Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
2014 Suspension

Alright so I've been looking at suspension for my new 2014 LS3. I don't know of any suspension companies that have been able to check fitment of suspension parts on a 2014 yet. Has anybody tried upgrading the suspension on theirs yet or having any guidance as far as fitment?
CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Apex Motorsports Catch Can, Apex Intake Scoop/Washer Bottle Relocate, Skip Shift Eliminator, Stainless Works 2" Headers, High Flow Cats, Retro Catback Exhaust, JRE Tune...more to follow

12.6087 1/4 ET @ 113.98MPH on stock tires.
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Any parts designed for the FE4 suspension should work. what are your plans?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Basically lowering springs, front and rear sway bars, rear trailing arms, toe rods, and subframe brace. Basically just trying to get better handling and reduce some wheel hop. The new Camaro is going to be my daily driver and I won't be taking it to the track more than a few times a year maybe. I am doing some performance upgrades and I will be S/C it eventually.
CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Apex Motorsports Catch Can, Apex Intake Scoop/Washer Bottle Relocate, Skip Shift Eliminator, Stainless Works 2" Headers, High Flow Cats, Retro Catback Exhaust, JRE Tune...more to follow

Old 10-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
Basically lowering springs, front and rear sway bars, rear trailing arms, toe rods, and subframe brace. Basically just trying to get better handling and reduce some wheel hop. The new Camaro is going to be my daily driver and I won't be taking it to the track more than a few times a year maybe. I am doing some performance upgrades and I will be S/C it eventually.
We had a 2014 Camaro in here last week to check fitment on all of our parts and any of our parts that fit the 2013 Camaros will fit the 2014 Camaros. If you want shoot me a PM or give me a call here at the shop (813)986-9302 and I can figure out what parts would work best for you depending on what your plans and goals are with the car. Depending on what we come up with for parts I can throw a custom package together that will save you some $$$$.

Kyle
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Alright so I've been looking at suspension for my new 2014 LS3. I don't know of any suspension companies that have been able to check fitment of suspension parts on a 2014 yet. Has anybody tried upgrading the suspension on theirs yet or having any guidance as far as fitment?
There were not any changes underneath that would effect suspension fitment.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
HerRide

Drives: '14 2SS/RS AGM
Marking. Need lowering springs here as well....
Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRide View Post
Marking. Need lowering springs here as well....
Any of our BMR lowering springs will work perfectly for you on your 2014 SS. We have our BMR 1" lowering springs (SP019), our BMR 1.4" lowering springs (SP022), and our BMR split drop 1.4" front springs/1" rear springs to allow you to get the performance and the stance you are looking for.

If there is anything we can help you out let us know.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Most things on the 2014 are the same as the 2013. The changes on the 2014 are primarily cosmetic and the engine, drivetrain and suspension stayed the same.

We offer suspension parts from just about every top name manufacturer out there and we install everything we sell. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Your goals are achievable with a modest parts list.

220032 Front Coils
220033 Rear Lowering Coils
EP1201HD Full Sub-frame Bushings
EP6577 Radius Bushings
1le / ZL1 OEM Toe Links
EP7265Z Steel Jacketed urethane bushings for the trailing arm and the rear knuckle
Z bars 27mm front and 32mm Rear
HW-CAM-FULL-ADJ-KIT Full alignment bolt kit for Caster, Camber and Toe

Many of the things that worked on older Camaros don't work on the 5th Gen Camaro. As you read through this you'll see why.

Is your 5th Gen structurally sound? Take a close look at these crash test videos.

Watch the engine move while the front sub-frame remains almost stationary at 14 Seconds

The front sub-frame mounts with six bolts and two locating pins. There are no rubber bushes. The front sub-frame connects well forward and well behind the front ‘axle’ for strength and stability. As you could see in the frontal impact video the engine was moving backwards from the impact (at roughly 14 seconds), but the front sub-frame remained well located. When GM designed the Camaro they built it well, very well. It was engineered to have an exceptionally strong monocoque. A solid monocoque translates into a higher perception of quality while enhancing performance and function. In the following series of pictures you can see how the 5th Gen Camaro has numerous 'chassis braces' built in at the factory using state-of the art design in the form of shape, construction and materials --

High-strength low-alloy (HSLA) steel is a type of alloy steel that provides better mechanical properties or greater resistance to corrosion than carbon steel. HSLA steels vary from other steels in that they aren't made to meet a specific chemical composition, but rather to specific mechanical properties. They have a carbon content between 0.05–0.25% to retain formability and weldability. Other alloying elements include up to 2.0% manganese and small quantities of copper, nickel, niobium, nitrogen, vanadium, chromium, molybdenum, titanium, calcium, rare earth elements, or zirconium.[1][2] Copper, titanium, vanadium, and niobium are added for strengthening purposes.[2] These elements are intended to alter the microstructure of carbon steels, which is usually a ferrite-pearlite aggregate, to produce a very fine dispersion of alloy carbides in an almost pure ferrite matrix. This eliminates the toughness-reducing effect of a pearlitic volume fraction, yet maintains and increases the material's strength by refining the grain size, which in the case of ferrite increases yield strength by 50% for every halving of the mean grain diameter. Precipitation strengthening plays a minor role, too. Their yield strengths can be anywhere between 250–590 megapascals (36,000–86,000 psi). Due to their higher strength and toughness HSLA steels usually require 25 to 30% more power to form, as compared to carbon steels

Martensitic Ultra High Strength Steel Maraging steels (a portmanteau of martensitic and aging) are iron alloys which are known for possessing superior strength and toughness without losing malleability, although they cannot hold a good cutting edge. 'Aging' refers to the extended heat-treatment process. These steels are a special class of low-carbon ultra-high-strength steels which derive their strength not from carbon, but from precipitation of inter-metallic compounds. The principal alloying element is 15 to 25% nickel.[1] Secondary alloying elements are added to produce intermetallic precipitates, which include cobalt, molybdenum, and titanium.

Photos originally posted 11.11.2008 by aston70

Do you need a strut tower bar? Many assume they do. The brace was and is necessary when the roof is cut off. That is why TEAM Camaro designed and install the brace installing the Vert. The brace installed on the ZL1 indirectly for NVH. The STB cleaned up some 'noise' on the sensors used to fine tune the MRC. The STB looks cool so it is part of the 1LE package.

It would deny the obvious to say the OE STB does nothing. It does add structure to an already robust monocoque. The is zero data available that documents any gain in handling or lap times. None.

Stress Tester

Simons has discovered slipping suspension-member attachments and steering linkages sending false signals to the driver. Once, a race car’s control arm collapsed when subjected to normal cornering loads. His K&C machine has helped teams determine why one race car responds quickly to setup adjustments even as its identically constructed stablemate is a cranky handful. Simons adds that he’s never seen an aftermarket strut-tower brace provide a measurable handling benefit.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
HerRide

Drives: '14 2SS/RS AGM
Great - thanks for the info, guys.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Thanks for all the responses guys, I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. I love how this forum is a gold-mine as far as technical information about the 5th gens.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #12
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys, I figured as much but just wanted to make sure. I love how this forum is a gold-mine as far as technical information about the 5th gens.
The Jumpmaster did the same as this PJ - got an exhaust and tune on a 2014.

Americans sleep easy at night knowing there are men of honor who stand ready to commit violent acts to preserve the safety od their fellow Americans.

I ran the pipeline 1975-1976 and earned my maroon beret about the time I started having chronic sinusitis from exposure to toxic chemicals. I know I'm nuts because I actually enjoyed Superman School. For the first time in my life, I was doing something meaningful.

PJ - "That Others May Live"