Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
eblake98

Drives: 2010 Black
L99 Corsa and Hotchkis Brace

Will the center section of the brace fit over the Corsa XO pipe?
Thanks
eblake98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
It should, yes. Hotchkis also offers a spacer kit for the brace, but I haven't seen an exhaust under 3.5" need the spacers yet.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
eblake98

Thanks

Everything I have seen shows clearance on other setups , it's just the L99 seems to move more under torque, hence the flex couplings on the Cats..so that was my concern
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I believe the issues are related to the lower clearance of long tube headers....not 2.5" exhausts standing on their own.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
eblake98

Does anybody with a L99 have the Corsa and the Hotchkis Brace?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Eblake98 – Our Chassis Max Brace is designed to work with most aftermarket exhaust systems, even the Corsa. If you need a ½” extra clearance we do offer an additional spacer kit. A lot of Camaro5 members are running the brace with great performance gains and many different exhaust systems. Maybe somebody with a Corsa kit will chime in.

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblake98 View Post
Will the center section of the brace fit over the Corsa XO pipe?
Thanks
Barely - just did mine today and used washers until I order the spacer kit. I agree, it is more the way the headers (ARH / Corsa in my case) swoop down. It is an impressive piece of design.

Hotchkis - I already spent $500 and change for your brace - now u are nicking me an add'l sixty to make it work right . I actually tried last week several times to call u guys and order the spacers - no one seems to pickup the tel or return calls with messages left. I spoke to one of your distributors in Utah who only agreed you folks are 'very' difficult to get a hold of...

You may have tested it with different exhausts - but what about headers with those different exhaust?

I came very close today to packing this up and taking the hit on restocking charges and sending it back to Maryland Speed. What was fustrating, was that I felt I needed the spacers, tried to get them, and failed to have them in hand.

p.s. I had Jannetty Racing install these and needless to say a 'good impression' was not left...

Last edited by ADIO SS; 09-14-2011 at 07:19 PM.
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
ADIO SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Eblake98 – Our Chassis Max Brace is designed to work with most aftermarket exhaust systems, even the Corsa. If you need a ½” extra clearance we do offer an additional spacer kit. A lot of Camaro5 members are running the brace with great performance gains and many different exhaust systems. Maybe somebody with a Corsa kit will chime in.

Is it 1/2" as mentioned above or 3/8"??????????? SKU 38104-part# 38104

2010-2011 Camaro V6/Camaro SS V8 - Hotchkis - Chassis Max Spacer Kit For Large Exhaust Systems - 38104

Due to the manufacturing specifications of some brands of long tube headers and exhaust, it may be neccessary for some cars running the Chassis Max brace to purchase this shim kit to clear the exhaust system. We offer this aluminum shim kit which will lower the entire brace assembly 3/8". Kit comes complete with 6 aluminum spacers and longer grade 10.9 hardware. Note: This kit is for shims only, brace not included.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
ADIO SS – Not sure why you have such a tough time getting in touch, we pride ourselves on having a friendly receptionist and customer service reps that always either answer or return calls promptly. In fact, as soon as we saw this on the forum we called you, and it’s the first time we actually spoke with you, so maybe you were calling after hours? As we mentioned on the phone, The Chassis Max Brace was designed for 99% of the Camaros on the road. To include the additional shim kit with the brace, it would make the cost go up for everyone that didn’t need them and we didn’t feel that was right, that’s why the shim kit is a separate piece. When selling these kits, the salesperson should be asking what changes the customer may have done to their vehicle in order to avoid installation hassles like this. As for fitment issues, if it has some clearance problems with your headers, you may want to talk to the header company as well.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
ADIO SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
ADIO SS – Not sure why you have such a tough time getting in touch, we pride ourselves on having a friendly receptionist and customer service reps that always either answer or return calls promptly. In fact, as soon as we saw this on the forum we called you, and it’s the first time we actually spoke with you, so maybe you were calling after hours? As we mentioned on the phone, The Chassis Max Brace was designed for 99% of the Camaros on the road. To include the additional shim kit with the brace, it would make the cost go up for everyone that didn’t need them and we didn’t feel that was right, that’s why the shim kit is a separate piece. When selling these kits, the salesperson should be asking what changes the customer may have done to their vehicle in order to avoid installation hassles like this. As for fitment issues, if it has some clearance problems with your headers, you may want to talk to the header company as well.
Don't want to turn this into a "he / he said" but - Hotchkis did not call me (b.s.), I called you.

Understand your position on not initiallly providing the shim kit, and agree the seller should ask a few more questions about the application before asking for the credit card #.

I ordered a shim kit from you directly and do I appreciate the way our conversation went. Looking forwarding to receiving the shim kit on Thurs. pm.

p.s.
As for fitment issues, if it has some clearance problems with your headers, you may want to talk to the header company as well.
--> as we discussed, 'most' headers swoop down a little bit more than the stock pipes do. The angle of the exhaust pipes changes slighly as it runs up into the tunnel. No need for me to contact the header company...

The stock resonator on a L99 is actually shaped narrower as it goes over the tunnel brace. I have a Corsa system and the resonators, coupled with the headers, changes the clearance as it goes into / over the tunnel brace. This is where your 1/2" shims are going to remediate the problem.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
eblake98

Just installed the shims and they alleviated all my associated unwanted noises. They are mandatory for the Corsa L99 XO Pipe in my opinion. Just wish Hotchkis included new nuts with the kit..I retired out of Aviation and self locking nuts with nylon inserts are not reused.