Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
joeblow

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT/RS
iPad 2 dash mod

So i saw awhile back the thread where a member discovered a very clever way of mounting the new iPad2 on the Camaro.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=Ipad2

This interested me very much cause i have been cosidering installing a double din to replace the OEM head unit. Only problem that I and im sure other LS/LT owners had is that some of us dont have the Boston Acoustics center speaker.:(

I was determined to find out a way to get this done cause i really didnt want to have a bulky mount clip attached to my ac vent cause i wanted make it look as clean as possible. For those of us who do not have the center speaker, in that area we have a ditch molding in the shape of the speaker. So I found some scrap metal at my job ( i believe it is aluminum ) that was magnetic and cut and formed it into the shape of the ditch molding.

I then was lucky enough to find some vinyl at Home Depot that was a very very close match to the color of the dashboard, and even had the same pattern of grooves/texture as the dash! So i wrapped the piece i cut in the vinyl...securely mounted it with some 3M Mounting Tape onto the dash flush....and it works and looks great!! Synced via Blutooth to the car and this baby is even better than a double din! See for yourself, the piece i made blends so well into the dash that it doesnt even look outta place....people that get in my car dont even know that i made it myself until i tell them lol

Name:  CIMG0505.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  CIMG0506.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  CIMG0507.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  CIMG0509.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  CIMG0510.jpg
Views: 2759
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  CIMG0512.jpg
Views: 8544
Size:  95.3 KB

This was a very easy and cheap mod. I have done alot of mods to my Camaro since i got it, but this one felt more special and fun since i actually made it myself. I took my time and went through a couple of prototypes just to make sure it was perfect. I can be very picky with my Camaro and like for it to look as clean and perfect as possible. I dont like to have any kind of ghetto look in my car lol Now you can argue that this is kinda ghetto in the sense that i mounted a make-shift magnet on my dash Lol But I truly believe that it looks great and very stock and works great! I have had not one negative comment made of it so far by people who have seen it. Let me know what you guys think! :-)
joeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
From the top it blends in well, but in most of your pictures it looks like you screwed up the plastic and now it's all warped. I commend you for making this mod yourself, but it's not nearly as "flush" to me as you say it is.

I'm super picky about having a clean look with everything looking OEM, and that isn't it IMVHO. I'm glad you like it and it works for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Ask Brian from Air Lift about how he mounted his Ipad in the White Camaro at CFII as it looked like it belonged there from the factory. Here is a shot of it.
Attached Images

3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Ask Brian from Air Lift about how he mounted his Ipad in the White Camaro at CFII as it looked like it belonged there from the factory. Here is a shot of it.
That looks f;n awesome! Im still waiting to save up for my iPad but def want to put it in my car whenever I do get it and this looks great. Ive been a bit weery of the magnet mod.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
hangfly

Drives: 2010 SS
Was wondering if anyone ever found out how larry mounted his?
hangfly is offline   Reply With Quote