Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Jatterbu

Drives: GRAND-AM GS.R Camaro's
GRAND-AM Camaro GS.R Build Thread

As some of you may know, the Mitchum Motorsports #62 car was involved in a roll-over accident while qualifying at Watkins Glen a few short weeks ago. The team did an absolutely amazing job in rebuilding almost the entire car to get it ready to race the next day. They replaced the entire rear subframe with all arms, both front corners, steering rack, seat belts, port-o-power'd the roof and C-pillar back out and countless other hours of repair on the car. We were running in the 11th position with 25 minutes left when the front sway bar broke on the car and had to pit for repairs.

With that being said, the #62 chassis that was rolled over will live again to race another day, but needs lots of time in the body shop because of where the damage took place. The frame is still completely straight!! Shows how strong these cars really are. With the limited time the team had from the wreck until the race at Indy they have been building a brand new tub from the spare that was in the shop. This process started Wednesday of last week and I will continue to update with pictures of the build process.

Just after the roll-over:

Chassis being stripped:

Interior being stripped and wiring being removed:

Sitting as a completely bare chassis:

Brand new chassis beginning the build process:

Beginning to Gold Foil the Engine Bay:

Accessories Connected and Hard Lines installed:

Completing the Gold Foil:

New Interior wiring beginning:

Rear Subframe Installed:

Right Rear Corner:

Wiring Harness, ECU, ABS and Camera systems installed:

Steering Rack and pedal assembly installed:

I will update this thread as more goes into the car. We should be putting the front subframe with engine/trans and front corners in the car later today. Let me know how you guys like this brand new chassis! Feel free to ask any questions.

Joey
Jatterbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Very... Very cool thread!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Jatterbu

One more quick update before we leave the shop for the day. This was all done in the last hour here on Monday afternoon.

Front Subframe with Clutch and corners:

Front Subframe with Trans bolted ready to go in chassis:

Front Subframe w/Engine & Trans installed:

Engine Bay bolted up, still have all accessories and wiring harness to complete:

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Joey
Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
ShnOmac

Is that a stock Camaro chassis? Sure looks like it...

Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Jatterbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Is that a stock Camaro chassis? Sure looks like it...
Yes they are a stock Camaro chassis. These cars compete in GRAND-AM's CTSCC class as GS cars. The Camaro's that race in Rolex such as Autohaus and Stevenson are Pratt & Miller tube frame cars with artificial Camaro bodies manufactured to fit on the chassis. Stevenson also runs a car in the GS class as well as CKS.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatterbu View Post
Yes they are a stock Camaro chassis. These cars compete in GRAND-AM's CTSCC class as GS cars. The Camaro's that race in Rolex such as Autohaus and Stevenson are Pratt & Miller tube frame cars with artificial Camaro bodies manufactured to fit on the chassis. Stevenson also runs a car in the GS class as well as CKS.
That is very cool. I had no idea that ya'll used stock chassis!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
SparkyDL75
SparkyDL75

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/Grey
That is awesome to see some behind the scenes pics. I love watching the Grand Am series races. Best of luck to you guys at Indy next weekend! If the C5Fest wasn't the following weekend, I would come up for your race on the 28th.
Suspension Pedders Pace Car Pkg w/ZL1 Upgrade; Pedders Upper & Lower Control Arm, Steering, & Differential Mount Bushings; Pedders SS Brake Lines; Pedders Dual Bearing Camber Plates; ZL1 Toe Link; Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads
Drivetrain Maggie2300(8psi-3.4pulley); CompCam; 85lb injectors; ZL1 fuel pump; ZR1 MAP; Centerforce DYAD Twin Disc clutch; Stainless Works LT headers; QTP Cutouts; Rotofab intake; RX catch can; Mike Norris tune 643rwhp 598 rwtq

SparkyDL75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Very cool thread guys. We really appreciate the inside scoop stuff you're showing us. With the gold foil heat shielding on the car, the build is a bit (dare I say) NASA like.

I was lucky to be with the Upstate guys at WGI a couple of weekends ago and thouroughly enjoyed the Mitchum Motorsports tour you gave us.

Good luck at Indy!:party0038:
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcard View Post

Good luck at Indy!:party0038:
Great pic's!

I am seriously loving this thread.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatterbu View Post

With that being said, the #62 chassis that was rolled over will live again to race another day, but needs lots of time in the body shop because of where the damage took place. The frame is still completely straight!! Shows how strong these cars really are.

Joey

Can you say marketing? Hellllllllllo GM....... I have a Idea for ya.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Look closely at the rear swaybar, front endlinks, suspension struts and shocks and also the use the best setup for a strut brace one that is linked to the firewall. Even their cradle bushings look different.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Cool thread Joey. It was nice to meet you at the track. Glad to see Angelina will be new once again. Did you guys test her at Indy? I'll be down there this weekend and hopefully visit the shop on Monday. Tell Trevor I'll give him a call.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Jatterbu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Cool thread Joey. It was nice to meet you at the track. Glad to see Angelina will be new once again. Did you guys test her at Indy? I'll be down there this weekend and hopefully visit the shop on Monday. Tell Trevor I'll give him a call.

The Mitchum Motorsports team did test both the #6 and the #62 cars at Indy and both ran great. Sorry to disappoint you guys but I was picked up by Roush in between the Watkins Glen race and the Indy test so I'll be the Roush/Starstruck Entertainment BOSS 302R for the rest of the season. Don't worry too much though, I still work here at the Mitchum shop and will be bringing you guys all the updates and news with these Camaro's.

Also look forward to the next few months as here at Mitchum we are expanding and will be offering street car work, parts and even some custom made race parts for your street and track day cars!

Joey
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Thanks for the photos, I like racing series that work with factory issued products. I don't recognize the brand of coilover being used. Can you tell us who makes the coilover for the Mitchum Camaro. How much does the car weight?
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote