Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
ZL1 / CTS-V Brakes

JPSS is committed to being a strong supporting member of the 5th gen community. When we needed a brake upgrade for our Camaro we looked everywhere and came right back to the GM parts bin. It took a while, but we sorted it out and found what we believe to be the most cost effective and perhaps best brake solution for the Camaro. If I ran GM -- and I don't I know what I would do for better Camaro brakes. I would use THE CADILLAC OF BRAKES for the Camaro -- CTS-V BRAKES.

These are the same brakes that set a record on the Ring with John Heinricy behind the wheel of s CTS-V as the fastest production sedan to run the ring.

The CTS-V is a bit heavier than the Camaro making the setup PERFECT. This is a bolt on project that requires only the front dust shield be trimmed to fit the over-sized six piston front caliper. Everything is performance / track ready to go. The pads are perfect out of the box. They are also Cadillac quiet. The front calipers do require different bolts. All the parts are supposed to be available front the GM parts bin, but we did have some delays in collecting everything we needed. Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders did a great job of getting all the bits pulled together for me.

This is a HUGE upgrade for the Camaro. Take a close look at the calipers and pads. The superior clamping from six pistons combined with a much larger pad and rotor work to PERFECTION with the master cylinder and computer.

The rotors are very different up front. These are dual cast from Brembo with an aluminum hat / center and iron rotor. Even though the new Cadillac rotors are larger and thicker, they weigh the same as the OEM SS Camaro rotors.

Trimming the front dust shield was straight forward. How can any modification (unless it is Pedders made to fit just like the OEM bits we replace) be complete without sparks from a cutting wheel?

The brake upgrade is 100% OEM CTS-V with the exception of Pedders Camaro Brake Lines. You can see our brake lines fit and mount just like OEM. Why is Pedders doing brake lines for the 2010 Camaro? Great question. When we built our Camaro we couldn't find them in the aftermarket so we took matters into our own hands. PDUSACAM2800 https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...0&Featured=Yes

The rear Cadillac CTS-V caliper is the same as the Camaro SS rear caliper. The only difference is color. We did try to rear CTS-V and found the hat offset is a bit different, but the OEM Camaro SS rotor is a perfect match.

Here they are, THE Cadillac of Brakes of the 2010 Camaro.

Rear Before

Rear After

Front Before

Front After

When you do a conversion like this it is critical that the entire brake system be bled including the ABD computer. We connected the new USB based GM scan tool and could not find a full bleed program. We connected a Tech I scan tool, selected 2010 Corvette and found a functional solution. With everything completed we did on more safety check and went out for a road test. Working with Witt Buick Pedders means we have access to everything we need including a 'private' area to bed the brakes. 60 to 20, 80 to 20 and 100 to 20 and the brakes are bedded.

How do they feel -- jut like a Cadillac CTS-V. Are they better than the SS brakes -- OH YEAH!!! Now the tough question, how do you get a set. We are posting this for the benefit of the Camaro community. Witt Buick Pedders put in a tremendous amount of effort to secure all the bits and do the install. Little things like finding the right way to bleed the brakes take a lot of time. The rear rotors from the CTS-V don't fit and son on. They have earned the right to at least have the opportunity to make a parts sale.

Keeping the community in mind, you already know that a complete set of CTS-V brakes will fit and what you need to order short of the parts list. Your creative and can source that on the Internet. If you would like to order a turn key kit you can call Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders (231) 722-3771 for $3,400 including the Pedders SS lines.

Last edited by JusticePete; 06-05-2017 at 08:45 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
The Z/28 will be using the CTS-V power train so I'd imagine that the brake setup would be carried over as well.

Last edited by Milk 1027; 03-16-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: quoted giant post
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Great article!

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
thank you for posting this.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Ron@Vengeance

Drives: 2013 Artic White GrandSport
Excellent write up Pete!!!
Ron@Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
will the cts v calipers fit the stock ss front rotors reason i ask is i already have the racing brake front 2 piece rotors
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
will the cts v calipers fit the stock ss front rotors reason i ask is i already have the racing brake front 2 piece rotors
No sir. The front caliper on the Camaro is smaller.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Great looking stuff, but aren't the stock SS brakes are more than adequate, I mean other than some different pad that don't dust as much the 4 piston Brembo's are great. I will however may change the rotors to some cross drilled versions.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Wow this is sweet is this avalible now for the SS Camaro and do you have IOM brake lines??????
Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Great looking stuff, but aren't the stock SS brakes are more than adequate, I mean other than some different pad that don't dust as much the 4 piston Brembo's are great. I will however may change the rotors to some cross drilled versions.
The OEM SS calipers are very good on an OEM Camaro. Many of us upgrade wheels and tires. Others choose upgrade suspension. Many increase RWHP. Some (like me) do them all and then the OEM brakes are not enough. My Camaro professional drivers never asked me for more RWHP. They all asked for full race slicks and more brakes.

A box stock 5th Gen is an very good automobile. With a a tweak here and there they become VERY GOOD AUTOMOBILES.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Wow, great writeup!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
and the bigger front calipers will clear oem 20 inch rims?
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElManny View Post
and the bigger front calipers will clear oem 20 inch rims?
Yes. My wheels are Forgeline 10.5x19 with Bridgestone RE-11 305/30s all around.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
Wow this is sweet is this avalible now for the SS Camaro and do you have IOM brake lines??????
Sorry only in Pedders RED.