Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #169
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
sand casted something...sorry dont feel like researching brembos
No worries. Another question, did you change out your brake fluid? If so did you do it your self or have GM do it? From what I understand they have to pulse the ABS system to properly bleed the system.

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #170
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
So I totally forgot about getting a group buy together. Anyone interested? I will talk to RB today via phone and see if we can get a deal. Also maybe Apex wants to facilitate a group buy and see if they can do better than I can price wise.
I mentioned doing a group buy to them last week but when they came back with all the info they didn't bring it back up. If RacingBrake will approve it we will gladly administer it. Doing that sort of thing unilaterally is a no-no though.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #171
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
No worries. Another question, did you change out your brake fluid? If so did you do it your self or have GM do it? From what I understand they have to pulse the ABS system to properly bleed the system.
Yes change fluid! dot 4 and bleed after every track day. You wont get all the old fluid without a techII machine which can pulse the abs system as you said. Dealers are the ones that have those. Even with dot 4 you want to change it after a handful of track days to be safe...dont ask I figured out hard way. I recommend motul or amsoil. unless you can afford the castrol srf stuff.

You can bleed the system once all the old fluid is out by yourself with a vacuum bleeder or the old way pump pump pump bleed and after vacuum tester on the resevoir.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #172
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Yes change fluid! dot 4 and bleed after every track day. You wont get all the old fluid without a techII machine which can pulse the abs system as you said. Dealers are the ones that have those. Even with dot 4 you want to change it after a handful of track days to be safe...dont ask I figured out hard way. I recommend motul or amsoil. unless you can afford the castrol srf stuff.
I have 3 bottles of the Motul 600 sitting in my work bench but I haven't had a chance to take it in. If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you to swap it out and how much did they use?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #173
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Yes change fluid! dot 4 and bleed after every track day. You wont get all the old fluid without a techII machine which can pulse the abs system as you said. Dealers are the ones that have those. Even with dot 4 you want to change it after a handful of track days to be safe...dont ask I figured out hard way. I recommend motul or amsoil. unless you can afford the Castrol SRF stuff.

You can bleed the system once all the old fluid is out by yourself with a vacuum bleeder or the old way pump pump pump bleed and after vacuum tester on the reservoir.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #174
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Unless of course you like the exciting feeling of your brake pedal hitting the floor as you dive deep into a hard corner after a 150+ mph straight. I kinda like it!

jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #175
ss/rs-matt

Haha...I've been there. Is no bueno. lol.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #176
Apex Motorsports

I just had a phone call from a Camaro5 member that had a question that is worth answering here. The new RacingBrake calipers do not use the same pads that the stock Brembo calipers use.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #177
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywes View Post
Unless of course you like the exciting feeling of your brake pedal hitting the floor as you dive deep into a hard corner after a 150+ mph straight. I kinda like it!

Testing a stock Pontiac G8 at Gingerman I found I had no brakes headed in to turn #11

Knowing a track well can be really important when you have no brakes because you have almost no time to think as you react. Coming off the back straight there is a wall dead ahead. You are supposed to brake and turn right. Brake. Good Pedal. Nothing happens. Pump the brake pedal. Nothing happens. Running a 100 and change with no brakes and a wall straight ahead... no worries the entrance to the pits in on the left and almost a straight shot

It wasn't the fluid. The OE brake pads had 'cratered'. The outer edges of the pad were in place, but the inner portion of the pads had fallen out. I only ran three test laps at moderate speed, pulled into the pits and double checked everything. It all looked good. 45 minutes later I went back out. It was at the end of the third lap the brake pad problem made the day interesting.

FYI: The Camaro brake pads, the ones that squeal during low speed braking, don't do that
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #178
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Testing a stock Pontiac G8 at Gingerman I found I had no brakes headed in to turn #11

Knowing a track well can be really important when you have no brakes because you have almost no time to think as you react. Coming off the back straight there is a wall dead ahead. You are supposed to brake and turn right. Brake. Good Pedal. Nothing happens. Pump the brake pedal. Nothing happens. Running a 100 and change with no brakes and a wall straight ahead... no worries the entrance to the pits in on the left and almost a straight shot

It wasn't the fluid. The OE brake pads had 'cratered'. The outer edges of the pad were in place, but the inner portion of the pads had fallen out. I only ran three test laps at moderate speed, pulled into the pits and double checked everything. It all looked good. 45 minutes later I went back out. It was at the end of the third lap the brake pad problem made the day interesting.

FYI: The Camaro brake pads, the ones that squeal during low speed braking, don't do that
Good to know Pete. I was at spring mountain recently and in the back straight doing about 125 I hit the brakes to make the 90 at the end and got nothing. I pumped and and got some pedal back, enough to make the turn. That was it for me. Not a good feeling. I'm still running dot3 fluid so that was probably the culprit as this was about the 20th lap.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #179
SPCBA

Quote:
I have 3 bottles of the Motul 600 sitting in my work bench but I haven't had a chance to take it in. If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you to swap it out and how much did they use?
I had it done for free with my first fluid change...i brought my fluid and my dealership just did it for me.
Havent been back for a tech 2 bleed since then. sorry i am no help...it shouldnt be much since you have the fluid already.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #180
SPCBA

Quote:
Good to know Pete. I was at spring mountain recently and in the back straight doing about 125 I hit the brakes to make the 90 at the end and got nothing. I pumped and and got some pedal back, enough to make the turn. That was it for me. Not a good feeling. I'm still running dot3 fluid so that was probably the culprit as this was about the 20th lap.
fluid lines and a real track pad should elimante total brake fade. it might get a lil less awesome with to much heat but it shouldnt be nothing.

I have had the ohh crap brake went to floor pull ebrake and downshift as fast as i can to avoid a wall...wasnt fun at all and started my crusade to unstreet my brakes. my culprit was a street pad disentegrating...but i kind of went overboard and redid everything so my family could get rides.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #181
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
What would be the advantage of this RB kit versus the CTS-V 6 piston setup running ZL1 2 piece rotors? Other than weight. Looks like both are comparably priced. Brakes are my next upgrade.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #182
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
What would be the advantage of this RB kit versus the CTS-V 6 piston setup running ZL1 2 piece rotors? Other than weight. Looks like both are comparably priced. Brakes are my next upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Check out the product info at the link. Besides the weight and clearance there are several features that will be very attractive for those that see a lot of track time.