Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Unusual Engines

... So Spike mentioned the other day he was watching Mad Max, and that got me talking with him about the supercharger clutch and if it would actually work or not.

This thread is for those unusual engine ideas you may have that you'd like to share... And yes, you can even talk about DEI as long as you finally understand IT JUST DON'T WORK LIKE THAT

Anyone know what my avatar is?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

If you've never seen the movie, MAX had a clutch setup on his blower so he could turn it on and off. That's basically where we left off with our discussion, is it feasible?

Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
A clutched blower is possible, but in practice would probably be less effective as you would have to have enough clearance for air to get around the compressor when the blower was off. Your avatar looks like a constant pressure variable displacement hydraulic pump. Just a guess.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
A clutched blower is possible, but in practice would probably be less effective as you would have to have enough clearance for air to get around the compressor when the blower was off. Your avatar looks like a constant pressure variable displacement hydraulic pump. Just a guess.
That's part of what we discussed, he'll be in here eventually and can tell you about his dual intake idea.

Link to my avatar if you'd like to know more about the amazing engineers of yesteryear.
The Trebert Axial Engine
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/museu...g/axial-IC.htm
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Mercedes Benz Kompressors have a clutch.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
derklug

I suppose with intake runners like a Ford 3.8 uses, you could run a seperate inlet path with a blower. Since you only need the blower occasionaly, it could help reduce parasitic draw. With the clutch controlled by the MAP sensor, you wouldn't even need a switch.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrocker View Post
Mercedes Benz Kompressors have a clutch.
Cool, I didn't know that. Bro's wife has the little roadster, I'll check it out next time I'm over
Quote:
I suppose with intake runners like a Ford 3.8 uses, you could run a seperate inlet path with a blower. Since you only need the blower occasionaly, it could help reduce parasitic draw. With the clutch controlled by the MAP sensor, you wouldn't even need a switch.
Parasitic loss would be the big draw for it, just below the 'cool' factor... Gotta have a switch tho, for showing off in the parking lot

How about seperate a/f tables in the ecu? Would it be necessary? If the blower was always switched at a certain load, I would think it could be tuned, but the switch idea probably complicates things.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
derklug

Run a MAP for blower on and off, and MAF for A/F. And yes, it would have to have a switch to overide the MAP. An engineer once told me that the auto/sport switch on auto suspensions was put in not for functionality, but because the focus group guys wanted it.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Mr Twisty

Ogura clutched superchargers...

http://www.oguraclutch.co.jp/english.../sc_gaiyou.htm
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Run a MAP for blower on and off, and MAF for A/F. And yes, it would have to have a switch to overide the MAP. An engineer once told me that the auto/sport switch on auto suspensions was put in not for functionality, but because the focus group guys wanted it.
Only thing better than a switch is a knob that goes from 1 to 10 with an 11 in red
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
New GT500's come with the supercharger off from the factory. It is tuned to dump any boost out the bypass until the new owner puts a number of miles on it or a couple consecutive starts.
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
derklug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Only thing better than a switch is a knob that goes from 1 to 10 with an 11 in red
No 11 in red, just an extra click
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
derklug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarz View Post
New GT500's come with the supercharger off from the factory. It is tuned to dump any boost out the bypass until the new owner puts a number of miles on it or a couple consecutive starts.
When Isuzu came out with their turbo I-Mark, it limited boost untill you had 3000 miles. Owners used to come in and say that after their first oil change the car just woke up.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarz View Post
Interesting, but I want to see the clutch kick on and off
Quote:
No 11 in red, just an extra click

Quote:
When Isuzu came out with their turbo I-Mark, it limited boost untill you had 3000 miles. Owners used to come in and say that after their first oil change the car just woke up.
The same as the GT500 setup most likely?

I can see how this setup would work great on a marine application with a planing hull... Use the torque to get it on plane, then kick off the compressor to cruise.