Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
ZL1 back in service again... ;/

Differential growling and vibrating.
Supercharger snout rattle.
Right Rear toe arm bearing busted.
Both rear Brake calipers paint peeling at vent.
All four wheels are only painted on the outside. WHy???
Brake master cylinder was previously replaced for a leak, the leak melted the paint of the brake booster and the Chassis frame below. Looks the same as if paint stripper got to it.
Tire pressure sensor might have fallen off inside of wheel. There is a metallic clanking sound in the wheel.
Coolant line, connecting cylinder head to the oil cooler, is leaking coolant.
PLUS,
My interior light still dims and brightens at idle - I gave up on that.

Past issues -
brake reservoir cap leaked,
brake master leaked,
supercharger coolant lines leaked onto supercharger.
Diff was groaning, had TSB done.
Diff groaned again - Gm said it was normal.
both rear dampers covered in oil film - told it was normal (but front is not oily)
Drivetrain feel loose and "bucky" at low (1300rpm) engine speeds - told it was normal, but the chassis was solid and tight when new. They checked all mounts and driveshaft couplers - no luck.

I am getting tired of bringing this car to service, for covered repairs, having to drive a chevy F-ing Cruze for a week, only to come back to service again next month. I might go back to corvette's after this is sorted.

Anyone else have the: leaking toe rod bearing, leaking shocks, leaking supercharger, or leaking coolant line at the oil cooler. Some might want to check it out
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
musclecarguy

Drives: camaro zl1 manual black
Well nightmare I'm not up s****'s creek as bad as you are but I have had quite the conundrum with my zl1 it's a 2013 and 8242 miles on it and I've had a god awful noise coming from my supercharger for about three months the first three times I took it in my service manager (who I thinks a great guy) just didn't know what to tell me. Chevy sent him a bulletin saying it is a torsion spring some crap that happens to CTS-V's that sounds like marbles thrown around in your hood. Well the last time I took it in I had it with the noise it was insanely loud and carried up into the 3000 rpm band...they took the car called me back six days later saying its done, I find out they completely replaced my supercharger and all the gaskets etc. when I get it home I called my dad and he drove over just to hear what he describes as a whistle type noise but to me it's more of a light faint grinding. It is not a constant one pitch it varies in pitch and does not go away warm or cold night or day any help? Also look into your state lemon laws your car sounds like a lemon and you can be given the price you paid in full or another identical car depending upon your states lemon laws.Ca defines a lemon as any car which has been in service 4 or more times for the same problem or has been out of service for 30 (calendar) days (doesnt have to be consecutive)
musclecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
On your supercharger light grinding if you just drove it home then it could still be seating the lobes. I hear that takes about 200 miles. The TVS lobes are coated and when they seat they wear off some of the coating. You can look inside the throttle body and see how much they are wearing. Otherwise now that you got rid of the screeching one you might start hearing the normal coupler rattle.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
How was your brake reservoir cap leak fixed ?
I have the same problem.
If a new cap will fix it, I will just go and buy one.
2014CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
In the event you have to start going down the lemon law route (not saying you are/will - but just in case). Document everything. Keep copies of emails, receipts, meticulously log when your car is at the dealer and for what reason, etc.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
honestly most of those things you bring up are poor service.

1. brake fluid is a solvent to paint. anybody who knows anything knows this. if you don't clean it after a leak you are f^%ked. bad service
2. diff chatter and groaning is a friction moddifier issue and dealers are stupid about these new high perfromanc rear diff's but it is easy to fix. bad service.
3. coolant leak is some kind of assembly error but is the easiest fix you can do if they didn't take car of that quick and easy that is bad service.
4. now a bushing failure in the toe rod is a part issue no doubt I have phadt's on my car so no coment there.
5. light flickering is a volage issue. you either have bulb that is volatage senstive or your changering system is not making enough voltage at idel. easy fix most likely if the service department is good.
6. paint on these wheels suck it is global to all models just is what it is.
7. TPMS issue is lame for sure that is another part failure.

lemon law would only apply to the diff groaning becasue that is the only repeat issue and dealers that are dipsh$ts always say it is normal to get people out the door. No dealer is going to allow this over something like diff chatter though. I can't see that ever flying.

I will say things though these higher HP cars tend to be more tempermental. they have really possive clutch packs in the diff for example so that they handle the power and that is what you are fighting on that side of things. Corvette's have the same issue but it is ean easy fix. just buy some extra friction modifer and add a tiny bit at a time then do some figure 8's in a parking lot each time until the noise goes away.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

There is a new design, that does not leak. And, I am positive that it doesn't.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
z28man2

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Coupe IOM
No surprise to hear these issues, im on my second zl1, first one was replaced by gm due to multiple issues, this one had a new s/c after 300 miles, cant wait to see what else breaks or gives up.
2013 Camaro ZL-1 #3553, IOM, Roto-Fab Intake, Vmax Ported TB, Apex Catch Can
z28man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I will say something though. in modern cars you must either get a good one or a piece of crap.

I am at 8.5k with almost no issues. my car has had two issue.

1. rear pasenger side bumer kind of stuck out at the seam (fixed myself I have no faith in dealrs)
2. world smallest oil leak at my trans cooler still need to have the dealer fix. basically coaster size oil spot ever 3-5k.

now I have the diff chatter thing but I have fluid and modifer I will just fix it. I almost don't condider it an issue because I have had a couple corvette's and just know that these new limited slips can require more maintenance. it is what it is.

same on my new ram 4k miles no issues or codes there are guys on the cummins forums that post just like this thread every issue in the world.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Had mine almost a year now and no problems.
When it was delivered the salesman wanted to order a new exposed CF insert because it was all warped looking. I looked at it and wanted to take it home to fix it, so I did.
I removed it from the hood, waxed the hood underneath it, reinstalled it after using a Dremel to grind a blob of resin under one corner closest to the windshield where it meets the back edge of the hood. Turned out to be a very nice insert quality wise after that.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28man2 View Post
No surprise to hear these issues, im on my second zl1, first one was replaced by gm due to multiple issues, this one had a new s/c after 300 miles, cant wait to see what else breaks or gives up.
I'm at 11000 miles. Those of you with no major issues - mileage the same or higher? just curious.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
I'm at 11000 miles. Those of you with no major issues - mileage the same or higher? just curious.
Mine has 13,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.
It's in storage till spring right now.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Maybe the rough roads in Honolulu, HI are tearing up your car?

Just a though?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
4000 miles and only two issues so far (knock on wood).
  1. Leaking brake reservoir cap. Tried first to shim the cap with a piece of plastic from a gallon mike jug. See post #15 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ic#post4273705). That didn't stop the leak so had dealer replace the entire reservoir per this TSB (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6849566). So far no leak from the replacement reservoir.
  2. Passenger side console panel kept popping out of the clip at the back end of the console. Dealer tried to adjust the clip but eventually had to order a replacement panel. Like the brake reservoir, that solved the problem.