Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26 View Post
By LSD i assume you mean diff ? This sound/feeling is coming from the front end
I thought it was too till I had someone stand outside the car and listened. Anyway, how are the tires making the noise? I havent heard it once since I changed the dif fluid. Since we all have the exact same car this should be common and repeatable.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I get a pop when backing out in reverse as I enter the street from our driveway. Its the only time it happens. Feels like something in the front end. Curious how it could be tires, but not saying its not.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Elvira1le
Mistress of the dark

Drives: Black 2014 RS 2SS 1LE
If you have this problem and it is repeatable, has anyone taken it to a dealer?
Elvira1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I get a pop when backing out in reverse as I enter the street from our driveway. Its the only time it happens. Feels like something in the front end. Curious how it could be tires, but not saying its not.
Yeah I'm not saying it's not or can't be tires either. I would really like to hear someone explain how tires are making a mechanical popping sound. Anyone?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #19
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
100% Tires....... I drove mine all winter here in Virginia. Tires don't like backward turns lol guess that's why they are directional JK
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #20
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
100% Tires....... I drove mine all winter here in Virginia. Tires don't like backward turns lol guess that's why they are directional JK
Soooo...thats the technical explanation?

Seriously like 5 people said tires. Can any of you explain how tires turning backwards make a loud mechanical pop sound? I genuinely want to know.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #21
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
As I turn my steering wheel with hood opened I noticed the strut retainer leaned in one direction and then another (tilting) and heard some noise from suspension when new ...
From BMR Guy in another thread:
"I don't want to depress you guys but this noise is a by-product of the upper strut mount design and is not fixable by simply changing a strut or strut mount.

Unlike most strut vehicles with bolt-in upper strut mounts, the Zeta platform uses a floating upper mount. The mount literally just sits in place using the weight of the car to hold it there. Those funny looking formed washers in the engine bay that stick up 1/2" above the strut towers are the strut retainers. If they were not there, the struts would literally fall out if you jacked the car up.

What happens when you go over bumps, washboards, potholes, etc. is that the strut rebound valving does not allow the strut to extend quickly enough to compensate so the entire strut assembly falls down out of the strut tower slightly. This creates the noise everyone is hearing. It is not dangerous by any means but it is definitely annoying.

Ultimately the design itself needs to be changed or the problem will continue. This would have to include changing the design of the strut tower itself as well as the strut mount. I doubt GM will do any more major re-designs with the Zeta platform but hopefully this issue will be resolved with the upcoming Alpha platformed Camaros.

Keep in mind this is a completely different issue from the earlier upper spring isolator service bulletins. The issue being discussed generally only happens while driving over speed bumps, transitions, rough pavement, etc."

AND ALSO TSB in same thread:
"Some customers may comment about suspension noise coming from the front of the vehicle when driving at low/moderate speeds (16-40 km/h [10-25 mph]) over rough roadway surfaces (cracks, lightly broken surfaces). The sound has been described as a rattle, knocking, clunking or "loose lumber" noise. This sound should be of a relatively low volume and behave as a brief rumble or thud following impacts with rough roadways. The sound is non-metallic in nature and has a dull wooden character.
The "loose lumber" sound exists as a result of the basic component configuration and tuning that effect the ride, handling and steering of the vehicle."

More info here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177254
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 04-05-2016 at 07:11 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #22
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
As I turn my steering wheel with hood opened I noticed the strut retainer leaned in one direction and then another (tilting) and heard some noise from suspension when new ...
From BMR Guy in another thread:
"I don't want to depress you guys but this noise is a by-product of the upper strut mount design and is not fixable by simply changing a strut or strut mount.

Unlike most strut vehicles with bolt-in upper strut mounts, the Zeta platform uses a floating upper mount. The mount literally just sits in place using the weight of the car to hold it there. Those funny looking formed washers in the engine bay that stick up 1/2" above the strut towers are the strut retainers. If they were not there, the struts would literally fall out if you jacked the car up.

What happens when you go over bumps, washboards, potholes, etc. is that the strut rebound valving does not allow the strut to extend quickly enough to compensate so the entire strut assembly falls down out of the strut tower slightly. This creates the noise everyone is hearing. It is not dangerous by any means but it is definitely annoying.

Ultimately the design itself needs to be changed or the problem will continue. This would have to include changing the design of the strut tower itself as well as the strut mount. I doubt GM will do any more major re-designs with the Zeta platform but hopefully this issue will be resolved with the upcoming Alpha platformed Camaros.

Keep in mind this is a completely different issue from the earlier upper spring isolator service bulletins. The issue being discussed generally only happens while driving over speed bumps, transitions, rough pavement, etc."

AND ALSO TSB in same thread:
"Some customers may comment about suspension noise coming from the front of the vehicle when driving at low/moderate speeds (16-40 km/h [10-25 mph]) over rough roadway surfaces (cracks, lightly broken surfaces). The sound has been described as a rattle, knocking, clunking or "loose lumber" noise. This sound should be of a relatively low volume and behave as a brief rumble or thud following impacts with rough roadways. The sound is non-metallic in nature and has a dull wooden character.
The "loose lumber" sound exists as a result of the basic component configuration and tuning that effect the ride, handling and steering of the vehicle."

More info here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177254
Ron
Thanks for that. Strange thing is that I never heard the sound going over any bumps or anything like described. Only going slow in reverse with the wheel turned. And after I had the dif fluid changed I've never heard it since.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #23
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
To me it feels like the diff is engaged and wants to more or less pull the wheels in the direction for a split second until it disengages causing the tire to more or less bind and hop creating a popping sound......... Flame away lol
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 AM   #24
Thor142

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerlemonta View Post
To me it feels like the diff is engaged and wants to more or less pull the wheels in the direction for a split second until it disengages causing the tire to more or less bind and hop creating a popping sound......... Flame away lol
Agree...and it could be two things. Dif noise and or the dif dragging the front tire causing that strut noise.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #25
Mrbowtie26

Drives: 2015 CRT 1SS 1LE
Thanks for that explanation sounds legit about the upper strut making the noise. I could see the diff attributing to a noise based on the fact when cold it can probably not work as smoothly while trying to rotate and cause more of a sound. Ive noticed when its really cold out (we've had a late cold spell here in CT) it does it worse.

Last edited by Mrbowtie26; 04-06-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Mrbowtie26 is offline   Reply With Quote