Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Question ECM trouble???

Well my fellow third gen owners, the last day and a half has been a very rough road. A couple days ago my room mate and I pulled up into my parking spot, and when I went to turn the ignition off I got a little surprise. IT WOULD NOT MOVE. I tried and tried everything I knew to get it to budge, but no luck... So I had to get my pair of needle nose pliers and remove the ECM fuse to manually shut the car off.

Next I disconnected the negative battery cable, locked it up, and called it a night. The next morning my dad arranged a tow truck to pick up the car, and take it to a automotive garage that his high school friend knew.

So I wait a (very dreadful) day to pick up the car while they changed out the bad lock/cylinder and get a buddy to take me to pick it up.

They had called me before I went there to ask if it was still running before the problem happened because they tried to start it, but all it was doing was turning over (with no check light on). So I told them "ya, I took the ECM fuse out to kill the car, just look in the console; should be a red 10 amp fuse." So I picked up the car, paid the repair bill, and drove off.

NOW here's the part that I'm questioning; it's now acting like it's having a fuel feed problem because the car is acting like it's running out of fuel. However it isn't NEARLY as noticeable if that were really the case. It hasn't just died on me, just getting this weird "chug" during acceleration and a less noticeable "chug" during idle sometimes.

Is the ECM trying to re-learn everything from being disconnected for a long time (IAC valve, TPS sensor, fuel injectors, etc. etc.) or could it actually be damaged? I know it's not too low on fuel (has an 1/8 of a tank right now) so what could it be?

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
GRASSHOPPER

Drives: 1987 z28
do a re-learn process with a full tank of fuel and see if it makes any difference. if not you will need to put it on a scanner, it is possible pulling the fues while in operation may have tripped a sensor or 2. do a search for re learn and you should find it easily
GRASSHOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRASSHOPPER View Post
do a re-learn process with a full tank of fuel and see if it makes any difference. if not you will need to put it on a scanner, it is possible pulling the fues while in operation may have tripped a sensor or 2. do a search for re learn and you should find it easily
Thanks, but it turned out that the spark plug wire to plug #4 got on the manifold and was shorting out on it. Pulled it away and no more "miss".

Today I went to Orielly's to change out my serpentine belt, as I walked by one of the Orielly's associates who was helping somebody asked me if I knew where the sparkplugs would be on a Honda Civic... I simply told him that; "I don't know, I only work on American vehicles."

He told me that was the best damn answer he ever heard.
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote