Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #29
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
A wheel alignment has nothing to do with the problem being described. A wheel alignment can fix a problem as in if you're driving straight down the road and your steering wheel is off center. I've owned other cars where it was more obvious than the Camaro. It's just one of those things!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #30
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down 11 View Post
I mentioned my wheel was off alignment when I brought it in for the recalls. I sat in another SS they had on the lot and it was also off. The right side is closer than the left. Their response was "that's just they way it is" and nothing they can do about it. Something about how the steering column is welded and there is no adjustments.
Obviously dealers have a way sometimes to make stuff up. In this case this is a widespread issue that is easily dismissed because the car can still be driven safely. However there is no excuse for this issue that can be justified. If it is a problem that the majority of Camaro's are having from the factory and GM knows about it, then at the very least the dealers should be given a bulletin on how to fix the problem for those cars leaving the factory with the issue. If GM is unaware of the problem, then the dealers or this forum can help get the message out since it is more than a couple people I presume. I hope we get some info about this soon. If the dealer has some inside info and heard form GM that the steering column is welded and there are no adjustments, then we need to verify this info from Gm and find out what they can do to fix the problem.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #31
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
Was there ever a fix for this issue? OR is it pretty much normal (it appears to be). Doesn't really bother me much....and I would have never noticed it except for reading this message board.
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #32
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
They are all like that. So are the trucks. My 09 Silverado has the same off angle column, so did my 06, 03, 01... Not sure why the engineers can't bring the column straight back, but apparently there is a reason. Maybe the top cheese in charge of steering columns has a shorter right arm.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
And to further aggrivate it, if you did figure out a way to straighten the column out, your gauges would no longer be centered in your view through the wheel. The gauges are off center to match the column off centeredness.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #34
IOM-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 2G1FT1EWXA9163596
when

Dynabyte,

when did you purchase your Camaro what is the VIN # good luck.
IOM-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #35
scifisteve

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Just got my 2LT RS and the steering wheel is off straight steering is just off to the left. goes down the road straight but wheel is off.
Dealer said they would fix when I get the stripes on tomorrow.
They told me some times they mess up the allignment when the ship them?
scifisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #36
IOM-SS

Smile taking

I will be taking my Camaro in Monday February 15th 2010 for unscheduled maintenance have them check the steering wheel. I have read that NASCAR vehicles are set up like this? "go straight turn left" is the Camaro like this. Has Chevrolet issued a service bulletin about this?

if there is any information that is incorrect please do not hesitate to alert me.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #37
Chip

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS '96 riv
according to my regional GM trainer this is intentional as it points the driver more towards the center of the vehicle for spirited driving. but all of them are like that, it's not broken or a manufacturing flaw. it is in fact intentional.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #38
Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno-Orange-Metallic View Post
I will be taking my Camaro in Monday February 15th 2010 for unscheduled maintenance have them check the steering wheel. I have read that NASCAR vehicles are set up like this? "go straight turn left" is the Camaro like this. Has Chevrolet issued a service bulletin about this?

if there is any information that is incorrect please do not hesitate to alert me.
a lot of racecars are setup simular to this, Nascar to Rally.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #39
IOM-SS

Smile thank

Chip,
thank you for the verification about this remember reading this somewhere cannot remember where "i am having a senior moment"

when my neighbor sat in the Camaro he mentioned that the steering wheel was off center like a race car i believe Chevrolet set it up this way. still learning about this amazing car.

Inferno-Orange-Metallic soon to be SS IOM or yes i am ordered the plates Monday Auto Club
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #40
IOM-SS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
Nope - when I went to the dealer, they also stated that it was just the way it is. I noticed another thread posted about this now - I'd be really happy to hear if there is a fix for it. Doesn't seem like a standard tire alignment would do the trick tho - those adjustments are at the wheels and shoudn't touch the steering column mount points. But who knows - I will inquire again on my next trip to the dealer.
if it is not pulling either to the left or right would leave alone.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #41
Chip

Quote:
Chip,
thank you for the verification about this remember reading this somewhere cannot remember where "i am having a senior moment"

when my neighbor sat in the Camaro he mentioned that the steering wheel was off center like a race car i believe Chevrolet set it up this way. still learning about this amazing car.

Inferno-Orange-Metallic soon to be SS IOM or yes i am ordered the plates Monday Auto Club
no problem bud, beautiful car btw.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Quote:
Dynabyte,

when did you purchase your Camaro what is the VIN # good luck.
Hello - didn't realize there was activity on this thread again so sorry for the delayed response. My vin number is an early one (#3589) and it was purchased in June '09.

Looking in the compartment when I installed my cai, it doesn't look like it can be adjusted anywhere. I've gotten used to it so far