Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 12-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Rather have loud all the time, lol.

I don't think so.. I believe the constant exhaust drone at 1900-2200 rpms may be irritating inside while trying to cruise on a trip....... worth considering.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #16
htron50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
long tube headers and better sounding exhaust are in my program. The stock ZL1 exhaust is too pop and fart. It sounds like glass backs with the back fires etc. I will probably upgrade to flowmaster.
That "sounds" nice, but I read somewhere that if you add headers to the ZL1 motor you may be reducing the "boost" from the supercharger netting out at less RWHP. Heard that on one of the tech threads here! You may need to offset the reduced boost if you get headers by going to smaller pulley etc... then you have the warranty issues... (though you may have them anyway by adding headers). They say the headers don't result in much HP on the ZL1. Check it out before you jump. I'm sure we'll be seeing many tests of varying setups near term.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
That "sounds" nice, but I read somewhere that if you add headers to the ZL1 motor you may be reducing the "boost" from the supercharger netting out at less RWHP. Heard that on one of the tech threads here! You may need to offset the reduced boost if you get headers by going to smaller pulley etc... then you have the warranty issues... (though you may have them anyway by adding headers). They say the headers don't result in much HP on the ZL1. Check it out before you jump. I'm sure we'll be seeing many tests of varying setups near term.
Hmm. yes good advice. I will definately research first, change later.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
I don't think so.. I believe the constant exhaust drone at 1900-2200 rpms may be irritating inside while trying to cruise on a trip....... worth considering.
For some ppl. Louder the better for me. I have ARH headers, cats, X pipe and flowmaster super 40's on my SS. And it's great.

Quote:
You'll still gain hp overall, will need a tune for the best effects though. You will lose a bit of boost b'c the engine is working more efficiently. But a pulley swap will fix that and give you an even better gain.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
if you want it louder all the time, all you have to do is pull the exhaust flap fuse.........
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Can't say I want to change the exhaust on the car when it comes. The production-intent model at the Fest sounded AMAZING...(someone said "pop & fart" above...in person, I didn't hear much of that) It sounds very similar to that ZR1 video a little higher up in this thread).

Later on perhaps I'll get a set of headers, pulley and a tune...but the dual-mode mufflers are staying, and that mild-to-wild system is almost certainly a Must-Have!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
wilmaya

Drives: 1970 Chevelle SS396/496
Amen to it being quiet a idle. I leave for work @ 6:00am and the neighbors won't be to happy with a loud exhaust. Dual mode is just perfect for me.
wilmaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
htron50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Can't say I want to change the exhaust on the car when it comes. The production-intent model at the Fest sounded AMAZING...(someone said "pop & fart" above...in person, I didn't hear much of that) It sounds very similar to that ZR1 video a little higher up in this thread).

Later on perhaps I'll get a set of headers, pulley and a tune...but the dual-mode mufflers are staying, and that mild-to-wild system is almost certainly a Must-Have!
When/if you find a good mild-wild system share it with us. I know Tom has some ideas on that too! Do share!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
When/if you find a good mild-wild system share it with us. I know Tom has some ideas on that too! Do share!
Yep!! Tom will be looking into it. Of course, no promises...but what better way for my car to spend its time until the snow melts than test-fitting a manual-control system?

I only really have three major mods I want to do, and this is one of them!...I'd like that option to leave the system's operation factory while in the "mild" setting...we'll have to see!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #24
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmaya View Post
Amen to it being quiet a idle. I leave for work @ 6:00am and the neighbors won't be to happy with a loud exhaust. Dual mode is just perfect for me.
Ha, it's my car! I could care less what my neighbors think!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham

For anybody interested...Here's a series of pictures describing the Corvette's version of this system.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #26
htron50

I saw one of the corvette pics that showed it coming out near the transmission. That would bother me... last thing I want to do is "cook the tranny oil"....

Joe... I think one or the other mods you are doing is the Catch Can. Ditto for me. I saw there are a couple different places to put it... some places can interfere with engine covers etc.

Whats the third mod you're doing? I personally would like to see some nice looking CAI with a solid Carbon fiber pipe, or possibly chrome looking into a clear filter container. Then maybe add some matching fuse box covers, etc etc. Just to tidy up the engine bay. Other than that, Im staying pure stock.

My only other question is whether or not I like the black vs polished rims. I like both. What do they call the shiny ones.. "boat anchors".. LOL... Funny!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #27
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
my question is..... can this exhaust bolt up directly to an SS...
Old 01-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I saw one of the corvette pics that showed it coming out near the transmission. That would bother me... last thing I want to do is "cook the tranny oil"....

Joe... I think one or the other mods you are doing is the Catch Can. Ditto for me. I saw there are a couple different places to put it... some places can interfere with engine covers etc.

Whats the third mod you're doing? I personally would like to see some nice looking CAI with a solid Carbon fiber pipe, or possibly chrome looking into a clear filter container. Then maybe add some matching fuse box covers, etc etc. Just to tidy up the engine bay. Other than that, Im staying pure stock.

My only other question is whether or not I like the black vs polished rims. I like both. What do they call the shiny ones.. "boat anchors".. LOL... Funny!
I like the racy look of the black rims. My other mod might be the tail lights...I'm not sure what else I could have been referring to - I'm not doing a whole lot to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRS View Post
my question is..... can this exhaust bolt up directly to an SS...
I imagine it could....I'm sure somebody will try!