Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
Do you think that '93 Indy 500 Camaro has 500HP or 500ci?
The the number 500 is not known as a famous engine displacement but is better known as a race length, and with the word Indy preceeding it, almost anyone in the US will associated the '93 Indy 500 Camaro as being accosiated with the Indianapolis 500 race.

When someone hears the words Shelby, the first thing that will come to their mind are types of cars not a race, and for most people, Mustangs. When someone hears 427, they will almost always think of a 427 c.i. V8 engine that is known to have a large amount of power, not a race length.

While the badge does represent the race which is called Shelby 427, the word and the number get their origins from the famous correlations with Shelby performance and the famous engine displacement of 427 c.i. which is known for power. Even when I saw that the package was named after the race, I still assumed that the engine was going to actually be a 427 until I read that it wasn't.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #30
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
dont be so hard on him. im sure he is just upset that 427 doesnt mean what it used to.
Yup. It means something even better these days. Z06! When I think Cobra I think 429 anyway.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #31
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Can you read or do you just cherry pick the info to suit your bias. It's an events related badge package,basically a pace car type package to PROMOTE the race. It's called marketing,i didn't say it wasn't lame,but it is what it is,a EVENTS RELATED package to a race called the SHELBY 427,which comes with a badge and tickets and other benefits for THE RACE,get it? What kind of idiot do you think is going to see this decal gimmick and think it's got a 427 under the hood? EVENTS RELATED package,it's not Roush slapping a 428 sticker on his for no reason,it's a LAME MARKETING EVENT PROMOTION......duh,get a life. A real enthusiast wouldn't just see a 427 sticker and get excited and especially a Shelby enthusiast,we would know what it is,another Shelby moneymaking scheme.
Only somebody like a ignorant Impreza owner would just see a 427 sticker and get excited. Do you think that '93 Indy 500 Camaro has 500HP or 500ci?
I don't have nearly as strong a bias as you do. 427 is a famous displacement. 500 is not a famous displacement. The name of the car is clearly Shelby 427, which suggests performance since Shelby is a performance brand. It suggests that Shelby shoehorned a 427 into a Mustang. This could not be further from the truth. If this was anything more than a publicity stunt to draw attention to the Mustang, it would say NASCAR 427-mile Shelby or something else denoting the race, not the car. The focus of the title is on the car, not the race, so it is clear that the race is just an excuse to make another excessively publicized, underperforming, and vastly overpriced Mustang. Ford has effectively sold out.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Can you read or do you just cherry pick the info to suit your bias. It's an events related badge package,basically a pace car type package to PROMOTE the race. It's called marketing,i didn't say it wasn't lame,but it is what it is,a EVENTS RELATED package to a race called the SHELBY 427,which comes with a badge and tickets and other benefits for THE RACE,get it? What kind of idiot do you think is going to see this decal gimmick and think it's got a 427 under the hood? EVENTS RELATED package,it's not Roush slapping a 428 sticker on his for no reason,it's a LAME MARKETING EVENT PROMOTION......duh,get a life. A real enthusiast wouldn't just see a 427 sticker and get excited and especially a Shelby enthusiast,we would know what it is,another Shelby moneymaking scheme.
Only somebody like a ignorant Impreza owner would just see a 427 sticker and get excited. Do you think that '93 Indy 500 Camaro has 500HP or 500ci?
The race is being lengthened to suit the name. Nascar races rarely have an arbitrary length: 400 miles, 500 miles, 500 laps, etc. notable exceptions are the road courses that they run. This will be a 427 mile, 285 lap race.
Quote:
The race will actually be lengthened to 427 miles and will be called the 'Shelby 427
Also, I don't think that anyone will be fooled into thinking that it will have a 427. Its more about the fact that if you see Shelby's name on a car, and its called a 427, the first thought that almost anyone has is that it should have a 427 cu engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #33
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Wait, a Mustang with an appearence package without any functional mods to back it up? Noooooooo! : P
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #34
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
First you admit to liking to wear dresses, then you poop and pee your pants, Kevin...I think you need to see a doctor.

I've never associated the 427 to anything but Chevy. I always thought of 'Vettes or 427 Camaro.
I have my problems
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #35
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
Wait, a Mustang with another appearence package without any functional mods to back it up? Noooooooo! : P
I corrected it for you.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #36
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I corrected it for you.

thanks
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #37
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I still don't understand how "Ford" let the original poster down. If anything, Shelby let him.her down.

The hate is strong in this thread.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #38
kevin2323

ford makes shelby packaged cars....shelby has let me down with the gt500 and now this. Ford has let me down for letting them do this. can you not see the connection?

geez it is pretty damn simple
Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #39
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
ford makes shelby packaged cars....shelby has let me down with the gt500 and now this. Ford has let me down for letting them do this. can you not see the connection?

geez it is pretty damn simple
Hey, do a little bit of research after you get off the school bus each day and then get back with me next week on what Ford makes and what Shelby Automobiles does.

I was incorrect. The hate is not strong in this thread, the ignorance is.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #40
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
in the words of a very smart man;

BRING IT ON PONY BOY!!!!
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #41
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Hey, do a little bit of research after you get off the school bus each day and then get back with me next week on what Ford makes and what Shelby Automobiles does.

I was incorrect. The hate is not strong in this thread, the ignorance is.
lol the fanboy lies deep within you young one.

I am not getting into this again because I already did somewhere else on the forum. Your car isnt a REAL shelby, it is a badged ford mustang with a supercharger. If you cant come to that realization then you need to get back on the schoolbus and learn something from school. GTKR is a different story. But shelby gt500? nice banking for ford and shelby. You understand now? did you learn something? because it is very very simple. FORD makes the mustang then allows shelby to badge it and call it a shelby gt500 so ford can actually sell the damn thing. THAT is why I am disappointed in ford for allowing this. Just like they allowed another badged mustang to go for sale.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #42
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
lol the fanboy lies deep within you young one.

I am not getting into this again because I already did somewhere else on the forum. Your car isnt a REAL shelby, it is a badged ford mustang with a supercharger. If you cant come to that realization then you need to get back on the schoolbus and learn something from school. GTKR is a different story. But shelby gt500? nice banking for ford and shelby. You understand now? did you learn something? because it is very very simple. FORD makes the mustang then allows shelby to badge it and call it a shelby gt500 so ford can actually sell the damn thing. THAT is why I am disappointed in ford for allowing this. Just like they allowed another badged mustang to go for sale.

Yeah, fanboy, that's me. I guess that's why I've owned almost as many GM vehicles as I have Fords. Go figure.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know about the GT500. I didn't buy it because it had Shelby's name on it. I would have bought the car had it just been badged an SVT Cobra.

Just wait, if GM manages to stay in business long enough, you guys are going to see so many variants of the Camaro it's going to make your head spin. Oh, and BTW, I plan to put an SS in the garage next to the GT500 at some point in the future, being the fan boy that I m.