Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
How to install AAC HID Bi-Xenon headlight on a non-RS Camaro – No Halos

When I purchased my car I preferred the look of the Halogen light vs the Halos. Plus I didn’t see the need to pay another $1,200 for the option. However….I did want HID headlights. I did not want Halos….not even aftermarket. After watching the threads I decided to buy the Bi-Xenon (8000k) headlights, 5202 bulbs for the fog lights, and a 1 chip license plate light ($360 to my door).

This is supposed to be a plug and play system so I decided to try to find some “How To” or “DIY” or just some basic instructions. Unfortunately I never could find them. No real instructions came with the system. Yes…there was some kind of real basic wiring diagram but it was basically useless to me. Called to talk to one of their Tech persons and I was only able to pick up some real basic info. One thing he did suggest was that I lay the wires out on the car instead of just the floor. At least that suggestion actually helped me out. I also found a pick from BFxenon’s setup and that helped as well but still not what I needed. Looking back now it’s a real straight forward install but when you’ve never done or seen one installed it’s a bit intimidating. The 5202 bulbs are backordered at the moment but they supposed to be here in another week or so.

So….I tried to take pictures along the way with my install so at least there is something out there for those that want to install an HID setup.

Here is what you get in the packaging. Two ballasts, a relay, and two bulbs. The basic premise of the install is to lay out the relay and its wires, replace both bulbs with the HID ones, find a negative ground for each ballast, supply a constant hot, and the input of the driver’s side headlight plugs into the input of the AAC supplied relay (passenger side headlight input is not used). My plan was to use Positive junction under the hood for the power source and use a self-tapping screw into the side of the fender for the ballasts.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 03-09-2010 at 08:09 AM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
caverman

I laid out the wiring by running it just in front of the radiator and just below the radiator mounts. I kind laid out where the ballasts were going to go and then got an idea of where to put the negative grounds.

I first removed the Halogen light and replaced it with the HID. The factory bulb comes out by just turning it to release it from the housing. Then pull back on the red locking mechanism. Then just pull the bulb out and give an a little side to side wiggle to help it out. Both of mine were kind of stiff to pull out. Once the Halogens are removed then you can just insert the HID. It really only goes in one way….not really going to mess this up. Put the bulb back into the light housing in the same way as you removed it. There are 3 tabs on the bulb so again…it’s hard to install it wrong or upside down.

I then plugged installed the negative grounds. This was a little hard in the fact of trying to get it started. I ended up drilling a small pilot whole first. Then just screw in the negative wire with the self tapping screw. I used black ones for looks and they are 8x7/16 screws.

I then plugged all the wires to the ballasts and HID lights. Again….pretty much everything can only plug in one way. Not really a way to get this wrong. Just watch where you are plugging it in. I had to unplug mine and run them under different wiring harnesses until I got it the way I liked.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
caverman

I then tried for the powersouce. I pulled off the red cap on the positive junction but the (11mm) bolt there looked way too big. I tried unbolting it but the bracket that holds it in place seemed like it was going to bend or twist so I stopped for the night. Asked the forum about a little info on the power source and was also able to get to another Tech at AAC. This time the guy seemed confident about what I was to do and was also a little more knowledgeable with working on the actual Camaro. Come to find out these kits are not necessarily specific just for the Camaro although it seems to be pretty much designed for it with the exception of the positive wire ring being way to small.

I went back and used the 11mm to remove the bolt on top of the positive junction. I held it from underneath for support. Sure enough it had a smaller post underneath it. The round wiring ring was not going to fit so I used some dykes and cut it into a “U” shaped ring. Put the positive bolt back and then went to try the lights to make sure it was working. Bam….everything came on perfectly just like it was supposed to. High beams work perfect as well.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
caverman

Now on to securing everything. I want to make as few as wholes as possible but I also want it to secure and to try to look like the car came that way. I secured the Relay to the windshield washer hose that goes along the driver’s side fender. I then went over to the passenger side and used zip ties to tie it up to some wiring harnesses. The ballast has a bracket on it. At the top of the bracket is a whole for securing it somewhere. I used that as one of my zip tie points. Then around the whole ballast itself and then another to help pull the ballast wires up. While I was on the passenger side I went ahead and used some electrical tape to protect the passenger side input for the light. This plug is not used for the system. I also zip tied it out of the way as well. One the driver’s side I’m only going to do a temporary securing. I plan on getting a CAI in the next few weeks so I don’t want to make anything permanent here until the CAI is installed. There isn’t nearly as much to zip tie to on the driver’s side so I just used the factory Air Intake and then a horizontal zip tie to something on the headlight housing.

That’s pretty much it. Like I said…at first it looks intimidating but then you realize it’s not much to it at all.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
caverman

Here are the before and after pictures.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
DaveT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM LS3
Very nice!
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Is it me, or is the last pic not as bright as the Halogens?
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Is it me, or is the last pic not as bright as the Halogens?
Hmmm.....I do see what you mean. The HID are definatley more "intense" though. There is nothing really wrong with the Halogens. I just like the more modernized lights of HID. The nice thing is these are not permanent at all. I could have it back to Halogens in about 15min and only have two small grounding holes left to show for it.

I think I'm going to change out from the 8000k down to the 6000k. These are just ever so slightly bluer than I would like. Other than that I like them.
Build Journal
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
nice install pics!!
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
It looks prety cool though. ive installed HID's on my past vehicles and they are brighter that halogen, like you said it might be too blue, if i were you i would definitely step it down to 6000k at least, 5300k would be my first choice, much whiter and better visibility.

did you noticed any flickering when turning them on?
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Torrian
T$'s SS

Drives: Victoryred with black rally stripes
Nice install and nice pic's
Torrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
did you noticed any flickering when turning them on?
No flickering at all....no noise...no stereo interferance....nothing. The AAC kit is designed for the fact that the non-RS headlights are the DRLs. They come on perfectly. The cut off line for the low beams seem perfect as well.

I'm very happy with the overall system....I just have to work out the right color of lights for me.
Build Journal
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
nice install!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
caverman

Although the wife and all my friends said the 8000k lights looked good I still wasn't comfortable with them. To me you could tell from a distance that they were aftermarket lights because they were blue. Most people want that (which is why the 8000k are so popular) but I felt like I was sticking out like a sore thumb. It wasn't horrible but it was enough to bother me. Unfortunate for me the only thing to do was to buy some new 6000k bulbs and hope I like them better.

Well...I ended up calling back AAC and talking with Andy about the issue. He ended up hooking me up with a good price on the new bulbs. The arrived this afternoon and I put them on but wanted to wait till tonight to make sure I liked them......HELL Yeah! This is what I was wanting! I know 6000k is not what most people like but they are exactly what I wanted. They are mostly white with just a hint of blue. They look more like what a factory Cadillac or Lexus have.

If you are considering aftermarket HID lights I would definately use AAC again. The install was super easy once I figured out where everything went. They aren't the cheapest HID kit but you get what you pay for. They are worth spending the extra money on. Hopefully you'll pick the right color from the start because bulbs aren't cheap (again you get what you pay for).

In these pics it looks more white than in person but they are definatley brighter and whiter than the 8000k lights. When you look at the lights from the front they are still somewhat blue but not nearly as much as the 8000k.

Here is 6000k vs 8000k vs factory Halogen
Attached Images

Build Journal