Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
PlaymakerLamp18

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
PLEASE HELP! RS Headlights!

HELP PLEASE!

When it comes to vehicles, I am about as lost as one can possibly be! I just recently purchased a 2014 1LS Camaro, about as standard as it can get. Got it as a second car to put most of the miles on. I am looking to switch the headlights to the RS package. I am going to buy the parts online, and get a local customs shop to install them. Can anybody tell me EVERYTHING I need to purchase in order to make this happen? I'm hearing about harnesses and all kinds of other things.

I'm also hearing mixed reviews about aftermarket lights, and getting the actual GM lights. I am open to all help and opinions if you guys don't mind! Also where to find GM headlights?

I currently have the the standard halogen lights, no fog lights installed at the moment, going to wait on those. I would like the "angel eye" ring to be my daytime running light but I heard that this will cause the lamps to burn out fairly quickly, and I have no clue how to replace those either when the time comes.

Thanks so much for your help!
PlaymakerLamp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
GOMD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Sierra
Gen5diy.com

You will need the RS Headlights

http://www.gen5diy.com/exterior/RS_h...eadlights-NEW/

And the harness

http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses...-Harness-2014/

That is it really. Remove the bumper, install headlights, connect harness and put it back together.

I would not go aftermarket on the headlights but that is only my opinion.

With the factory RS setup you get an led halo for daytime running lights and hid projectors come on with the halo at dark.

If you are going to add fog lights you need get the harness with the fogs

http://www.gen5diy.com/PnP_harnesses...glamp-Harness/

And the fog lamps themselves

http://www.gen5diy.com/Lighting/Fogl...Sock-Foglamps/
GOMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
What this guy just said ^^^^^ I got my RS headlights from there. Ofer has the cheapest in comparison to what the dealer charges.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaymakerLamp18 View Post
HELP PLEASE!

When it comes to vehicles, I am about as lost as one can possibly be! I just recently purchased a 2014 1LS Camaro, about as standard as it can get. Got it as a second car to put most of the miles on. I am looking to switch the headlights to the RS package. I am going to buy the parts online, and get a local customs shop to install them. Can anybody tell me EVERYTHING I need to purchase in order to make this happen? I'm hearing about harnesses and all kinds of other things.

I'm also hearing mixed reviews about aftermarket lights, and getting the actual GM lights. I am open to all help and opinions if you guys don't mind! Also where to find GM headlights?

I currently have the the standard halogen lights, no fog lights installed at the moment, going to wait on those. I would like the "angel eye" ring to be my daytime running light but I heard that this will cause the lamps to burn out fairly quickly, and I have no clue how to replace those either when the time comes.

Thanks so much for your help!
I'd say you want GM lights. The entire front fascia has to be removed to install the lights, so you don't want some cheap, off-shore, aftermarket lights that are going to fail. It will be a major hassle to swap them out, if they fail, so you want to use the very best parts.
The GM RS lights are NOT plug-n-play. You will have to use an adapter harness. Your best bet is to get one from Ofer at http://www.gen5diy.com/. His stuff is first rate and his customer service is second to none.
You can buy the lights anywhere that sells GM parts. All GM dealers sell GM parts. There's tons of GM parts websites. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ and http://www.cultragfactoryparts.com/ are a couple of the more popular ones. You can also find GM parts on e-bay and Amazon.com also. Be careful with used ones, they could be damaged. One way to search, is to get the GM part numbers for the lights and then google the numbers.
Be aware that if you buy new GM lights, a harness from Ofer and pay for labor, you will spend as much or more than the entire RS package would have cost. But if you try to cut corners, you could end up spending even more.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
LTRS777

Drives: 2014 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
The guys at gen5diy are very friendly and helpful! They got everything you need!
'14 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
ADM LSA Stage 1 Kit, ADM 2.75 Pulley, DEKA 63lb injectors,
ZL1 Fuel Pump, JLT 123MM Big Mouth intake, TSP 2" LTHs,
BW TB, 2.5" Catback, Scott Culbert/GEN3PERF tuned!
573WHP/557WTQ @ 10psi.
Build Thread Here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390708

LTRS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRS777 View Post
The guys at gen5diy are very friendly and helpful! They got everything you need!
USE OMM GM ,or you will wish you did . IMHO ,it is not worth the cost to upgrade from the ones you have now .
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
USE OMM GM ,or you will wish you did . IMHO ,it is not worth the cost to upgrade from the ones you have now .
Why not?? I upgraded my 1SS to the RS Headlights. Bought them over 2 1/2 years ago Gen5diy. One of the best mods I did to my car and worth every penny!! They still work with no issues! The wiring harness has a short in it and they offered to repair or replace for free. Just haven't gotten around to sending it back. The halo's in my opinion is one of the 5th Gens best feature.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
RS headlights and a harness from Gen5diy
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, conversion, headlights