Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #43
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Then what the hell is the point of an OnStar box in my car?
Emergencies? You can still have all the other features of onstar.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #44
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Emergencies? You can still have all the other features of onstar.
Well it doesn't make sense to me to pay an additional $700-400 depending on the model to get that functionality AND pay for OnStar, just because I am told the software is not compatible.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #45
PoorMansCamaro

I thought it was a hardware issue...
Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #46
scritchy

Drives: Black 2LT RS CGM Rallys
Quote:
I disagree.........writing code isn't that cumbersome or a costly process as redesigning a car or building a 5.5 liter V8. I am sure the 2012 will have options that 2011 owner will desire, but saying that you can't re-work code is plain laziness and ignorance.
The defense and aerospace industries say you are wrong. A significant portion of the cost of a platform/aircraft is recouping the costs spent on software development.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #47
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritchy View Post
The defense and aerospace industries say you are wrong. A significant portion of the cost of a platform/aircraft is recouping the costs spent on software development.
For some thing that fires a multi-million dollar warhead. And please don't start up the government contracts argument, I know enough about that cluster-f.

On-star software maybe costs couple hundred bucks.

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #48
Blade

Quote:
I thought it was a hardware issue...
The OnStar hardware already has ability to communicate back and forth with the OnStart servers. That's why when we call OnStar, the rep is able to pinpoint our locations, unlock doors and turn off the car. Same reason why we get emails monthly updating our car info.

This is a firmware upgrade issue, which can easily be done same way the GM techs update the PDIM software in our cars.

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #49
squatin0n18s

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS A6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think this 31 second video addresses your question quite well.

HAHAHA seriously? Some of you guys are that upset about an apllication for your phone? So what if you can't get it you still have a CAMARO, get the sand out from down there and stop being wusses. If they wanna be lazy and not bring it to 2010 users, so be it. I'm still not wholly convinced they could give it to yall if they wanted.

I don't have a smart phone but wait....shouldn't they make it work on my phone too!? that's only fair! Just because i bought it last year and its not compatible with this new app, LG phone services better give me a phone that works with the app or ya know what i'm not giving them my money anymore! Its just not fair you guys! Seriously though get over it it's not the end of the world.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #50
stet

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Just keep in mind that this app communicates between your phone and the OnStar center. It does not communicate directly between your phone and your car. The communication between your car and the OnStar center is already in place. That is why this notion of needing a hardware upgrade in the car seems like BS. Also, any software update necessary to support this app would also not be in the car, it would be at the OnStar center.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #51
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
I just don't get it. Why are people so upset? JUST GET THE VIPER ALARM WITH THIS FEATURE!
Because thats a $700 alarm system that many people don't want to buy when this package is ALREADY BUILT IN WITH NAVIGATION AND EVERYTHING. Why would you want to pay to install something that is built in for free? I like OnStar, I like the features, I pay for it yearly, I do not want to install another system in my car, nor do I want to pay for an extra box and service when I am already paying for OnStar. And before you say "well then cancel OnStar and get the new service" I don't want to have a stupid GPS hanging off my dash, I like the integration of the OnStar directions into my car.

PS I still think its possible that there is a perfectly good reason why this doesn't work, but unfortunately we don't know the true technical reason yet (or ever??).
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #52
PoorMansCamaro

Just curious, if you call onstar now, can they start the car?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #53
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Because thats a $700 alarm system that many people don't want to buy when this package is ALREADY BUILT IN WITH NAVIGATION AND EVERYTHING. Why would you want to pay to install something that is built in for free? I like OnStar, I like the features, I pay for it yearly, I do not want to install another system in my car, nor do I want to pay for an extra box and service when I am already paying for OnStar. And before you say "well then cancel OnStar and get the new service" I don't want to have a stupid GPS hanging off my dash, I like the integration of the OnStar directions into my car.

PS I still think its possible that there is a perfectly good reason why this doesn't work, but unfortunately we don't know the true technical reason yet (or ever??).
well, then i guess you don't want the feature that badly then. All I can say then is, get a 2011.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #54
Blade

Quote:
Just curious, if you call onstar now, can they start the car?
If they are able to turn the car off remotely, they all they have to do is upgrade the firmware to pick up the same code that is used when we use our key fob. The infrastructure is there already. You just go in there and create another method to enable this from the OnStar servers. Which they have already done in the 2011s.

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #55
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
If they are able to turn the car off remotely, they all they have to do is upgrade the firmware to pick up the same code that is used when we use our key fob. The infrastructure is there already. You just go in there and create another method to enable this from the OnStar servers. Which they have already done in the 2011s.

Well, perhaps you can get this for the older cars with onstar. Just individually. Maybe when they say it's only for 2011 and newer, they mean it comes with these cars. I mean, has onstar said it can not work with older cars?

edit:
Quote:
What about vehicles older than 2011? Will the mobile app technology work for them?

The mobile app technology requires OnStar’s new hardware, Gen 9, which just launched with the 2011 model year.
Doesn't say anything about not being able to upgrade the older cars.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #56
justincase_2008
The Freak Kid

Drives: ABM 2010 SS/RS White strips
I think they did. Either way idc if it comes to the 2010. Just "upset" about the way they blew it off as a hardware thing.

Closed Thread