Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
Any good tire for SS? looking at Nitto INVO

I'm looking for new tires for my camaro. It's my first time buying tires for this one, and I have no clue on what to get.
I heard that the Nitto INVO are pretty good, lot's of grip, good for wet and dry, and the wear is pretty good, it's just bad in the cold, and the price is pretty reasonable. That's what I got from this forum and other forums.

I don't know much about tires so I been trying to do research, but for the size that the camaro uses it's a bit hard. So I'm here to ask other users that have more experience with it. What are some good tires, for driving on dry or wet, gives a good grip, and last enough(so I don't have to be buying new every month)?

I'm not going to tracks, I'm not a big fan of burn outs, but I do them some times, but I rather a tire that will stick to the ground and will just throw me forward.

If it's of any matter, I live in NC, and I drive once every 3 months to NJ and FL.
Mdipinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Good choice with Nitto Invos! A couple questions and concerns though. The Invos front tires in stock size 245 are a little under rated for loading. Are looking for stock size or bigger? A lot of guys with bigger rims are going with the 275/315 combo which is a perfect setup with the Invos! As far as cold weather bothe the P-Zeros and Invos are summer only tires and should not be used in sub freezing weather. If you're driving in winter maybe a set of winters or all seasons would be a better choice. Hope this helps!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Mdipinto

I'm looking to keep stock sizes, and I'll drive in cold weather, but not on ice.
I'm in the military, and I live in the barracks. I drive to eat and work(barely 2 miles a day) and on weekends I drive some more and when it's a holiday I drive to NJ or FL(not all holidays)...

What do you mean by under rated for loading?
I'm new to tires. Last tires I had to buy was for a Pontiac Vibe, and it was a easy pick on cheap all weather.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Don't know if Vredesteins come in the stock sizes, but they have been well received by the Camaro, Corvette, and Porsche communities. After tons of research on my part, I finally pulled the trigger on a set, but in non-stock sizes. Under $1000 for a set shipped to me.

Others here like the General G-Max AS-03.

Other tires I considered were the Invos, Continental DW and DWS (50,000 mile wear rating), and a few others that are escaping my mind right now.....
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I just put on a set of Toyo proxes4 all season tires on my SS.
You can get them for under $1,000 installed.
Very quiet, grip the road in cold weather, I like them.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdipinto View Post
I'm looking to keep stock sizes, and I'll drive in cold weather, but not on ice.
I'm in the military, and I live in the barracks. I drive to eat and work(barely 2 miles a day) and on weekends I drive some more and when it's a holiday I drive to NJ or FL(not all holidays)...

What do you mean by under rated for loading?
I'm new to tires. Last tires I had to buy was for a Pontiac Vibe, and it was a easy pick on cheap all weather.

Thanks for the info.
The link below describes the numbers (tire specs) for tires. The problem with Invo 245s is that the weight capacity of the tire is less than what GM says we need. Meaning you can't carry as must weight in the car. Those tires in that size were not made for the SS. You run the risk of the tire Failing if overloaded. Always choose tires with the same or better ratings for weight and speed to be safe.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Mdipinto

I noticed the tires they have at tire rack, but I'm not sure how they perform on grip(wet, dry) and the wear on it.

And what you guys think about buying INVO for the rear and another good brand for the front?
I'm not sure of all the tires, I appreciate the help trying to teach me, but I'm also wondering on how the tire perform too.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdipinto View Post
I noticed the tires they have at tire rack, but I'm not sure how they perform on grip(wet, dry) and the wear on it.

And what you guys think about buying INVO for the rear and another good brand for the front?
I'm not sure of all the tires, I appreciate the help trying to teach me, but I'm also wondering on how the tire perform too.
If you are just using the tires on the street for a daily driver mixing brands should not be an issue. The Invos don't have the same speed rating as the Pirellis. So unless you plan on going faster than 150 mph you should be fine.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Mdipinto

And I was looking at the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K11, do you know anything about those?
And which tires are you using in your camaro? Would you recommend it?

I'm looking like crazy for tires that will fit and do a good job...

Tags
tires