Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
nine1wing

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Hows the car in the snow

Sorry fellow mustang owner here from michigan and my winter car died a month ago so for the remainder of winter I"m forced to drive my car in the snow. Got 2 toolboxes, 2 rims, sparetire, in the trunk with the other 2 rims in the back seats. lol it aint fun, just wondering if some of you that are forced to drive your camaro are holding up
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Dude, just put two snow tires on and take all that crap out of your car!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Absolutely fine with the right tires. The LS/LT with all seasons is quite capable. The SS needs the Ice and Snows. But with those tires, an SS is pretty good in the snow too. It is one of the best RWD cars I've driven in Michigan.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
No problems driving in the snow this year and we had an abundance of it.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Maverickhpr

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2LT RS
We don't get snow much where I live in Oregon but we get that frozen rain and all I have is the stock allseason tires and she handles fine as long as I take it slow and steady but it is unique driving on a sheet of ice
Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
My car doesn't see sone, ok, well she does, but she doesn't get to go play in it. She sits in the garagae all winter long until the snow is off the streets.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
booenson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS M6
Tried driving with a light dusting on the ground, absolutely no traction with the stock summer only Pirellis
booenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Great in snow with the right tires!
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
ObseSSed

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 RJT
I don't put snow tires on. I tried it with less than an inch of slushy snow and I couldn't get it out of my driveway (which has a pitch to it). I decided never to drive it in the snow and I wait until the roads are clear again.

However, if I had snow tires, it is probably a completely different story.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
I think the V6 is much better do to not having as much torque, as long as i have started out in M2 no slipping or getting stuck I was throughly surprised at how well the car did compared to my FWD Grand Prix GT. Granted I have put 100pds of Sand and 40 Pounds of salt in the truck it was a very stable car in the snow.
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
LS with manual and stock tires, mine is very good in the snow.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
StreetReporter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS Black on Black
I was going to post a reply, but I've answered this question so many times on here. So I'll just shut up!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
You_Blabbed_Quaid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I bought my 2SS a few weeks back and had what is normally a 2 hour drive back home on the freeway. Well it started snowing heavily and ended up becoming a 4 hour ordeal through a blizzard. The car has Perelli Scorpions on it and handled alright. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground and the ass end of the car would swing out if I went too heavy on the gas. If you keep everything nice and smooth and one gear above where you should be everything is okay. Also, I did not have any weight in the trunk. I will put a few sandbags back there next year to improve stability. I was more concerned about people hitting my new f**king car!

It was definitely NOT the weather I wanted to drive in the first time in a Camaro. All my previous cars had been 4 bangers with front wheel drive!! Regardless I feel that now that I have driven through that nightmare nothing will ever be worse. So yes, the car can drive in the snow as long as you have winter tires on and baby it.
You_Blabbed_Quaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Blabbed_Quaid View Post
I bought my 2SS a few weeks back and had what is normally a 2 hour drive back home on the freeway. Well it started snowing heavily and ended up becoming a 4 hour ordeal through a blizzard. The car has Perelli Scorpions on it and handled alright. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground and the ass end of the car would swing out if I went too heavy on the gas. If you keep everything nice and smooth and one gear above where you should be everything is okay. Also, I did not have any weight in the trunk. I will put a few sandbags back there next year to improve stability. I was more concerned about people hitting my new f**king car!

It was definitely NOT the weather I wanted to drive in the first time in a Camaro. All my previous cars had been 4 bangers with front wheel drive!! Regardless I feel that now that I have driven through that nightmare nothing will ever be worse. So yes, the car can drive in the snow as long as you have winter tires on and baby it.
When I picked up my car last year it started snowing also. Not all that heavily but enough to make me nervous with my brand new car.