Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
When looking for a used sports car, I typically look for a car that is stock and hasn't been modified. If two of the exact same car are sitting on the lot and one is stock and the other is heavily modded, I'll buy the stock car every time.

Another thing to think about during resale is that people tend to look at heavily modded cars as being driven very hard. Definitely a negative affecting value.

So...if you do mod, keep all your original parts and put it back to stock if you sell it. Sell your high dollar parts separately on Craigslist, eBay or a site like Camaro5. You will make more money this way. I've done it several times.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #30
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
unique |yoōˈnēk|
adjective
being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else

At 144,000 production so far, I think the word unique fails to work.

With 12 million new vehicles on the road last year, 144000 is absolutely unique. Now I'll read the rest of your post...

We don't protect the value of our cars because we want to sell them in 30 years, we protect because we will sell them in 4 to 7 years, plus or minus 4 years.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #31
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I am very selective about my mods. I have only made changes that I feel make my car better in both appearance and performance. I don't let GM's warranty stop me from doing what I want to with my car. However, I can appreciate why others want to make sure their warranty is in tact.

I was also reluctant at first to change my car, but after the first mod, I was hooked. I love researching and then deciding which mods are appropriate for me and my car.

To each their own, I say.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
With 12 million new vehicles on the road last year, 144000 is absolutely unique. Now I'll read the rest of your post...

We don't protect the value of our cars because we want to sell them in 30 years, we protect because we will sell them in 4 to 7 years, plus or minus 4 years.
also compared to the number of 1st gen's.

Official Chevrolet production records show a total of 220,906 Camaros built in 1967; 235,147 Camaros built in 1968; and 243,085 Camaros built in the last year of the first generation, 1969.

If mine is worth MSRP 20 years from now, I would be ok with that.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #33
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
It seems like everyone is either fully into mods or believes in keeping their Camaro (or other muscle/pony car) stock (Oh yeah, except for those waiting for the waranty to be up, then mods). I am torn. Part of me wants to make my Camaro uniquely mine (when I can afford to). The other part wants to leave perfection alone & leave it stock. My husband is fully in the stock camp. Anything I mention doing he says "leave it stock, it will be worth more". I'd love to hear you guys discuss the pros & cons of each & your reasons.
Let me start by saying i've modded my car so understand where my view point is.

Leaving this car stock because it will be worth more really only holds true if you sell it with warranty still in effect or the mods are just tasteless and no one wants to buy it as is.

I can tell you when i first put the sc on this car i got some offers from people that would of paid for the car and mods dead even. But this is during the time the car is still new to people.

Why did i mod my car? Simple i like to have a car that can compete. Some people mod with lights or stereos, paint schemes, ect. Its all about taste and what you want to do to make it yours.

Heres some generic safe mods that can boost performance and wont lower your car value due to warranty. filter, intake, exhuast, wires,lighter rims, tires, simple bolt ons.

and being you have a v6 i wouldn't sink a whole lot of money in it to begin with on performance.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #34
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
unique |yoōˈnēk|
adjective
being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else

At 144,000 production so far, I think the word unique fails to work.

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think the 5th gen Camaro will ever be very collectible. Will people collect them? Yes. That's the problem. You have to think; collectible cars today were not generally bought and tucked away for the purpose of creating a retirement nest egg.

The idea of decreasing value of the car by making modifications doesn't ring true to me, and that's not just because I sell mods! I agree with earlier posters who say that money spent to modify your car is not returned in resale value, and the mods are not worth what you spent to get them. But I also don't see *most* mods causing a drop in value.

Would those changes make the car worth less in 30 years if they did become collectible? Yes, I think so. But if there are not tons of cars that have been wrecked, modded, parts missing, rusted ,broken down and just plain junk then none of the "survivors" will be worth much.

And how much might they be worth? Look at a Gen I Camaro. You can pick up a REALLY nice 67-69 Camaro for 30-35K. That's about 10X their original value. If the Gen5 were as collectible (I don't think they will be) then we're talking $300,000 in 40 years. If you want to make money I would suggest selling the Camaro now and dropping that 30K into an investment account. 40 years from now it will be worth almost $700,000 with a modest return, and that is much more of a certainty than waiting to see if the car becomes more valuable.

I'm just saying, trying to protect the car's value over enjoying it the way YOU want to enjoy it seems like having your cake, but not eating it.

And to those that want to keep it all stock I say enjoy, too. Just not too much... don't want to put any miles on the odometer.
Your wrong and its a fact. No mods will not decrease value but they do not necessarily raise value or hold value. Look at cars that are classics now and selling, the ones worth big bucks are not modded ones, sorry. Now Mods are cool and you if you are planning on an investment with a car then your stupid. But how many times do you see somebody dump 20k into a car and get it back, whethere it be engine work,interior work, or whatever?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #35
Bear2SS

Drives: Soon to be 2013 ZL1
I say, to each their own. If you're happy with it stock, then keep it stock. If you want to do one or more mods because you want to, then do that. It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. I keep my cars forever so I have no problem with mods. I agree that you will seldom if ever recover money spent on mods. Do it because you want to and like it! I don't regret one thing so far. Make a plan and don't do impulse mods and you will be fine.
Bear2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #36
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
Your wrong and its a fact. No mods will not decrease value but they do not necessarily raise value or hold value. Look at cars that are classics now and selling, the ones worth big bucks are not modded ones, sorry. Now Mods are cool and you if you are planning on an investment with a car then your stupid. But how many times do you see somebody dump 20k into a car and get it back, whethere it be engine work,interior work, or whatever?
How am I wrong if we agree? I just said, mods don't add any value and an unmodified car would be worth more, and using a car for investment isn't wise.

You're Jedi mind tricks won't work on me.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #37
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Mod => making it "yours"

It can be as small as different floor mats or hanging something off the rearview mirror or getting a custom license plate all the way to a full blown redo.

There are a lot of these being produced and it is an incredible platform. Part of the fun of walking around at Camaro 5 Fest was trying too see what the next car would bring and could you figure out if it even had any mods. My kids and I thought that was the coolest.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #38
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
These camaros will not be worth too much down the road; too many produced, possibly the SS/RS may retain higher value; the V6s will not be appealing to collectors at all....

I have said it before, i'll say it again...the V6 stock exhaust is an abomination....change it at next opportunity!
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #39
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Stock sucks
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #40
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
How am I wrong if we agree? I just said, mods don't add any value and an unmodified car would be worth more, and using a car for investment isn't wise.

You're Jedi mind tricks won't work on me.
Let me go back sorry. What i meant is this, is that if the car is collectable it will decrease value and to be honest even on a two year old car mods can decrease value. I do agree with what you started out with. And Im not against mods i more of suttle moder my syself.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #41
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
one word. Mods.

Only cars that are worth to leave it stock are Lambos, Ferraris, real super cars... Camaro is like a mustang... a base platform car, you get the most out of it if you mod it =p. Some mods void warranty... but other than warranty, I don't see a downside. Most mods give you more power, speed, sound, increased gas mileage, unique looks, and the list goes on. The word Camaro means comrade... when you own a Camaro, you want to treat it like your best friend So MOD IT!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #42
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Mines pretty stock.........haha, well maybe not. I did the things I did to it because it's mine and I wanted to. I'm thinking for "me", not for the next person that might own this car. I can say I have/had that awesome car and made it even better.