Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
I think for now I am going to let it go. If I get another warning, or if the warning turns into a court hearing or something I will find another route. From the people I have talked to, these warnings are just an excuse for the cop to check out your car.
dmwhiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
dmwhiteman

Sorry to not have updated in a while.

In December I recieved a citation and a summons for not responding to the warning issued by the officer. I responded "Not Guilty" and sent no money for collateral. My hearing date is set for tomorrow.

After speaking with an attorney I feel very confident in defending my self. The law:

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

The key word in this is OR. My windshield is unrestricted and you can see through the side wing and windows. Not 100% but the seats and a shape of a body can be seen. My other defense is this happened at night with my windows down.

Also the law does not state a specific % is legal/illegal.

What do you all think? I feel I have a good shot at getting off.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
dmwhiteman

Sorry to not have updated in a while.

In December I recieved a citation and a summons for not responding to the warning issued by the officer. I responded "Not Guilty" and sent no money for collateral. My hearing date is set for tomorrow.

After speaking with an attorney I feel very confident in defending my self. The law:

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

The key word in this is OR. My windshield is unrestricted and you can see through the side wing and windows. Not 100% but the seats and a shape of a body can be seen. My other defense is this happened at night with my windows down.

Also, the law doesnt state a % to be legal/illegal

What do you all think? I feel I have a good shot at getting off.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Let's get somethting established first. Did you buy the car new or used. If you bought it new, the dealer wouldn't tint the windows without you paying for it. If it was used, then the previous owner had it done. If it is tinted that the officer noticed it, I don't think you have a case. If it isn't tinted then you will win.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #19
dmwhiteman

It is not factory tint. My attorney seems to think I have a case since you can still see through all of the windows during the day.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #20
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Your spending more money on an attorney than it would be to take it off and then get it put back on.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
coolman

This is very interesting. I've been wondering how some people seem to get away with some very dark looking tint in PA. They have us brainwashed in to thinking it 70% or higher.

http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/legal.html

Edit: I hope you beat it.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
dmwhiteman

VICTORY!!! Tint stays on, no fine. Thankfully the judge is a car guy! He couldnt understand why a car with 600 previous miles on it would have aftermarket tint and it must be a "special" car.

Even though I lucked out and got a cool judge, I did a lot of research and had help picking apart the laws.

This site has a TON of excellent info. Everyone who has any aftermarket tint should give it a good read.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwhiteman View Post
VICTORY!!! Tint stays on, no fine. Thankfully the judge is a car guy! He couldnt understand why a car with 600 previous miles on it would have aftermarket tint and it must be a "special" car.

Even though I lucked out and got a cool judge, I did a lot of research and had help picking apart the laws.

This site has a TON of excellent info. Everyone who has any aftermarket tint should give it a good read.
Great! Way to stick to your guns and sticking it to the man.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
PSP-SS

Drives: 11 Tahoe LTZ, 10 Camaro 2SS-THR #12
"material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle" is defined in the inspection manual. If you read it you'll see you are actually guilty if you have tint. Also your link doesn't show Table X(10) which clearly defines the 70% requirement. Also 4107 of PAVC allows police to enforce the inspection manual. So 4524E is just one section for tint enforcement.
PSP-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #25
egp

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I am scheduled to get my windows tinted, and came across this website from the PA attorney general,

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=295

Seems to be pretty clear,

1. Any side wing or any side window must allow at least 70% of transmitted light to pass through the window, or an amount of light greater than or equal to the window's light transmittance percentage at the time of manufacture.

2. The Pennsylvania Vehicle Code does not apply to vehicles with windows tinted by the manufacturer. Federal law regulates manufacturers.

3. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards prohibit tinting of passenger vehicle windshields and front windows where light transmittance is reduced below 70%, just as in Pennsylvania.

And, the installer can face a fine of $1000/installation. With this kind of penalty, I'm surprised that anyone would install aftermarket tint in the state.
egp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #26
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
As sketchy as it sounds; with my tinter (and I'm guessing other tinters do this too), he wouldn't put illegal tint on the car unless you paid in cash. VA has a similar set up with the tint shop getting fined and what not.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I'm thinking of putting on tint on my SS, but I don't want to get busted. Inferno orange on a Camaro doesn't help either I wonder if 35% would be too dark and I'd be asking for trouble.
JacekPSUr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #28
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
i have 35% and i pass cops and they dont bother me
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote