Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
durbojones

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro, M6, AGM
Dealer Disclosure

I bought my Camaro in June of 2012 off the lot with 50 or so miles on it. I love the car and have nothing but great things from it. I had a ding end up in the rear quarter panel. I took it to a body shop to have repaired and the body shop called me back saying that the rear quarter panel has been painted and repaired from some form of damage previously. The body shop did say that the job performed was done very well.

Is the dealer required to disclose that when it is a brand new car? The fact that something was not 100% when I bought it really irritates me.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Philar299

Drives: 2021 Forte GT
I would think they have to tell you.. If its dinged up or something.. i dont consider it new.

Just like how a dealer tried to sell me a "new" camaro that was driven around by the vice president and had 500 kms on it...

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Philar299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
They must disclose any damage and repairs performed.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
But...at this point....it's been so long, how could you prove to GM that this happened in the hands of the dealer?
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
Depends on the dollar amount of the damage. If it's under a certain amount I believe the dealer doesn't have to disclose it to the customer. Think of light hail damage that was pulled out or something of that sort. The question is if you never noticed it in the first place why does it matter?

OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Sometimes cars even at the factory will have slight imperfections in the bodywork or paint and have to be corrected before they leave the factory. It may not have been a dealer repair and the dealer may not have even known about it. After this long it would be hard to prove one way or another.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Disclosing Car Damage

You’re buying a car, but you’re worried that it may have been damaged in the past. Learn what sellers are supposed to tell you about damage to a car they’re selling.

New Cars
  • Dealers are required to disclose in writing any damage and repair that exceeds five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price before you enter into a contract.

• Dealers are not required to disclose any damage to glass, tires or bumpers if the damaged item has been replaced with original or comparable equipment.

• If a new car has been repaired for damages that do not exceed five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, then the dealer does not have to tell you about the damage unless you ask.

• If a new car has been damaged more than the five percent threshold, the North Carolina Automobile Dealer’s Association recommends that its dealers disclose it in writing on company letterhead. A copy of this disclosure should be submitted along with the title to the Division of Motor Vehicles.

Used Cars

• For used cars less than five years old, the seller must disclose damage of more that 25 percent of the car’s fair market value to the buyer in writing.

• If a car has been salvaged, that information must be disclosed in writing before the car is sold. A vehicle is considered salvaged if it has been damaged to the extent that repairs to make it safe enough to drive would exceed 75 percent of its fair market value. This applies whether or not the car has been declared totaled by an insurer.

• If a car has been damaged during a flood, this information must be disclosed in writing before the car is sold. A flood vehicle is one that has been submerged or partially submerged in water causing damage to the body, engine or transmission.

• If a car has been rebuilt, this must be disclosed in writing before the car is sold. A vehicle is considered reconstructed if essential parts have been removed, added or substituted.

• These disclosure requirements apply to anyone selling a car, including individual sellers and dealerships.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
You buy used?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
durbojones

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro, M6, AGM
I bought the car new with about 50 miles on the odometer. I figure after two years it would be a long shot. It just really irritates me that I am finding out about this now. I love the car and have zero complaints. I guess I am irritated at the fact that I am a repeat customer with the dealer and have been nothing but happy with both the sales and service department. This taints all what I have thought about the dealer.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by durbojones View Post
I bought the car new with about 50 miles on the odometer. I figure after two years it would be a long shot. It just really irritates me that I am finding out about this now. I love the car and have zero complaints. I guess I am irritated at the fact that I am a repeat customer with the dealer and have been nothing but happy with both the sales and service department. This taints all what I have thought about the dealer.
Again the dealer might not have known about the repair, sometimes they get damaged at the factory and have to be reworked before they are shipped.
When I toured the corvette factory as few years ago we saw the final inspection area that they said if they find any defect it is sent to their rework area for repair of any defects.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
If you've had the car this long and never knew it and didn't have any problems, who cares? Drive on, be happy.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I am to say Angrybird 12 is right. I know for a fact that gm does reair and repaint the cars. I work for a gm assembly plant for the last 4years that was there. I job was to repair any paint defects that was sent to me. You could be they could be seeing that repair. That repair doe not have to disclosed because it left the factory that way.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philar299 View Post
I would think they have to tell you.. If its dinged up or something.. i dont consider it new.

Just like how a dealer tried to sell me a "new" camaro that was driven around by the vice president and had 500 kms on it...
The definition of New is the vehicle has never been titled. For example a dealer demo that has not been titled but driven for demonstration purposes could be sold as new. A GM factory vehicle used for testing purposes for example emission testing or quality control if it isn't titled is typically sold as new and the warranty start to the " First retail purchaser."
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
The 2012 IOM 1SS I had was a "new" car sold on the Used car lot. It had 32 miles on it. My salesman ran the vehicle history and found out it was a "Show Model" at the GM Test Track -Epcot. The front bumper was damaged after transit to the dealership. It was repaired before it hit the Used Car lot. There was a paint defect from the repair and my dealership fixed it.