Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #337
txthunder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS White with Beige Top
Only took 2 weeks before I got the first chips on the front end.
txthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #338
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I have a few paint chips, but I do live in the desert so I sort of expected it. Not as bad as it is though

I was driving about 45 mph the other day and a car maybe three car lengths ahead of me drives over a plastic walmart bag which then hits the top of my front bumper and rubs along the hood before it blows away

I get to my destination about 2 minutes away and park, not thinking anything of the bag, and as I walk by the front of the car I see that the bag has scratched my bumper.

Definitely not normal... Will not buy another GM unless I hear of them getting better paint. My 2002 Nissan Frontier has never been painted since factory, has 300,000 miles MORE than my Camaro and the paint looks better.
Shame

Car has 7,500 miles on it and has multiple places the paint is chipping. Not to mention that the spoiler has plastic that is sticking out from whenever the dealer or manufacturer installed it, and you can see that it moved around in the wind while driving and scratched it. I noticed it right away but was planning on getting an aftermarket spoiler soon so I didn't complain... hopefully the new spoiler will cover up the scratches
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #339
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
it's my understanding that the Corvette guys have the same complaints regarding paint quality.

2016 Scat Pack Challenger (gone 1-6-2018)
2013 Mustang GT Auto(sold)
2013 Track pack Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2011 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2010 Camaro SS 6M ( sold)13.36 @109
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #340
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterMan View Post
it's my understanding that the Corvette guys have the same complaints regarding paint quality.
It's my understanding that GM paint just sucks
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #341
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I just bought a 2012 2SS Victory Red. I bought it from a Nissan dealership in Charlotte NC that I had bought my last vehicle, a 2011 F-150 4x4 SCC. I got it on 11/2. Drove it back to my home in Shelby NC, about 50 miles.

On 11/8 I washed, and waxed it using my favorites, Meguiars #7, followed by #26. Boy it looked great! On 11/9 I drove it 6 miles round trip to the golf course I am a member of. Drove it to work and back on 11/10 which is 0.8 miles 1 way.

I took it after work to the nearby car wash to rinse it off, it's 0.2 miles away.
Upon drying it to my dismay, I found lots of paint chips around the rear quarters, as well as a few isolated chips in other locations. Was really surprised because all these roads are paved and speed limits are 20-35, which I always follow. (I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1994).

I know the office manager at the local Chevrolet dealership very well, so I called her and she told me to bring it in. The service manager came out and drove it to the body shop and came back in a few minutes and told me these were rock chips and that it was normal, I asked him about the ones on the hood, he said I must have drove it behind a gravel truck which of course I didn't do. He told me it wasn't warrantied but I was welcome to get a 2nd opinion.

I went back in to tell Tammy (the office manager) what he had told me, I was upset to say the least, and she advised me to call GM, and maybe call the dealership where I bought it to see if they would help.

As I was leaving, another guy who overheard me talking to her, came out and told me the Nissan dealership had used some special type of wax to cover the chips and after it wore off they were now showing up, he even said look there is a scratch on the front, after which examining there is some type (3M I'm guessing) of protectant which is around the entire front of the car, except the hood.

So anyway I leave the dealership, come back home, and start doing research. I see that lot's of people have this problem. I ordered 2 custom splash/rock guards for the tires, which I just got yesterday and installed immediately.

I called GM twice so far, and really not getting anywhere, they claim the warranty only covers 12 months/12,000 miles. But I have seen online several places, including this site where its 3yrs/36000 miles?

The last woman I spoke with, (Dalia in Texas), I told where I have seen that GM does a repair as a 1 time courtesy for these issues if car is still under 3/36 bumper to bumper.
She said I could not prove that it had not already been done. Tammy had pulled my car up and told me everything that had been done to it since it was built and this was not done. Dalia had no response for this so I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she told me no supervisor was working, this was at 5:55 pm est.

I am supposed to receive a call on Monday 11/17 from a supervisor per Dalia.

My whole issue is this, these paint chips on the doors and quarters could have been prevented if splash/rock guards had been installed.
This is not a "new" issue with Camaro 5th gen body style.
Why don't they just put them on when they build the car?
Put 3M on the front and the hood.
Is there 1 Camaro owner who wouldn't have spent another 750 to 1250 to protect their pride and joy from rock chips?

Other than this issue, I do have to say I absolutely love the car.
Just hope GM will show this customer a little love as well.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #342
rory74

Drives: 2015 ss/rs 1LE
i know this is a old post, dealing with the paint chips on my 2015 1LE, has 660 miles on it, the typical spots,nose, bottoms of fenders/doors/quarters... and looks like it has 100k on it. also have paint peal/chip on the front corners of the bumper near the fender. owned the car for less than 2 weeks... GM and the dealer say it isnt their responsibility and to call my insurance company....not happy right now, first chevy i have owned since my 2000 Z28 ..... these tires have just beaten up the paint, i cant believe they didnt put something of the splash guard/plastic cote on those areas.... great car otherwise after coming out of a 15 mustang, but this paint issue is terrible.......
rory74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #343
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I recently tried the Dr ColorChip paint repair system and did a little review on it. Check it out here, might help with some rock chips:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439575
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #344
rory74

Drives: 2015 ss/rs 1LE
yea, i ordered the squegee kit, i also saw online the "shoe polish" process.. that should work great on the tiny road rash chips.
rory74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #345
Djinn

Drives: 2LT/RS
There is obviously a problem with the paint or something about the engineering of the Camaro. Mine is a daily driver that drives about 3 miles to work and back, but the front end looks like its been sandblasted. But look at the 16 Camaro's, they no longer have all of that paint on the front end, its mostly grille now.
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #346
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
There is obviously a problem with the paint or something about the engineering of the Camaro. Mine is a daily driver that drives about 3 miles to work and back, but the front end looks like its been sandblasted. But look at the 16 Camaro's, they no longer have all of that paint on the front end, its mostly grille now.
Mines a 2010 and I've owned it for about a year and a half and after putting 20k on it the front bumper has two more chips than when I started, which was one chip. I'd say you might be following too closely to traffic or there's a ton of rocks on the roads where you live.

My car is also my DD, even through snow. Wouldn't necessarily say it's a manufacturer problem though otherwise all of us would have this problem.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #347
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
EPA regulated the paint which is part of the reason it chips so bad. The paint is softer from what I Was told by the dealer when I had paint repairs... For what that may be worth...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #348
rd beast

I also have chips in my paint, i think it is because they hardly put any paint on them and very lityel clear coat ,my dodge ram had less chip in it in 8 years then my camaro did in 2 years ,my camaro not even a daily driver, my ram was amd i drove 165 miles a day
rd beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #349
Deathstroke0571

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS
Add me to the list of paint problems. Ive had the car 4 months, less than 5k miles and I have a ton of rock chips. (see my other threads for pics). Now I have white streaks all over the car. The same white streaks I had on my old car after 10 years. Mind you, I keep the car in a garage both at home and work.
Deathstroke0571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #350
Cfizzle96

Drives: 2015 2LT Ashten Gray Camaro
Add me to the chipped paint club too. 6k miles, I don't tailgate, and i have a ton of paint chips. My car has more paint chips than my dad's f350 work truck that he drives in gravel all the time...
Cfizzle96 is offline   Reply With Quote