Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I have the cooler logic HX and it was an easy bolt on. You have to remove the nose of the car but it isn't that difficult. Watch a youtube video and you will see all of the bolt locations. KDI also makes a nice one. Don't use the stock "constant tension" clamps as you will have a slow drip from the two connections.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve View Post
definately a must, i swapped to a 2.55 upper with a rotofab cai and tried to get away with a no tune setup. however its never that easy, the stock injectors were at 113% duty cycle. pretty much a ticking time bomb if you ask me, upgraded the injectors and put a tune to it and made 600/622 with just pulley and cai. thats 705/731 at the crank. pretty much how this thing should have left the factory. however i find now that 1st-4th gear are useless on stock tires.
I'm glad someone else logs injector duty cycle instead of taking someone's word for it. When I dyno'd mine bone stock, the duty cycle was at 90% for most of the run and higher at the very end (6200 rpm). Yet, I'm amazed at the "no tune" bolt ons some vendor here profess as being safe. I pressed one vendor for actual duty numbers and he never gave me a straight answer which leads me to believe no one else is logging inj duty cycle or simply not telling anyone so they don't lose sales. Regardless, everyone should log duty cycle even for bolt-ons. The fact is increased intake airflow leads to increased fuel requirements and one should add mods to support (injectors) hp increasing mods as well.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errnie-ZL1 View Post
i found that one did you install your self? i could make one but not into it lol i have a machine shop easier to purchase lol.
Installed it myself. I'm a heavy duty mechanic so have about every tool known to man. These guys are making them by the hundreds, I'm sure it's cheaper just to buy 1 than spend all day fabing one from scratch,unless you're going to build something special.
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I just put a 3" pulley on my Edelbrock and I went with Edelbrock 60lb injectors. Edelbrock told me they were good up to 850HP. I went with the ZL1 pump also.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
ex-SS-ve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
I'm glad someone else logs injector duty cycle instead of taking someone's word for it. When I dyno'd mine bone stock, the duty cycle was at 90% for most of the run and higher at the very end (6200 rpm). Yet, I'm amazed at the "no tune" bolt ons some vendor here profess as being safe. I pressed one vendor for actual duty numbers and he never gave me a straight answer which leads me to believe no one else is logging inj duty cycle or simply not telling anyone so they don't lose sales. Regardless, everyone should log duty cycle even for bolt-ons. The fact is increased intake airflow leads to increased fuel requirements and one should add mods to support (injectors) hp increasing mods as well.
Hate to say it but i dont see the no tune cars lasting very long. Theres only one way to mod a 60k$ car and its not the cheap way, gotta pay to play and sometimes that costs you a warranty. In racing the only gaurantee is there is no gaurantee!!
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Errnie-ZL1
2013 ZL1 blk on blk

Drives: Time to order mods well she sleeps!
Cooler logic is the HX to get read on it and seems the best no need for the fans I would say.

www.cttoolandmachine.ca
Errnie-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
Rick@MidwayPerformance

Drives: 2010 & 2012 Camaro SS
We have done several with the pulley combo your talking about, all have needed injectors, we use I.D.850's and an AFCO Racing heat exchanger. It's 350% larger, duel pass design and it has dual 10" fans to pull cool air thru.
PM me if you need pricing.
Rick@MidwayPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #22
Rick@MidwayPerformance

Drives: 2010 & 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
If you are only doing pulleys, probably be ok with 63lb injectors. You will however need to upgrade your heat exchanger if you are adding that much boost (lower and upper).
Wrong, the stock injectors are already over 90% with just an aggressive tune on a stock car.

Quote:
So like I said my car only has 200kms on it. I ordered upper lower pulley,Roto-fab CAI,
Coolant res, Injector dynamics 850cc , you say I need a heat exchanger????
Just residing on stainlessworks headers and exhaust or hooks with borla attack exhaust mmmmmmm. What you guys think? So a elite or rx catch can?
I would go with a 160 t-stat, Kook's l/t's, Borla is good, ID850 injectors and an upgraded heat exchanger as well. Make sure you have a good tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
Right now I have 15.2 pounds of boostvand without a heat exchanger im running 35degrees over ambient. .I will be doing a coolent tank, not a 750 $ and up heat exchanger. . My caddy had the same pulkey and could deff use one.. I think the zls is a lot better.
The heat exchanger will drop your IAT's to 5 degrees warmer than ambient on a 70 degree day at idle, and the highest we saw after 3 back to back dyno pulls was 86 degrees IAT. Thats at 14.7 lbs of boost. Thats a huge difference to what you are seeing. To me that says the heat exchanger is a cheap upgrade.

Quote:
I looked for a HX where is the best place to purchase one?
PM me, I sell the AFCO racing units.

Quote:
i found that one did you install your self? i could make one but not into it lol i have a machine shop easier to purchase lol.
Install on the AFCO unit is simple and comes with detailed instructions with pics. It is time consuming but not hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
I just put a 3" pulley on my Edelbrock and I went with Edelbrock 60lb injectors. Edelbrock told me they were good up to 850HP. I went with the ZL1 pump also.
Good choice on the pump, they lied to you on the injectors, theres enough threads about blown up E-Force cars, We did one and ran out of injector at just over 700, we installed the ID850's and tuned it to 804 rwhp safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve View Post
Hate to say it but i dont see the no tune cars lasting very long. Theres only one way to mod a 60k$ car and its not the cheap way, gotta pay to play and sometimes that costs you a warranty. In racing the only gaurantee is there is no gaurantee!!
This statement is so true. If you spent this much on the car already, why would you want to take a chance by being cheap on the upgrades. Do it right or leave it stock.
Rick@MidwayPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
if you guys think that if your car blows up but you put the stock pulley back on it and everything will be ok and gm will warrenty it, i am thinking you got another thing coming..ANY tech will know if that balancer has been off..
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
So if you plan on doing upgrade mods piece by piece, not all at once, then the ID850 injectors should go in first and then start adding goodies?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #25
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
So if you plan on doing upgrade mods piece by piece, not all at once, then the ID850 injectors should go in first and then start adding goodies?
It sounds like anything past a no tune CAI like overdrive pulleys that the injectors should be added at the same time to be safe. I had no idea they were at a 90% duty cycle. I wouldn't add them first, since it would require another tune.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
No.. you dont HAVE to instal a heat exchanger.. a 2.55 is just not even that much boost.

Last edited by The Baron; 12-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
Errnie-ZL1
2013 ZL1 blk on blk

Drives: Time to order mods well she sleeps!
Well this is why I posted this most guys change the pulleys and miss the injector upgrades. Just trying to help guys

www.cttoolandmachine.ca
Errnie-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote