Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Oil change suggestion

Guys I know that there are several articles in this topic. I want to ask people here what is the suggested time when you guys change your oil and fluids.

I unfortunately don't have the tools to do it at home. (I am working on getting it soon.) So sometimes I rely on the dealer on their advise. With that being said I was told with the transmission fluid and the differential fluid to change it at 30K and 60K respectively. Now I don't want to wait that long. The car has 10K and I've yet to flush the radiator nor the brakes, nor change the transmission or the differential fluid. So my question is.

Is this hard for a person who has little mechanic experience ?
Because I rather do this myself because the dealer always advise me to not do it.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Yes, do it yourself. You need little more than some appropriately sized sockets and something to catch the dripping oil. You'll find that you'll do a better job of it anyway and you'll know that it was done right.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Changing oil, diff and trans fluids is as easy as taking the plug out, waiting for it to drain, then putting new fluid in. It doesn't take rocket appliances
Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
20152SS1Le

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
you will also need a hand pump for the trans and diff fluid but they are both really simple. I would change them soon because on mine with less than 5000 miles, the plug in the differentail had a lot of metal shavings on it since its a magnet.
Elite engineering catch can
Texas Speed 1 7/8 long tube headers and Cats
GPI Rod mod and ported intake
Ported throttle body
JRE tune
20152SS1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20152SS1Le View Post
you will also need a hand pump for the trans and diff fluid but they are both really simple. I would change them soon because on mine with less than 5000 miles, the plug in the differentail had a lot of metal shavings on it since its a magnet.
I used a long piece of clear plastic hose (very cheap at Home Depot) and let gravity do the work for the trans and rear end
Old 04-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
Changing oil, diff and trans fluids is as easy as taking the plug out, waiting for it to drain, then putting new fluid in. It doesn't take rocket appliances
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Omfg!!! ^^^^
Old 04-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
When you change your engine oil, make sure that the container will hold a least 8 quarts, not a 5 quart container. All the fluids are very easy to change on this car. No need to flush the radiator, look in your owners manual in the service section for millage intervals. You can also go to mychevrolet.com and set you up an account, to list your services done. Not having to buy rocket appliances to do this, will save you a lot of $!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Your call, but with only 10k miles, you're way early for everything except the engine oil, depending on when you did it last. Have you owned it since new? Asking because I can understand if you have no idea how the car has been used/maintained. I do the engine oil every 3-5k miles depending on how I'm using the car, more frequently if I'm tracking it regularly. Everything else mainly depends on how severely the car is being driven. If you're not tracking it, you have much more leeway.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
10k is too soon. Take your time, buy the tools. Many people are too concern of tool cost, and never make the purchase. Tools are investment, it will save you money over time.
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #11
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
So you guys like all the metal shavings from break in floating around in the trans and diff?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
SSmitch

Drives: 14 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Haven't heard that expression in a while, Love the Boys....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Livernois Motorsports:
Ported Heads, TB & Intake.
2 R Max Cam (W/upgraded dual valve springs & pushrods)
Kooks 1 7/8" SS Headers, HF Cats & NPP Exhaust
MSD Wire Set/Roto-Fab CAI
Elite Oil Catch Can/GM Oil Catch Can (Clean Side)
Custom Tune 93 Octane
500 WHP 453 WTQ
Sound Bite:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBUYF1Ce9Q
Dyno Run:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPE6DrtnVfo
SSmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Your call, but with only 10k miles, you're way early for everything except the engine oil, depending on when you did it last. Have you owned it since new? Asking because I can understand if you have no idea how the car has been used/maintained. I do the engine oil every 3-5k miles depending on how I'm using the car, more frequently if I'm tracking it regularly. Everything else mainly depends on how severely the car is being driven. If you're not tracking it, you have much more leeway.

I'm the first owner of this car. I did the first oil change myself the second was at the dealer. I've yet to change the transmission oil nor the differential oil. I am trying to get the rest of my tools. I did have a V6 before but it comparing it apples to oranges. Completely different animal. This V8 is a performance engine (Yea so was the LFX but it is in another league) and I want the best for this car. My goal is to keep this car for years and years to come. With that being said this is my daily driver I've occasionally been known to have a lead foot. but that is it. I want to track it someday because this is a track car. and that is why even more of a reason to ask these questions. So again sorry if I sound like a noob about this I come to these forums to learn and get people's feedback and years if not decades of experience with Camaro's and muscle cars for that matter.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
So you guys like all the metal shavings from break in floating around in the trans and diff?
Not particularly, which is why I asked him if he knew how the car had been maintained from new. I don't know if he was the original owner, or any of the prior maintenance history for the first 10K miles. I think it's common for any shadetree to understand the benefits in changing the engine oil in the first 500-1000 miles because of that, but not necessarily the transmission or the rear end.

Oh, and I dig your dancing llama.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote