crapped out...they went back into the shop and told Charlie...'Hey, Alex's motor blew up and he is PISSED'... I would have paid to see the look on his face.

The only time you have to keep your distance from the dyno around there is when Charlie puts his truck on it....make sure and ask him about his driveshaft....

As far as the warranty...I don't think you can expect much out of any speedshop...unless they are grossly negligent. So it's a risk. That's why choosing a shop is so important...and why it's so important for shops to protect their reputation.

When I was 'shop shopping', I could find plenty of good about most shops. Then I started looking for the bad...wanna guess what I found?
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #1453
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Glad you're finally getting your cam Randy.

I couldn't imagine running a 3.2" pulley on the Whipple considering it comes with a 4" pulley.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #1454
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:

Custom Camshaft
Katech C5R Timing Chain
GM "Dogbone" Tensioner
NGK RT6 Plugs
3.2" Drive Pulley
You should add an MGW shifter to that list...they are the bomb! Oh wait...

(That was for GTAHVIT... )
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1455
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Cool. IPS said that a dual fuel pump was not required for mine, but they already had the rear end out of the car and easy access to the gas tank. So, I asked them to install the dual fuel hat.

I was at 7.5-8 lbs before the cam (3.6" pulley). It dropped to 7 lbs when the cam went in. So, I had them swap the pulley to a 3.4" and now I'm at about 8.5 lbs of boost. You could be over 9 lbs with a 3.2" pulley.

Good luck with your cam! You are so going to love it.
I think a bigger cam would allow more lost boost. I assume that's what Ron is getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post

When I was 'shop shopping', I could find plenty of good about most shops. Then I started looking for the bad...wanna guess what I found?
Mobile Alabama? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
Glad you're finally getting your cam Randy.

I couldn't imagine running a 3.2" pulley on the Whipple considering it comes with a 4" pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
You should add an MGW shifter to that list...they are the bomb! Oh wait...

(That was for GTAHVIT... )
LOL

Perhaps he could have used that in arizona? Hahahahaha
Old 06-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #1456
Darth_Emma

Quote:
I think a bigger cam would allow more lost boost. I assume that's what Ron is getting at.
Gotcha.

You know (I know you know, but I'll say it anyway) a big cam really needs a stall. If you think your car is surging now...

My car surges a bit with a stall. I can't imagine it without the stall. When you come to a red light, don't get too close to the guy in front of you. Be prepared to stand on the brake (especially when the car is cold). Mine surges most when it's not yet warmed up. AND it does it in reverse. I won't let my husband back it into the garage or we'd have another garage door.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle