Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #99
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
who joins a 2010 camaro forum, that doesnt even like anything after a 1980 camaro, he is wasting his time, and mine by reading his lame posts. He must love to get bashed.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #100
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedZ View Post
Yeah, hard to believe it's so much heavier than the Vette.... :(
I agree, the curb weight (3800lbs!?!) alone has me thinking used Vettes at this point...i was so sold on the new camaro but i don't think this guy is going to hold water versus the vette in the twisties...which is what i was hoping for. I'm not looking to spend upwards of $35k on a car that needs suspension upgrades and weight reductions. Looks are still killer and love everything else about it but i think i'm going to be disapointed during the test drive. I hope i'm wrong.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #101
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Holy crap they are like 45 minutes away, does anyone know how long ago were these pics taken?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #102
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhed View Post
I agree, the curb weight (3800lbs!?!) alone has me thinking used Vettes at this point...i was so sold on the new camaro but i don't think this guy is going to hold water versus the vette in the twisties...which is what i was hoping for. I'm not looking to spend upwards of $35k on a car that needs suspension upgrades and weight reductions. Looks are still killer and love everything else about it but i think i'm going to be disapointed during the test drive. I hope i'm wrong.
Well it may be designed to be the "poor man's Corvette", but that doesn't mean it is one. They may be made by the same company, but they're in totally different classes, and price ranges. Sorry, but I dont want space age tech on my car if it makes it that much more expensive. Example, the two have the same heart (LS3) but will differ by over $10k because of the amount of engineering that goes into the Corvette. If you are looking for 'Vette performance, buy a Corvette. If you want a reasonably priced car with Corvette similarities, buy a Camaro. If you want Corvette performance at Camaro cost, sorry, I don't know where to point you there. It is not fair or logical to expect world class competing performance in an average joe car.

I shall step off the soapbox now. Just tired of people nitpicking.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #103
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Turtle, after reading your post I had to take a second look at the brochure, I thought it was the SS as well. But after looking closer I spotted the smaller greenhouse, cut out vents, and smaller mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Well it may be designed to be the "poor man's Corvette", but that doesn't mean it is one. They may be made by the same company, but they're in totally different classes, and price ranges. Sorry, but I dont want space age tech on my car if it makes it that much more expensive. Example, the two have the same heart (LS3) but will differ by over $10k because of the amount of engineering that goes into the Corvette. If you are looking for 'Vette performance, buy a Corvette. If you want a reasonably priced car with Corvette similarities, buy a Camaro. If you want Corvette performance at Camaro cost, sorry, I don't know where to point you there. It is not fair or logical to expect world class competing performance in an average joe car.

Used corvettes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #104
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
Holy crap they are like 45 minutes away, does anyone know how long ago were these pics taken?
im pretty sure it was a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #105
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post

Good points. Let me respond by saying you can get a 2004 C5 Z06 that will probably walk the new camaro pretty well for $28-32K depending on the usual variables. Until the C6 came out, you didn't really have all the glitz and glamour options like navigation, push button start, etc.

How about a really nice used C5 (3250lb) Z06 with every bit of performance for the dollar as possilble for less money than a new SS camaro. I'm not saying that they are the same cars, they are completely different and you're right, different target market but it you start looking at the money for overall performance (not just straight), it's hard to beat a used vette. I dont care or need a back seat, so for some that is a factor.

I'm disapointed because what you call "an average joe car" is not the camaro, that can be a 350Z, Mustang, etc. The Camaro was the vehicle that Chevrolet engineers were really going to spend their time and effort on to make it right. Just sad that these days 3800lbs is the best we can do with a V-8, IRS, and 1000 air bags. It's more of an industry/safety issue rather than a GM issue.

Not nitpicking at all, i think Chevrolet did a wonderful job on the overall execution of the car but i knew the curb weight was going to be a problem given what they were starting with. Cant wait to test drive it and i hope it exceeds my expectations and end up buying one.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #106
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
i'm sorry if this is a repost, didn't have time to read the whole thing, do we not get accented calipers? i was really hoping for some red on my brembos
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #107
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
It's beautiful and glorious, as new Camaro should be.

But... excuse me for my poor knowledge or ignorance, but what're the visual differences between SS and previously revealed RS? Please explain
Tomash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #108
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomash View Post
It's beautiful and glorious, as new Camaro should be.

But... excuse me for my poor knowledge or ignorance, but what're the visual differences between SS and previously revealed RS? Please explain

SS has different front bumper, the bottom grille is bigger and there are "cheeks" on the sides. Also the SS has the mail slot.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #109
Hyperknight
Band.

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
I gotta disagree with you. I think the production car looks almost identical to the concept. If you took the 22 inch wheels that were on the concept and put them on the production car, I don't think you'd be able to tell them apart.

GM did a great job. Compare it to the concept Mustang a couple years ago for the current 05 Stang GT. The concept looked pretty good. The production version looked a lot different, and a lot cheaper. Chevy did a great job of not letting this happen with the Camaro.
Hey I remember you from LS2.com!
Hyperknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #110
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I'm disapointed because what you call "an average joe car" is not the camaro, that can be a 350Z, Mustang, etc. The Camaro was the vehicle that Chevrolet engineers were really going to spend their time and effort on to make it right. Just sad that these days 3800lbs is the best we can do with a V-8, IRS, and 1000 air bags. It's more of an industry/safety issue rather than a GM issue.
It is sad that the industry has gotten to this point. We have compacts over 3000 lbs and midzided cars pushing 4000. Safety regulations are now going to conflict with fuel economy regulations, cars will average over 3500 lbs but need to get an average of 35 mpg. Somethings gotta give.

Onto the content of your post . . . what is it that prevents the Camaro from being an 'average joe' car? And based on everything that I've seen and heard, the Chevrolet (and Holden) engineers have spent a lot of time and effort making it right: compare it to the rushed Challenger. ~4200 lbs for 425 hp and a parts bin interior. For nearly $40000, but hit the streets almost a year before the Camaro will. So 3813 lbs and 422 hp at nearly $30 000 with a unique interior for an extra few months of 'getting it right' isn't so bad of a trade off.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #111
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
nothing special , camaro dead after 1980 (IMO)

-- according to your post -- you have a "1967 V6 Camaro" --

Hmmm........we didn't BUILD a V6 in 1967.................
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #112
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Good points. Let me respond by saying you can get a 2004 C5 Z06 that will probably walk the new camaro pretty well for $28-32K depending on the usual variables. Until the C6 came out, you didn't really have all the glitz and glamour options like navigation, push button start, etc.

How about a really nice used C5 (3250lb) Z06 with every bit of performance for the dollar as possilble for less money than a new SS camaro. I'm not saying that they are the same cars, they are completely different and you're right, different target market but it you start looking at the money for overall performance (not just straight), it's hard to beat a used vette. I dont care or need a back seat, so for some that is a factor.

Not nitpicking at all, i think Chevrolet did a wonderful job on the overall execution of the car but i knew the curb weight was going to be a problem given what they were starting with. Cant wait to test drive it and i hope it exceeds my expectations and end up buying one.
My apologies, I completely forgot you were talking about a used Corvette. The only thing I meant about the bolded highlight was the price range. This is an incredibly well engineered car, but GM is going to bring it to us at a price the "average joe" can afford. If I offended you I'm sorry, but I saw you addressing the weight and I immediately felt I had to step in and defend the car I have come to love so much. Hooray for enthusiasts!

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote