Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Rendo

Drives: 2010 2SS
Question on Vinyl Stripe Installation

Searched for a couple hours yesterday on an answer to this question with no luck.

I have Vinyl stripes from Ridergraphix. I planned on doing the wet install and I have observed how well the stripes being in the sun can aid in installation. I have had these since December and been waiting on the weather to cooperate, but being in England it's rare to have sunshine and no rain.

Question: Will rain and lack of sunshine ruin the install?

Appreciate any wisdom on the matter.

edit: Just realized I posted this in the wrong section, sorry.
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything

Last edited by Rendo; 05-09-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Rendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
As far as I know and I'm no pro. You don't want to be in the sun or were heat can get to the decal. Heat can play a big role in the instal. Heat can make them stretch when your applying the decal. Nice cool spot and give them time to dry before driving.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Agreed. I was always under the impression you wanted to avoid heat so the vinyl wouldn't stretch/deform as you applied it, but theres more than a few experts on the forum that I'm sure could chime in to help.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
As far as I know and I'm no pro. You don't want to be in the sun or were heat can get to the decal. Heat can play a big role in the instal. Heat can make them stretch when your applying the decal. Nice cool spot and give them time to dry before driving.
True I want to avoid heat, but that's never a problem. The instructions say the Sun helps dry them out. I just don't have anywhere to keep it out of the rain even with two garages. Big American cars don't fit in them.
2010 Black 2SS/RS M6 - SLP Loud Mouth II Exhaust, AIRAID Intake System, RX Catch Can, Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit, Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter, Skipshift Eliminator, Heritage Grill, JDP Color Changing Halos, Blackout Everything
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Rendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Agreed. I was always under the impression you wanted to avoid heat so the vinyl wouldn't stretch/deform as you applied it, but theres more than a few experts on the forum that I'm sure could chime in to help.
Thanks Dylan, guess I wasn't too clear. I'm mainly talking about after the installation during the drying period. Heat isn't really an issue even if I do have sunlight. I'm more concerned with the rain.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I'd like to think a couple good hours to set and you should be good. Even if it rains as long as they are laid tight and no bubles or creases you should be good. Ive laid a lot of vinyl decal but never a stripe kit with a decal so long. I have this on my (I wanto learn how)list.
I did see a how to some ware.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote