Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
BigV

Drives: 2013 1LT AGM
Daily driver mods?

Hi all. I'm picking up a CPO 2013 1LT this afternoon and wanted this community's opinions on daily driver mods. As I mentioned in my new member intro, I'm not looking to track or race my car, but to make it look, sound, and perform well for what I want to do with it; which is have a good looking and solidly performing daily driver. Most mod suggestions on this board point to a CAI, usually by CAI as the first mod for the car, along with some sort exhaust (axle or cat back, for better sound), as these would be the only real performance mods, save a catch can, that I would be considering given my intentions, are these performance mods really necessary; and will I notice a huge difference in performance if I make them?

Lastly, anyone know how Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana is on warranty work if I make the mods listed above?
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
rsv07

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hi all. I'm picking up a CPO 2013 1LT this afternoon and wanted this community's opinions on daily driver mods. As I mentioned in my new member intro, I'm not looking to track or race my car, but to make it look, sound, and perform well for what I want to do with it; which is have a good looking and solidly performing daily driver. Most mod suggestions on this board point to a CAI, usually by CAI as the first mod for the car, along with some sort exhaust (axle or cat back, for better sound), as these would be the only real performance mods, save a catch can, that I would be considering given my intentions, are these performance mods really necessary; and will I notice a huge difference in performance if I make them?

Lastly, anyone know how Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana is on warranty work if I make the mods listed above?
None of the above will void your warranty.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
BigV

Drives: 2013 1LT AGM
That's good to know and what I figured based upon past posts. Do you think I'll notice the improvements enough to validate the cost? Or would I be better off concentrating on aesthetics first (I know it's a personal preference kind of thing, but never having modded a car before, I'm not sure).
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
rsv07

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
I thought the same thing initially. The CAI was immediately noticeable. Maybe not so much in the butt dyno (mine may not be calibrated correctly though ), but certainly in the sound.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
That's good to know and what I figured based upon past posts. Do you think I'll notice the improvements enough to validate the cost? Or would I be better off concentrating on aesthetics first (I know it's a personal preference kind of thing, but never having modded a car before, I'm not sure).
I'm doing a mix of the both. I also have a V6 DD and love it. Mine is black, so I tinted the windows to 15%, blacked out all the emblems, plasti dipped the tail light bezels and smoked out the exterior lights (excepted head lights) with a smoke vinyl. Everything you can still see through just fine when lights are on (brake lights for example).

Also ordered CAI from CAI and will be doing MRT v.2 exhaust but that will most likely be the extent of my "performance" mods until my warranty is up..

I am going to get a front spltter and some side rockers, little update to factory sound and some interior lighting. Nothing too crazy and "cheaper" mods.

One thing I am looking at is getting a matte black vinyl wrap for my hood.
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Mine's my DD, and I plan to do:

*CAI
*Axel back exhaust
*Ported TB
*Catch can/breather (done already)

Plus a bunch of cosmetic stuff...
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Intake.
Exhaust.
Catch Can-right away!!
Synthetic oil in diff.
Same in transmission (if you were cool enough to get the manual.)
Tint those windows!!

Those are damn good starts. The dealer will tear a hole thru your wallet, find a reputable shop if you can to ease the pain. Also realize you probably ALREADY know more about your car than most dealer service advisers. Or more bluntly: most are total idiots. Go in there armed with knowledge, your best friend!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Intake.
Exhaust.
Catch Can-right away!!
Synthetic oil in diff.
Same in transmission (if you were cool enough to get the manual.)
Tint those windows!!

Those are damn good starts. The dealer will tear a hole thru your wallet, find a reputable shop if you can to ease the pain. Also realize you probably ALREADY know more about your car than most dealer service advisers. Or more bluntly: most are total idiots. Go in there armed with knowledge, your best friend!
I still want to get a catch can. I only have about 800 miles, but have read on here people get a weird "hissing" noise after install?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Only if its installed wrong. Its literally a 15 minute install. SO EASY. When you do your first oil change and drain a couple ounces of black goo out of it that otherwise WOULD have go thru your intake you will be SO glad you got one.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Only if its installed wrong. Its literally a 15 minute install. SO EASY. When you do your first oil change and drain a couple ounces of black goo out of it that otherwise WOULD have go thru your intake you will be SO glad you got one.
Really? Which one do you have? It looked a little more in depth with cutting tubes and stuff, wouldn't want to mess anything up.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
TwentyTen2SSRS

Also, does this void your warranty? I get free oil changes at the dealership I bought my car from, so on my first oil change they will see the can, and hoping that owoukdn't void my warranty or oil changes..
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I have a CAI on my DD and I love it! I think that it is a great one to start with
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Start with a PTB. So amazing I don't even want a CAI now.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
Start with a PTB. So amazing I don't even want a CAI now.
except that voids your warranty if I remember correctly..