Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
streetsteve

Drives: 05 srt-4, e1 turbo,too fast for fwd
not sure wht i want, please help

long time reader, first thread, im going to the police academy soon and upon graduating i will be buying a camaro, it will definately be the ss with rs package but i thought for sure i wanted the 6sp manual, i rented the lt with auto and paddle shifters and liked it, all my other cars including my srt-4 have been stick, what are the pros and cons of these trannys, possible clutch burnup with manual, but loss of hp with auto, is that all, are they 2 different motors in the ss's, i think the auto has the cyclinders drop to save gas, what is the reason for the hp difference, any input would be much appreciated, also opinions on these trannys
streetsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
mjlash22

Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
The auto shifting at its own pre-set RPM's is part of why there is a horsepower difference. Auto's have come a long way from a performance view. Go with what your gut tells you. I dont think you can go wrong in any instance. I'm not getting the SS, but I am going with an A6.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
mjlash22

Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsteve View Post
im going to the police academy soon
Congrats as well! I, one day, hope to get into an accademy my self, but I'm over here in MI and that dream is far off.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
streetsteve

thanks, not looking forward to getting yelled at like at bootcamp or tazed or peppersprayed, but its a 18 week academy out of town, i will be able to see my wife and kid on the weekends, im gonna hang a poster of the camaross in my hotel room as a reminder to stay in it, wife says i can order one once i know for sure im graduating, but back to the subject, are these 2 different motors in the ss's or just a hp drop due to the auto, also not going to go over board with upgrades, just intake, full exhaust and maybe a tune, but a tuner like diablosport so i can flash back to stock when warranty time comes
Old 11-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Ask yourself one question, "What will give you the most thrill once you turn the key over and the engine starts?"

Congrats and best wishes,
Rockies4
Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
teapot

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM MN6 GFX
Considering the bolt-on mods you are considering for the future, you would be well served to check out the posts in here concerning the AFM feature of the auto tranny. Apparently with headers / aftermarket exhaust, the AFM causes some exhaust note issues for some folks when it kicks on/off. I'm not too familiar with it myself, I have the MN6 transmission. Check it out & good luck in the academy.
teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm going thru the same thing, but I think I've settled on the L99. Have a look at the thread I posted, maybe you can glean something from it...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50794

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
streetsteve

is there a way to turn the maf off without a tune, is there like a fuse i can pull or something, these camaros gotta have a cool exhaust sound, wanna keep warranty but also want a exhaust and no maf with an auto, is this possible
Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsteve View Post
is there a way to turn the maf off without a tune, is there like a fuse i can pull or something, these camaros gotta have a cool exhaust sound, wanna keep warranty but also want a exhaust and no maf with an auto, is this possible
You can buy a tuner (Hypertech, diablo etc...) to turn off the AFM but many here believe that GM is "watching" over your shoulder and will void your powertrain warranty if you do so. I for one think that's hog wash and have done a lot of research on these computers and can not find any evidence of a flash counter. So if you do buy a tuner to turn it off and don't rag your car too bad, return it to the stock tune when and if you need any warranty work and you should be fine. NOTE: I am not advocating fraud here, just answering the question as I believe is a fair way to get rid of the annoying AFM, NOT to abuse your car and get something warrantied that's not deserved.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
To directly answer your question:
They are two distinct motors, both displacing 376 cubic inches. The manual gets the LS3 with 426 HP and 420 LB torque. The automatic gets the L99 with 400 HP and 410 LB torque. The LS3 is the base Corvette motor (I do not know if the L99 is used in the automatic Corvette). The June 2009 Road & Track road test of the Camaro mentioned both engines and stated that the LS3 is ".....definitely the way to go."

In fairness to those who love their automatic equipped Camaros, both cars run about the same performance figures in the 1/4 mile.

Good luck in the Police Academy, I'm a retired P.O. myself............Art
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
streetsteve

are there going to be any changes to 2011 models
Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Darnell

Drives: 11 CTS-V Coupe, 04 Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
You can buy a tuner (Hypertech, diablo etc...) to turn off the AFM but many here believe that GM is "watching" over your shoulder and will void your powertrain warranty if you do so. I for one think that's hog wash and have done a lot of research on these computers and can not find any evidence of a flash counter. So if you do buy a tuner to turn it off and don't rag your car too bad, return it to the stock tune when and if you need any warranty work and you should be fine. NOTE: I am not advocating fraud here, just answering the question as I believe is a fair way to get rid of the annoying AFM, NOT to abuse your car and get something warrantied that's not deserved.
Under federal law neither GM nor any other manufacture can legally void your vehicle’s warranty simply because you installed a programmer or other aftermarket component. The only way that they can legally deny a warranty claim is if it is proven that the aftermarket part(s) caused the malfunction.

That is why it is important that you know your rights in regards to aftermarket parts and your vehicle’s warranty so I’m going to include some information from SEMA and a link to their website.

SEMA Consumer’s Bill of Rights
Your Rights to Personalize you Vehicle
Article 1: You have the Right to buy high-quality reliable aftermarket performance and specialty parts, accessories, and styling options.
Article 2: You have the Right to use high-quality aftermarket parts and know that your new vehicle warranty claims will be honored. In fact, your vehicle dealer may not reject a warranty claim simply because an aftermarket product is present. A warranty denial under such circumstances may be proper only if an aftermarket part caused the failure being claimed.
Article 3: You have the Right to install and use emissions-legal aftermarket performance parts without incurring hassles and onerous procedures during state vehicle emissions inspections.
Article 4: You have the Right to actively oppose any proposed (or existing) laws or regulations that will reduce your freedom to use aftermarket automotive parts and service or will curtail your ability to take part in the automotive hobbies of your choice.
Article 5: You have the Right to patronize independent retail stores and shops for vehicle parts and service. The U.S. aftermarket offers the world’s finest selection of performance and specialty parts, accessories, and styling options. These aftermarket products satisfy the most discriminating customers seeking personalized vehicles for today’s lifestyle.

The Law
Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law.
Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.
Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
For more information, contact the SEMA Action Network.
Link: SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK
Darnell is offline   Reply With Quote