Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Question, did GM share tech with Ferrari

So I have a couple questions...

1. Did GM help develop Carbon Ceramic Brakes (that's standard on every Ferrari today) with Brembo and the SGL group.

2. The magnetic ride suspension (or something similar) that the 599GTB uses, did GM give that tech. to Ferrari or they got it from Delphi ?

The reason I ask is because I got in a debated topic over Ferrari and the ZR1 .... think you guys know where I'm going with this

And I used the whole "Ferrari uses some of GM's tech" as part if my argument and got laugh at lol and I know for sure that it was a topic on Camaro5 about this some months back and I can't find this ... so I thought I ask

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, the first carbon ceramic brakes were used by Porsche in 2000/2001 in the 911 gt2. This is just based on my memory, but I believe it's right. As far as the magnetic suspension, I'm really not sure where that originated, but Maserati and Ferrari have been using it for a while, but so have many others.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
I seriously doubt that GM invented Ceramic brakes or Magnetic Ride Suspension. I will say I am more sure of GM not inventing Ceramic brakes than magnetic ride suspension but I could be wrong on both.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
I might have to do more digging but i am pretty sure that magnetic ride is licensed from GM. The brakes I would highly doubt.

Edit: From Wikipedia

"GM is the origin company of this technology as applied to automobiles. Many other companies have paid for the use of it in their own vehicles. As of 2007, BMW manufactures cars using their own proprietary version of this device, while Audi and Ferrari offer the MagneRide on various models. All Corvettes made since 2005 have also employed a dynamic MR suspension system."
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Actually it looks like GM and Delphi developed the tech for Magnetic Suspension. So I stand corrected on that.

It does look like ceramic brakes were first developed in 88 for the railway industry by some Brits.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
I seriously doubt that GM invented Ceramic brakes or Magnetic Ride Suspension. I will say I am more sure of GM not inventing Ceramic brakes than magnetic ride suspension but I could be wrong on both.
I didn't say invent... truth be told Carbon brakes be around since the late 70's I believe

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Actually it looks like GM and Delphi developed the tech for Magnetic Suspension. So I stand corrected on that.

It does look like ceramic brakes were first developed in 88 for the railway industry by some Brits.
May I ask where did you get this info ?

Quote:
Old 04-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I didn't say invent... truth be told Carbon brakes be around since the late 70's I believe
So, what's the difference between developing and inventing...?

Auto manufacturers license patents from each other like crazy. The Nissan GTR's 3.7 uses "plasma transferred wire arc" instead of traditional cylinder liners to increase rigidity of the cylinder and make it capable of holding that massive power it can while dropping some hella weight... This tech was invented, patented and licensed from Ford and is also used in the 2011 GT500. Just an example.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Carbon Ceramic brakes have been used on race cars for many years, they were just impractical in their racing form for street use until more recent years. The technology behind them has reduced in cost, and they don't have to be hot as hell to work.

As for Magnetic Shocks, they were developed by Delphi while it was still owned by GM.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Delphi press release for MagneRide on the Audi R8 and TT.

http://delphi.com/news/pressReleases...006_11_30_001/

I like how now when you search for Magnetic Ride Delphi Ferrari this thread is number 4

Edit: http://www.nextautos.com/issue-14/te...ic-personality

"Quick! For one million dollars, name the single part that’s shared by the Cadillac XLR, Chevrolet Corvette (F55 or ZR1), Acura MDX, Ferrari 599, and Audi TT! Stumped? Well, it’s the shock absorbers.

Since 2002, the suspension division at Delphi has been refining and expanding its line of magnetic rheological shock absorbers (MRSAs)"
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

I wonder how much the license is for other automakers to use tha tech

I know Windows 7 is a jip.. even thou it's great

Quote:
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I wonder how much the license is for other automakers to use tha tech

I know Windows 7 is a jip.. even thou it's great
Depending on the application, maybe millions, maybe $50,000.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It was essentially a trade. GM got the brakes from the Enzo and some other car (FXX?) for use on the ZR1 in exchange letting Ferrari use GM's magnetorheological suspension developed for the ZR1 and CTS-V.

If I remember correctly, it is the front brakes from the Enzo serving as the rear brakes for the ZR1, with the front brakes from the other car as the ZR1's fronts.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #14
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
ferarris brakes for zr1 suspension somethuing along those lines
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote