Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Question for you car audio wizzards

I used to do quite a bit with car audio (even worked at a couple shops) but I've been out of the game for a VERY long time.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a quality... I don't even know what to call it... amp degrader?

Basically I have an in line amp unit for proprietary electronics that plugs in between the head unit and speakers. The problem is that it would amplify the signal before it gets to the factory amp, which causes problems. It's basically the same power as most brand aftermarket head units, 50x4 max 22x4 RMS.

I'm actually almost regretting going with the BA now that I'm figuring all of this out, but the factory amp is nicer (this one is just a little guy, no way it would pass as a real 50x4 all on it's own, least not in the stuff I used to work with), and I'm sure the BA system has upgraded speakers. But not sure what to do with trying to get this amp in line...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
I used to do quite a bit with car audio (even worked at a couple shops) but I've been out of the game for a VERY long time.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a quality... I don't even know what to call it... amp degrader?

Basically I have an in line amp unit for proprietary electronics that plugs in between the head unit and speakers. The problem is that it would amplify the signal before it gets to the factory amp, which causes problems. It's basically the same power as most brand aftermarket head units, 50x4 max 22x4 RMS.

I'm actually almost regretting going with the BA now that I'm figuring all of this out, but the factory amp is nicer (this one is just a little guy, no way it would pass as a real 50x4 all on it's own, least not in the stuff I used to work with), and I'm sure the BA system has upgraded speakers. But not sure what to do with trying to get this amp in line...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Can you give us a bit more info on What are you trying to hook up, and what are you trying to do?
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Sounds like you need line coverters.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

It's a small in line amp that takes the signal from the factory stereo & amplifies the factory signal, along with it's own control unit's signal. That way it can mute the factory system if you're using the control unit for anything it does through the stereo.

So it's not wired in parallel in addition to the factory system, the factory wiring will literally have to pass through it, and when it does it comes out amplified. That's a great thing if you don't have factory amplifiers, not so great if you do as you push too much power to the OEM amp.

So basically, I'm wanting to un-amplify the line after this amp back to factory levels, if that's even possible...

I think I'll give crutchfield a ring, they used to have all kinds of wizardry for factory systems, see what they say...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
So, you're using this in-line equipment to do what?

It doesn't make sense to put in an amplifier if it's not for anything. What is the "control unit" part of? An alarm? An equalizer? Something completely random?
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
So, you're using this in-line equipment to do what?

It doesn't make sense to put in an amplifier if it's not for anything. What is the "control unit" part of? An alarm? An equalizer? Something completely random?
Yeah thats what I'm wondering as well, what are you trying to do? We very well may be able to suggest a solution that will work better than what you're looking for.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

I found a number for BA last night, going to give them a ring today and see what they say since the manufacturer said they have several customers running with factory amplified systems. It's possible the factory amp is already taking a fully amplified signal from the factory stereo anyway and just bumping it up further. Will see what they say.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Camaro Pro

Drives: Full Size GMC pickup
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do, but I do know a little bit about the BA audio system. The radio isn't doing any amplification, it's all done in the Amp. The head unit does do the speed sensitive volume, and loudness contour. a loudness contour is used to change the output signal, at higher volume levels. These are used to keep us from vibrating the trim panels, premature speaker failures, and a few other things.
Camaro Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

We can't help you if you don't give us any information.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Sounds like you are putting in a preamplifier transmitter(signal/voltage booster). Works great if you know what components are compatible w/ them..

but if you're just looking to 'unamplify' your signal, just turn down the gains on the amp..which really defeats the purpose of having an amp in the first place.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Just got off the phone with BA, sounds like the in line amp is small enough it should be fine in line without worry.

Now to just find someone manufacturing the OEM wiring harness...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

were all still wondering what exactly it is youre installing and what does it do?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
Just got off the phone with BA, sounds like the in line amp is small enough it should be fine in line without worry.

Now to just find someone manufacturing the OEM wiring harness...
Try Crutchfield, but car may be too new..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
were all still wondering what exactly it is youre installing and what does it do?
The suspense is killing us...