Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Track day cooling

Hey guys, looking at a ZL1 to replace my recently deceased track hooptie. Never had a boosted car on a road course before and I was initially considering just an 1LE but have read many good things about the ZL1 so I figure why not especially since it still fits my budget.

Coming from an almost dedicated track car, I know the importance of cooling. So this time around I'm going to start the right way with those kinds of mods.

For those who have track the cars, how did they handle the heat especially an automatic? Are the stock coolers good enough for a stock car, or do you really need to upgrade those?

I was considering doing a DeWitts radiator with the built in trans cooler and then do some sort of dedicated oil cooler.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Every single one of the Camaro's runs hot at the track and should have additional cooling. Usually the oil temp puts all of them in reduced power mode. In moderate weather they all do ok, but when it's hot they all suffer. The key to road coursing the ZL1 is to keep the boost number as low as possible, by using long tubes without cats, and a cam will drop it. Both will provide more power than stock, but require a tune and in the case of a cam other supporting hardware. For a road course ZL1 build aim to keep the maximum boost pressure at no more than 11-12 PSI.

In either case the car will benefit from larger coolers, esp when tracking in hot weather. Stock or modified.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
So it's the oil temp that's the most common issue, or does the radiator/trans cooler need to be updated?

Also I see there's already an oil cooler installed...can that be modified to run lines to the front of the car for an external cooler? Or do you have to remove that and build your own cooler adapter with lines and stuff? On my previous car it didn't come with one, so I had to build it from scratch...so would be nice if I can just piggy back onto the existing unit and just make it better.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
Utjoel333

Drives: 2014 zl1
I don't see an issue with my Z. Sure cooler means more power. I have a manual. Not sure what you mean by good enough but a smile on my face is good enough. Was in 101 Texas heat last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Utjoel333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
I've run in 100 degree weather at thunderhill ... Run a Ron Davis radiator/Hx and rotofab S/C resivour.... Gauge did get near 300 but no reduced power mode... From what I've read the gauge is an estimate based on your use not the actual temp... I'm confedent that my temps were not an issue... I ran amsoil 5-30
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI View Post
So it's the oil temp that's the most common issue, or does the radiator/trans cooler need to be updated?

Also I see there's already an oil cooler installed...can that be modified to run lines to the front of the car for an external cooler? Or do you have to remove that and build your own cooler adapter with lines and stuff? On my previous car it didn't come with one, so I had to build it from scratch...so would be nice if I can just piggy back onto the existing unit and just make it better.
The problem with a boosted car like the ZL1 on a road track is IAT2 temps. Oil temps need to be watched on all cars... even more on the SS than a ZL1.

Definitely add heat exchanger for your super charger coolant and a separate reservoir for like Roto-Fab or D3 for extra capacity to keep IAT temps in check. Once IAT rises high enough (on my tuned car it's ~165) then timing is pulled accordingly and you will lose some power.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
If you had a dedicated track car before your probably going to be pushing the car harder than most. I would start off stock and see how it goes for you. You can also do an E85 conversion to keep the motor happier at the track. Don't know about the Auto as I have the M6. In any case the cooling issues can be resolved with a few larger coolers. The typical issues are engine oil temp, and IAT2 temp chopping some power. If your going to mod try to build so the boost pressure remains as low as possible. IE if you add blower speed the boost increases, same mod with a cam, and or headers it will make more power with less boost pressure. Boost numbers are only a measure of restriction.... which also means heat. All those things said it makes a great track car.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote