Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Question for Scott Settlemire

I'm hoping to get an answer from the Fbodfather himself - but I want everybodys input, too.

Why bring back the Camaro instead of the Firebird? What does Camaro have, that the Firebird didn't?

Mind you all - I'm not complaining, it was just a thought that crossed my mind.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Didn't the Camaro come out first?

Personally, when I think of the competition of the muscle cars. You always think of Camaro and Mustang as the most common rivalry. I didn't even know that Firebirds were the same as camaros until well after I learned of the rivalry. Trans ams were always the hot firebird and I thought they were completely different cars. I think it's going back to the roots of the rivalry and rekindling the proverbial flame. History repeats itself they say...

Mustang comes out 1964.5. Camaro comes out a few years later, kicks the crap out of mustangs.

Both cars to shit in the 70's until the IROC comes out.

(from here on out is from personal experience in my area)
Cars begin to make comebacks in late 80's and "5.0" style mustang (89-93) looks and performs great, becomes a teen icon. T/A's become the main competition because the 94 body style of the camaro looks ugly according to most people. WS-6 and Saleens compete for most popular muscle car among high schoolers.

2001 Camaro comes out sporting aggressive new look. Number of Camaros quickly catches the mustang population but 5.0's become inexpensive and eventually start becoming tuner cars like civics.

Early 2000's (Mustang fanatic says he has forged pistons and custom headers on his Turbo rotary mustang GT-R complete with badges, causes an uproar of laughter among the world via the internet)

Early 2000's
People begin buying new mustang v6's because they want to be cool but don't want to spend money on gas. These people look foolish because they still claim to be badasses. Mustang becomes a Chick car while Camaros die off.

That brings us to today.

I doubt that's the way it happened but that's what happened here in the bay area.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I agree that when most people think of the 'rivalry' it's always Camaro vs. Mustang. Even most magazines that I saw over the years rarely included the Firebird in the comparo's.

I thought Firebird's looked great, but have leaned Camaro ever since my first car was an '82 Camaro Berlinetta.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Do these Firebird topics come in rotation :LOL:
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

Well, I mean, we've discussed why not a Firebird, too. And we've discussed what a Firebird would look like, if it were to happen...

But I wanted to know (specifically from Scott, and input from everybody else, too) why the decision to choose the Camaro over the Firebird...

You guys make a lot of good points; Camaro came first, "Camaro" vs Mustang....Now, I wonder if these same things went through the heads of the guys at GM, or if it was a dry - "Chevrolet needs a new car, pontiac doesn't."......"Chevy has the consumer base for a mass-production car."
Old 10-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
OverAnxious

I honestly think it is because the Camaro is much more popular in all aspects than the Firebird and that Chevrolet is one of the prime brand names in the GM lineup
Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Volume!

Target is Mustang. Therefore, Chevy!

Pontiac, I don't believe, could get the volume.

Don't count Pontiac out, tho -- while you may not see a Firebird anytime soon, I think you'll see something else. (and that's all I'll say about that!)
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Would be very interesting if firebirds came back maybe 5 years or so after the Camaro was brought back.

I personally like Camaro's ALOT better, but would take a Firebird over a Mustang any day lolllll.

Heres some Firebird Concepts? ;o

Thats one badddddd Trans Am. I would love to have a car like that lol.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Well, they did the Firebird, Trans Am, GTO... the only thing left is-- I knew it, they're bringing back The Judge!!!

'eh, maybe not-- but whatever it is, it's going to have to top the Camaro in looks and power before I make that trade. That'll be a tough task!

Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Don't count Pontiac out, tho -- while you may not see a Firebird anytime soon, I think you'll see something else. (and that's all I'll say about that!)
G *cough* T *cough* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......... C'mon...gotta speculate!

Or the supervette? awe heck...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Uh...:slice:

Pontiac = Supervette......yeah...........I can see that connection........................................ ....

Just kidding!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Reading carefully (which some of us do waaaay too much) can mean literally anything. It doesn't say, "I think you'll see another car" or, "Wait for the next Pontiac." It simply states, while you may not see a Firebird, you may see something else. It leads one to belive it's going to be from Pontiac...hence my GTO comment. But, could he really mean something else and from another company like GM and the new vette? It could mean that...

So...can you now see the connection? I'll help them to connect...

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Reading carefully (which some of us do waaaay too much) can mean literally anything. It doesn't say, "I think you'll see another car" or, "Wait for the next Pontiac." It simply states, while you may not see a Firebird, you may see something else. It leads one to belive it's going to be from Pontiac...hence my GTO comment. But, could he really mean something else and from another company like GM and the new vette? It could mean that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
'eh, leads me to believe that Pontiac's not going to sit there and watch Chevy bask in all the glory. If not the Firebird- and they lost the rights to use Trans Am... doesn't seem like there's anything left except the GTO-- unless GM is creating a whole nuther brand.

BUT, if GM's having fun dusting off classic badges then I'd like to see the '72 era Chevelle & 442 Hurst Olds brought back.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #14
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
'eh, leads me to believe that Pontiac's not going to sit there and watch Chevy bask in all the glory.
Pontiac has been doing that for 30 years already