Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Not entirely true.

Last fall I had a cam swap done on the car. During the winter and into the early spring while it sat in storage i notice a small coolant leak. Last spring I brought it into the dealership and showed them where it was leaking from thinking I might need a new line installed since the car sits so much. Come to find out my oil cooler line fitting was cross threaded to the engine block from the factory. GM stated that although I had modified my engine and tuned the car they understood that none of my mods had nothing to do with why it was leaking coolant. Which there is a TSB on this issue. GM paid for the cost of a new engine block and the labor to remove old engine and install new engine.
Great example of Magnuson-Moss in action.

Just curious though, what happened to the cam? Also, did you have to retune the car to run the replacement engine, or how did that work? Like I said, I'm simply curious, but it could be helpful to some down the road.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Great example of Magnuson-Moss in action.

Just curious though, what happened to the cam? Also, did you have to retune the car to run the replacement engine, or how did that work? Like I said, I'm simply curious, but it could be helpful to some down the road.
So basically I had to pay for the labor of putting all my upgraded parts (in sig) into the new block which I wasn't happy about but oh well. I talked to Rhino79 and he said that I shouldn't need to retune the vehicle, but I could data log and send them to him if I wanted too.

Also to save them time and save me money, I had them take the heads off the old engine and put them on to the new block so they wouldn't have to change out the seat, locks, retainers, valve springs, and rocker arms with the trunion upgrade.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #17
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
To the OP: I had my oil pan gasket replaced under warranty on my stock 2010 SS a month before my 5 years was up.
If I had done a tune I believe it might have cost me up to $2,000.00........ You decide.

Tags
mod, warranty