Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Local tire place messed up my paint, need advice

I noticed a nail in my tire yesterday, so I took it to a local tire place to get it plugged. It was in the back tire, so it needed to go up on a lift. I gave the guy my key, got it fixed, looked around my tire, didn't see any damage, and went home.

Well, stupid me didn't bother checking my door. Whatever a-hole drove my car onto the lift busted my door into something and chipped off the paint. The picture below shows the damage. It's worse than it looks, because it's hard to see the flake of paint that's in the front, but you get the gist of it from the big white spot.

I am so f'ing pissed off right now. The place is closed, so I'm planning on going back tomorrow and fuss at someone. My question is...what do I demand? For them to pay for touch up paint? For them to get this part repainted if possible (is the whole door necessary? I really don't want that).

Please don't lecture me on letting someone else drive my car without supervision. It's never happening again. Ever.

Thanks, please advise. :(
Attached Images

philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
I would try to get them to agree for a professional repair espeacilly if there is a dent. If they give you grief, try touch up paint. Touch ups on a door edge is pretty easy and work real well.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
DiverNB

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
It looks like kind of caused a bit of paint bubbling a little bit around the scratch area...

Have you tried to clay / apply any polish to the area to see if some of it comes off?

2004 Redfire Cobra
**SOLD**

DiverNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
Sorry about the ding but it will be hard to never let someone else drive your car because shop liability usually only lets shop personel work with the equipment.

That said,I agree they should be responsible for a professional repair not just a simple paint brush touch up, that is why they have liability insurance in the first place.

Good luck,
Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
2KWIK4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
The odds of them fixing that are one in ten billion

You might as well save yourself the time and aggravation of going back because they're just going to say they didn't do it.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i think it is going to be hard for you to prove that they did it.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
get them to professionally repair it, if the don't want call the Better Business Bureau and if u still can't get it fixed call a lawyer, unless they have paperwork that u signed that relieves them of any liability

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverNB View Post
It looks like kind of caused a bit of paint bubbling a little bit around the scratch area...

Have you tried to clay / apply any polish to the area to see if some of it comes off?
That white is not paint on my paint, it's my paint completely gone.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWIK4U View Post
That said,I agree they should be responsible for a professional repair not just a simple paint brush touch up, that is why they have liability insurance in the first place.

Good luck,
Danny
Do you (or anyone else) think it's possible to get a professional repair without painting the entire door? :(
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
panexpoguy

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T
You can ask them to pay for it and they will deny they did it.

You can insist that they provide you with their shop owners liability insurance carrier and file a claim and their carrier will deny it because you have no independent witness.

You can take them to small claims court and the judge will find for the shop most likely.

So the best recourse is to pay for the repair yourself, never use that shop again, and tell all your friends anf family to spread the word that they suck. At least it will be a spiritual victory.
panexpoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by panexpoguy View Post

You can insist that they provide you with their shop owners liability insurance carrier and file a claim and their carrier will deny it because you have no independent witness.

You can take them to small claims court and the judge will find for the shop most likely.

So the best recourse is to pay for the repair yourself, never use that shop again, and tell all your friends anf family to spread the word that they suck. At least it will be a spiritual victory.

I hate to agree with this scenario, but unfortunately it is reality. Once you leave, you are cooked!

And yes they will paint, and blend into the door and possibly the rear quarter so the paint blends. A good shop will just do the door. Probably about $500 is my guesstimate (in NY anyway)

Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panexpoguy View Post

I actually agree with you. Just on the offchance that the manager/owner is a person with some integrity, I was hoping to get some advice. If I could get that one part repainted without getting the entire door done, that would be ideal. I just don't know if they can do that.

That said, if they won't pay to fix it, I'm going to ask to talk to the person that did it and make them feel like the a-hole that they are.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Looks like the door hit the lift post. You might be able to match up the yellow paint
transfer from the door. An honest shop will pay for the repair.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Domic

Drives: '11 Chevy crew cab. '14 black 1LE
I would go look for the yellow paint on their equipment before talking to anyone, that's your only chance.
Domic is offline   Reply With Quote