Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #4901
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
When my pump went the metal was from the lifter. It did not just fall apart so the motor still ran fine, at first, lol. If you use the camera you bought you will be able to inspect the lifter and cam lobes that are questioned in the pics by inserting it in the cast openings you asked about, that is norm.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #4902
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
When my pump went the metal was from the lifter. It did not just fall apart so the motor still ran fine, at first, lol. If you use the camera you bought you will be able to inspect the lifter and cam lobes that are questioned in the pics by inserting it in the cast openings you asked about, that is norm.
Ok. I did inspect as much as I could and it all looked fine as far as I could see. That little tool could be better.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #4903
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Now I've found where the real discussion is taking place...too many threads

I posted in one of the others that I have a theory. I think you might find one component of the LS3 conversion failed. It really matters not at this point because you gotta go bearings throughout at least.
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #4904
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Have you considered short block replacement?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #4905
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Now I've found where the real discussion is taking place...too many threads

I posted in one of the others that I have a theory. I think you might find one component of the LS3 conversion failed. It really matters not at this point because you gotta go bearings throughout at least.
Which component? I could swear a few bits that I got out of the pan via magnet was cast material like from the engine block. Really small though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Have you considered short block replacement?
Yes. I'd like to get a forged set up for more boost but not sure I need it. If I could get a stock LS3 short block at a good price I sure would.

It would be a lot faster. LOT faster.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #4906
PQ
Booooosted.

I just don't have enough time in the evenings. And the weekends are not much better. This weekend I bowl a tournament out of town. Ugh...........
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #4907
Mr Twisty

If you see yourself still owning this car in four years, go forged, if you see yourself in a 6th gen, go stock.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #4908
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
The engine block is aluminum. Small cast iron parts could be piston ring fragments, lifter bits and pieces, cam material, crankshaft material, oil pump material, etc. Not the block or heads, though.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #4909
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
The engine block is aluminum. Small cast iron parts could be piston ring fragments, lifter bits and pieces, cam material, crankshaft material, oil pump material, etc. Not the block or heads, though.
That's why I like oil analysis, may not tell you why, but definitely tells you what is deteriorating. Great diagnostic tool.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #4910
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Well, you have it torn down this far. Take out the cam and look at the bearing mate sections.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #4911
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
That's why I like oil analysis, may not tell you why, but definitely tells you what is deteriorating. Great diagnostic tool.
+1. I use it all the time for automatic transmission failure analysis. It's a required tool.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #4912
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
If you see yourself still owning this car in four years, go forged, if you see yourself in a 6th gen, go stock.

I see myself in this one. Rather than a car note I'd prefer to keep this one up with that money. But I can't be sure. Depends on the 6th Gen. If it's the rumored one that is floating around I'll def. be keeping this one.

Quote:
Hmmmm, maybe I said cast meaning something else. It looks like the part of the block that it broken out in the oil valley. I'll get good pics as I can this evening.

Quote:
Well we don't have a place here. I'll have to find one to send mine to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Well, you have it torn down this far. Take out the cam and look at the bearing mate sections.
SHOULD get there tonight. Though I would last night but keep running in to problems and little time. Up early and off to the office then get off at 7:30 to 8:00 and usually don't get home and out to the garage by 9 or 10 with errands and the kids stuff.

Quote:
+1. I use it all the time for automatic transmission failure analysis. It's a required tool.
Only oil I have that is in mixed with other is from the filter. And not much of it. Like an ounce.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #4913
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
If it's the rumored one that is floating around I'll def. be keeping this one.
Does the rumor have a thread or a picture?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #4914
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Does the rumor have a thread or a picture?
Yup. Let me get it.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle