Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #113
Chevybum2488
2010 2LT/RS SW/CGstripe

Drives: 98 Monte Carlo Z34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwagonss View Post
Well, it seems either I did something wrong or one of the parts doesn't work.
I finished the drivers side dash piece last night and the EL light doesn't light up.
I tested the socket in the car and am getting power there.
I also pealed the shrink tube back off to see if I lost any connections and didn't.
I am using the 0-4 foot module for the dash.
I bought plenty of light wire, so maybe I'll try again with a new little piece.
I also bought a 4-8 foot module, so I can try that module with at least a 4 foot piece of light wire to see if I got a bad module.

By the way, the modules have a switch that says OFF-MU-FULL.
I assume MU is flashing and FULL is on all the time?

There is no polarity with these wires is there?

you might have the wires backwards going into the el driver, that does make a difference, but not going into the light itself. may want to try reversing the connections if you havent already. hope this helps.
Chevybum2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #114
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
By the way, the modules have a switch that says OFF-MU-FULL.
I assume MU is flashing and FULL is on all the time?

There is no polarity with these wires is there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevybum2488 View Post
you might have the wires backwards going into the el driver, that does make a difference, but not going into the light itself. may want to try reversing the connections if you havent already. hope this helps.
Yup, MU is flash mode....

Definitely check the polarity. I'm positive this is your issue.
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #115
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
You will need to have the plastic trim pieces in order to get the ABL to work.
The light will not go through the material inserts. There will be kits available soon .... http://www.gm.oeaccessories.com/newm...PL2VUN61AdU%3d

I'm not even sure if the 1SS, or the 1LT have the right connectors Maybe you can check to see if the plug is there on the drivers side ( above the fuse box ). if it's there, check to see if there's power when the lights are on. Let us know
I don't know for sure either and I don't know if anybody has checked the 1LT or 1SS but I'm thinking they used the same wiring harness for all the models. Just a guess on my part.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #116
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
I don't know for sure either and I don't know if anybody has checked the 1LT or 1SS but I'm thinking they used the same wiring harness for all the models. Just a guess on my part.
I would really like to know if it does. I won't be able to get my 1SS until summer next year after my Silverado is paid off.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #117
bkwagonss

Drives: 2011 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevybum2488 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Yup, MU is flash mode....

Definitely check the polarity. I'm positive this is your issue.
Thanks, that was the problem, it works now!
Funny there isn't any markings on the driver to indicate which way to hook it up. Trial and error I guess.
Now on to the longer passenger side.

I only ordered one 4-8 driver module for the doors so I'm going to order the other module tonight.
I haven't opened up the doors yet, is the plug for the lighting in the doors the same as the plug in the dash?
I bought the $27 jack from GM for the dash lights.
But I think I'm just going to tap into the wire for the doors.
I can't see spending another $54 for two more jacks.

By the way, the rigid aquarium tubing bends pretty easy with heat from a blow dryer. I bought enough rigid tubing to do the doors but I didn't know if it could bend enough to do the tight radius. So I also bought 3/16 clear flex tubing. It fits tight over the rigid tubing. I was going to use it to connect 2 pieces of rigid, but it can also be used to do the tighter turns around the door. I'll take pictures when I get to the doors.

Has anyone done the doors with the EL wire yet?
1971 C10 (restoring, including LT1 from Caprice)
bkwagonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #118
ThunderSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
camarorick,
When sanding the trim ,
did you sand down to the ridge, or did you sand down an 1/8" 3/16" further past the ridge?
It's hard to tell in you pics..
I sanded mine down to the ridge, and it looks like if I went down another 1/8th inch (max) I would get more light showing at eye level... I just don't wont to go to far and screw it up..
Thanks for any help.
also do you have the part number for the plug that fits the Gm plug???

I am doing mine with the Inferno Orange( cause well that's my interior color lol) I test fitted the Driver side piece.. I had a 120v to 12v converter, and stuck the EL wire behind the trim piece, and it wasn't to bad it matches up with the door color perfectly.. .. like I said I think if I went down a bit further it would show up better..
Daniel

2010 Camaro SS/RS HKE Forged 416 CID
http://www.fquick.com/ThunderZ28
510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
ThunderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #119
bkwagonss

Drives: 2011 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSS View Post
do you have the part number for the plug that fits the Gm plug???
It is AC Delco # PT146 or GM # 12085535.
I paid about $27.00 with tax.
1971 C10 (restoring, including LT1 from Caprice)
bkwagonss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #120
ThunderSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
It is AC Delco # PT146 or GM # 12085535.
I paid about $27.00 with tax.
Thanks..

2010 Camaro SS/RS HKE Forged 416 CID
http://www.fquick.com/ThunderZ28
510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
ThunderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #121
Chevybum2488
2010 2LT/RS SW/CGstripe

Drives: 98 Monte Carlo Z34
Just finished mine tonight. Where I mentioned earlier that I had swapped the light in the doors to the top, looked good but with the dash done, the doors were too bright at the top so I had to switch them back to make them match. As for the sanding, you do have to sand just a little past the edge to give just the right amount of light. I also sanded just a little too much on the drivers side, but ended up useing med. gray pinstriping on the backside to bring the level back up. looks good. but very sensitive to too much and too little. My advise is to play with the drivers side then go to the passengers. Also don't forget to extend the door panels to the dash. this hole setup is pretty easy if you have a little patients.( on the instructions) and not bad priced at all. Also as for the dash connectors I got a connection from a seatbelt connector off a gm vehicle (wrecked). they use this connector in multiple areas.
Chevybum2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #122
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Has anyone found the connector anywhere else but GM? Im sure you can get something close and modify it to fit at a lot less the $25. Just wondering if you bougfht something else, where did you get it and whats the part number?
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #123
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
One more question.......if you are using 10 ft of el wire, why did you only get the 0-4 ft inverter?
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #124
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSS View Post
camarorick,
When sanding the trim ,
did you sand down to the ridge, or did you sand down an 1/8" 3/16" further past the ridge?
It's hard to tell in you pics..
I sanded mine down to the ridge, and it looks like if I went down another 1/8th inch (max) I would get more light showing at eye level... I just don't wont to go to far and screw it up..
Thanks for any help.
also do you have the part number for the plug that fits the Gm plug???

I am doing mine with the Inferno Orange( cause well that's my interior color lol) I test fitted the Driver side piece.. I had a 120v to 12v converter, and stuck the EL wire behind the trim piece, and it wasn't to bad it matches up with the door color perfectly.. .. like I said I think if I went down a bit further it would show up better..
Daniel
Go that extra 3/16" past the ridge.... It really needs to be done for the light to come through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Has anyone found the connector anywhere else but GM? Im sure you can get something close and modify it to fit at a lot less the $25. Just wondering if you bougfht something else, where did you get it and whats the part number?
I found some connectors at a local electronic store. I used my dremel to reshape the plug that I bought, and it works perfectly. Just make sure the holes in your purchased plug are spaced properly.

Quote:
One more question.......if you are using 10 ft of el wire, why did you only get the 0-4 ft inverter?
I'm actually only using 4 feet.... The reason I put 10 feet was for spare ( at $0.99 ft, it pays to have extra )
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #125
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
The female plug that came with the EL wire kit fits perfectly in the GM connector in my car.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #126
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
See my post about installing LED lights.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=42184&page=7

Molex 208

Cost me $3.08
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote