Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
Ok, so now i'm mad.

I ordered a hurst line lock from one of the vendors on this site, and had some major issues getting the thing up and running.

I blew every fuse in a 10 fuse package trying to get this thing installed. I tested and tested and tested my voltages, my grounds, and my wiring. I pulled all of my wiring out and rewired the entire assembly twice thinking surely, I did something wrong.

Every time i tried to arm the system it would blow the fuse. Sometimes it would blow instantly, sometimes it would actually light the momentary switch. Twice, i actually got the solenoid to fire, but both of those times the instant i tried to bundle up the wires for insertion into the trim panel the fuse would blow. Must be a short in the momentary switch, because on my last fuse, i remove it and just use the system arm switch for the solenoid activation and lo and behold, the system works perfectly.

I contacted the vendor, and they finally got me a replacement switch after nearly a week of arguing with their supplier. Sorta. The one that i got is un-wired, and un-marked. So i go get the old one out to see if the wiring can be deciphered so i can get the new one installed.... and look at the utter crap i find under the heat shrink....

yeah, that't it. no wonder it shorted the system. All 3 leads have 1/2 in of exposed wire, and all 3 leads touch one another, you can even see where the wire is discolored from the arcing when it shorted and blew the fuse. The red (hot) and black (ground) are wrapped around one another.

Thank you Hurst for 4 hours of heartache and grief. At least i didn't blow my computer because i used fuses....(even if it took 10 of them)

Last edited by Netraa; 05-20-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: smaller picture
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I wonder if someone had wacked up that solder job and then returned the item.

I'd find out if they are supposed to come pre-soldered (I'd imagine yes) or if the end user is supposed to assemble.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Once again, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I don't know what happened to pride in your work but it is getting harder and harder to find these days. Glad you were able to work it out!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Netraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I wonder if someone had wacked up that solder job and then returned the item.

I'd find out if they are supposed to come pre-soldered (I'd imagine yes) or if the end user is supposed to assemble.
This was the dedicated 5th gen Camaro kit and they come pre-wired, color coded with heat shrink 'protecting' the end of the switch from Hurst... vacuum sealed to a piece of cardboard.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
This was the dedicated 5th gen Camaro kit and they come pre-wired, color coded with heat shrink 'protecting' the end of the switch from Hurst... vacuum sealed to a piece of cardboard.
WoW... that REALLY sucks then.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Netraa

Well now, the vendor that I used on this is going to have Hurst send me another switch, this one pre-wired.

any bets that the first thing i do on this one is cut off the shrink and check the wires?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
How did you not find this when checking the wiring? A continuity check on the switch would have been one of the first things to check.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
How did you not find this when checking the wiring? A continuity check on the switch would have been one of the first things to check.
+1 for bench testing
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Netraa

I did check the switches. The master arm switch checked out fine, and when I checked the momentary switch, it showed as an open, red to brown, and a 12 volt hot red to ground. I guess I just didn't test as well as I thought I did.

Lesson learned.