Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I'm gonna sound like the damn commercials.... but:

I switched to Geico. I'm currently saving more than 30% off my old rates without one of those stupid OBD2 thingies.

I'm not a fan of Big Brother, either.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
I work for BMW and we have huge issues with our cars and the obd2 insurance dongles
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
The fact an insurance company wants to plug anything into your car to "watch" how you drive should be a red herring... as an IT guy.

Exactly.

Just get regular car insurance. If you are concerned with cost, maintain a good driving record.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Exactly.

Just get regular car insurance. If you are concerned with cost, maintain a good driving record.
I have a perfect record, and all of my discounts average 25 or more prcent over 5 cars insured.

So I am certainly saving money.
And the dongle has average 14 percent discount on top of all other discounts, with exception of my Camaro. The topic of this thread outlines why.

I thought it would be useful for those others that dongle also.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Use Collector's insurance with stated value and avoid this discussion 100% with 50% savings for the win.
Stated value insurance is worthless. You want agreed upon value insurance.

Stated value insurance - You state what you think the car is worth. The insurance company insures it for that much but then, in the event of a total loss, pays you whatever they think it is really worth.

Agreed upon value insurance - You and your insurance company agree ahead of time what your car is worth. In the event of a total loss they pay you that amount.

Those are easy to confuse and I'll bet you really have agreed upon value insurance. But if you don't, be aware of the difference.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #20
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Mark T,

Have you tried pricing insurance in other areas around your community? When I moved 50 miles closer to work, the insurance company dropped my yearly policy around $400. I was never able to pinpoint if my distance to work or that my former residence was more risk adverse in the underwriter's eyes.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #21
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Please keep in mind I am not unpleased with my insurance company and rates.

The only issue I have found is with the dongle reporting hard brake events, when they are actually the traction control events in nanny that is flagging the hard brake event, but during hard acceleration. The traction control mechanism used your antiloc brake mechanism to maintain tire traction and limit wheel spin.

It is what it does.

But for those that dongle with their insurance company, it is a better discount if you turn off the traction control to avoid this scenario.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #22
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Use Collector's insurance with stated value and avoid this discussion 100% with 50% savings for the win.
i've been seriously considering this as a few friends have done this already. As for savings, no such luck, not even close to my current rate, but for peace of mind, well worth it. I'm assuming without stated value with let's say a place like Haggarty, my regular insurance co will give me a check for $22k (fair price for a used SS), without considering that it's basically a show car that looks better than it did upon delivery plus a ton of time and money invested in it. I really should switch to stated value
Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 PM   #23
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I gave Progressive a complete list of what I did and its value. I also gave them the starting value of my 2SS. I have it insured for replacement @ the stated value -- it costs more, but I know they won't be able to get away with 'under-valuing' the car since I provided detailed upgrades and their values. I drive it every week, but not during rush hour(s).

No big brother for me either -- don't want that on my OBDII port -- that's for my Aero-force gauges!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #24
miller8907

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
Please keep in mind I am not unpleased with my insurance company and rates.

The only issue I have found is with the dongle reporting hard brake events, when they are actually the traction control events in nanny that is flagging the hard brake event, but during hard acceleration. The traction control mechanism used your antiloc brake mechanism to maintain tire traction and limit wheel spin.

It is what it does.

But for those that dongle with their insurance company, it is a better discount if you turn off the traction control to avoid this scenario.
This may be a dumb question but if you're accelerating hard enough for the nannies to kick in wouldn't that throw some sort of hard acceleration flag?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #25
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

The dongle doesnt report acceleration.

Edit to add: the dongle reports...

1. Speed
2. Braking events, aka antilock
3. Mileage
4. Time driven

Thats all mine reports.

Last edited by Mark T; 09-16-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #26
Sledge_Hammer
Speed Addict seeks help

Drives: 15 1LE, 15 GTI, 14 E Class Coupe
Hagerty stated value policy for $50k on my car and $800 per year. I do not keep this car on my normal policy since its a toy for me. I used them for my last Vette it was a lil more at $1k per year since its a Vette, heavily modded and a 99 model year.

Unless this is a true DD I wouldn't do normal policies nor cancel coverage based on season.
Sledge_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #27
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

It is looking like it will be reasonable to investigate and get quotes like some of you have suggested.

No it isnt a daily driver. And never will be.

But I want to reiterate, is that I am neither dissatisfied nor am I looking for regular insurance replacements on my other cars. Allstate treats me well, even when involved in an occasional but rare claim. They have been there and expeditiously when an emergency. And after my discounts, which are significant, with exception to my Camaro and the topic of how it happened.

But I am always willing to look into other options.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #28
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
The only real measurement of an insurance company is when you need to use it for something. Most of them suck. Haggerty agreed value for me, the haggle is not worth it should something arise, so I'm not selling my peace of mind for a few bucks.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote