Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #10459
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryman77 View Post
see, I leave you guys alone for a few days & all this happens...lol...looking forward to heading to NC tomorrow for Camaros for Hero II...wonder when JD is coming down
leaving in about 30 minutes!!
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #10460
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
I could use a clutch pretty bad at this point. What do you recomend?
Got the McLeod RXT and liking it so far.
2L82RUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #10461
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryman77 View Post
see, I leave you guys alone for a few days & all this happens...lol...looking forward to heading to NC tomorrow for Camaros for Hero II...wonder when JD is coming down

LOL! I've been neglecting everyone too. maybe I need to stick around and whip these men into shape.

This house hunting thing is no joke! LOVED the first house I had an offer on, but inspection went rather rough. Some mold (I'm very very allergic) and structural issues I didn't wanna take on. So I pulled that offer... found a house i like BETTER and now am working on that one. While studying for my board certification for surgery and trying to have a life.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Jason-- the IROC looks like it's coming together.

I miss seeing everyone. I'm hoping to come to c5 fest, at least for Saturday, but I may be closing July 26 and so I don't know what's going to happen from there.

You guys behave!
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #10462
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Off with the old

On with the new. Shorties only. I guess LTs don't really fit.

Going to replace the fenders. Driver side has a dent and some rust. Passenger side bottom is crushed in from a jack mishap.

Doors, hood and hatch will come of when I get some help. I've been a one man wrecking crew!

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #10463
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachykells View Post
You guys behave!
Just make some of that bagel dip. That will keep us busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Passenger side bottom is crushed in from a jack mishap.
Better the fender than you.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #10464
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Doors, hood and hatch will come of when I get some help.
I know where you live. I'm busy this Saturday, but I think the next few are free.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #10465
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

The jack mishap scared the bajezus out of me. Thankfully I was not under it when it crushed in. Had the car up too high without frame support. Let's just say a 5th gen is MUCH stronger than a 3rd!

I'm going over tonight so hopefully my cousin can help! Thanks tho.

Bring the firebird over when I'm done, we can start on it!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #10466
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
Quote:
Doors, hood and hatch will come of when I get some help. I've been a one man wrecking crew!
Before removing the doors, you might drill some small holes through the hinges to help with alignment when you install them again.

I have an EZ Rest Door Hanger tool you can borrow if it would help.
Name:  EZRestDoorHanger.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  6.5 KB
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #10467
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Whoa! That thing is awesome. I'm against removing the doors but my cousin (painter) wants to, to fix the hinge and paint the jambs. He says it's not that hard but...

His reasoning to me is they came off, they have to go back on. I guess I buy that, as long as we don't remove the hinge from the door, it should be fairly easy.

Fenders came right off and there were no shims. The new ones are the pricier "certified" ones so hopefully the bolt right up. They are supposed to. We shall see. I get them tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #10468
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
Quote:
Whoa! That thing is awesome. I'm against removing the doors but my cousin (painter) wants to, to fix the hinge and paint the jambs. He says it's not that hard but...

His reasoning to me is they came off, they have to go back on. I guess I buy that, as long as we don't remove the hinge from the door, it should be fairly easy.

Fenders came right off and there were no shims. The new ones are the pricier "certified" ones so hopefully the bolt right up. They are supposed to. We shall see. I get them tomorrow.
Fenders are relatively easy.

If your doors close good now, I would seriously consider not removing them.

Door alignment can be a bitch if you don't drill 1/8" pilot holes through the hinge into the body, scribe around the hinges or do something to be sure the hinges go on in the exact same spot. If a door is out of adjustment anyway, then this may not help as much. I was able to use the EZ Rest Door Hanger tool to remove and install my doors myself. I wish I had drilled holes because it took me a lot of unbolting/bolting to get the door alignment just right.

Below are my notes on 2nd gen door alignment which I put together from other NastyZ28 posters.

Quote:
Never loosen all bolts on any one hinge
Loosen hinge bolts to body & adjust striker temporarily to adjust top/bottom alignment at rear of door (crease on door to crease along rear quarter)
Loosen hinge bolts to body & adjust top/bottom of door to rocker panel (about 1/4" gap)
Loosen hinge bolts to body & adjust front/back alignment (3/16" gap to rear quarter)
Tighten hinge bolts to body
Mark striker height then loosen & adjust striker in/out at rear of door to quarter panel
Loosen hinge bolts to door & adjust in/out at front of door to rocker panel & fender

If the doors are off the car, bolt the hinges to the door and the cowl in the middle of the movement allowed.
Let's face it, it shouldn't be too far off the center of the holes.
If the doors are on or if after putting them on things are way out of whack, raise the door up on the hinges as far as it will go while still staying about the right height.
You always want to start high, it is much easier to come down than go up.
Besides this is the only time you will loosen all the bolts on the door.
I don't mean all the bolts, leave the hinge to cowl tight. Only loosen the door to hinge bolts.
Unless it is way down then you may need to move the hinges up too. But do one at a time, both door to hinge or both hinge to cowl.
While moving the hinges aligning the door never loosen all the bolts on the hinge.
Loosen all but one, just till it is still a little looser than snug. Leave that last one just a little snug.
Let's say the door fits well but is a little too far forward. Never loosen top and bottom hinges and move it forward.
Loosen the top hinge to cowl as described above and lift the rear of the door a little. This will push the upper hinge forward.
Now tighten that one bolt that was left snug. Do the same on the lower hinge, pushing down, but remember the weight of the door is helping, so little push is needed.
If the door fits well but is out at the top or the bottom, again, loosen one hinge to door in the manner described and push it out or in.
If is is out or in at the top rear for instance, move the bottom front in the opposite direction.
This will pivot the door on the striker, and move the rear top where you want. Moving the bottom rear takes moving the top front of course.
You may need to twist the door. If the front fits well and rear is out at the top, you can put a block of wood at the rear of the door at the top lets say and push in on the bottom to twish the door.
Some will take a lot of force to bend, and be very careful not to let your finders hang around the outside of the door edge.
Tip: If you are hanging the door and you have access to the hinges (either through the wheel well with the skirt off or if the fender itself is off) you can simply hold the door up to the opening and push the latch shut.
Then put the bolts in the hinge. I can ofter install doors all by myself in this way.
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #10469
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Thanks! I will do the alignment holes! The doors shut perfect now, other than the one hinge that needs fixed, they are great. Just sags when you open it from the roller being worn out.

Thanks so much for the advise. I'll probably drill the holes today.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #10470
GC-Camaro

Drives: 2014 Impala
Thanks Doug and Jason for showing everyone how this forum is really meant to be used. Sharing ideas and experiences with others.

GC-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #10471
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC-Camaro View Post
Thanks Doug and Jason for showing everyone how this forum is really meant to be used. Sharing ideas and experiences with others.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #10472
rachykells
Gearhead rocker chick

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Just make some of that bagel dip. That will keep us busy.

Better the fender than you.

Bagel dip. I need to find a reason to make some.

Jason-- really glad to hear you weren't under the car when the mishap occurred. Keep us posted on the project for sure.
Trifecta Tuned / VMAX ported TB / OBX LT headers / MRT v2.0 / Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe / Roto-Fab CAI / RX catch can / AAC Footwell Lights / Blacked-out Bowties / Smoked tails, side markers, reverse lights / 20% tint
rachykells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boringeversincehausleft, doesanyoneactuallyreadthislol, drew10stealsbolts, funny tags are funny, hrpii is pregnant, iroc204hp, irocababy, irocabigsticktobeatyouall, irocansshole, irocarubmark, irocasuspension, irocfluffyslippers, irocgrocerygetter, irocinsomnia, irocsshole, the jeopardy song, trackdaymidohio, whogetsridoftheircamaro4ajeep, whydotheyhatechubby?