Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #29
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
No nothing was change except for the rotors.

The dealer has still no clue on what happened. I'm so Bummed out!
Sorry to hear. Stupid question: Have you tried going back to totally stock to see if you still have the problem? I agree with most, sounds like a warp issue. But the dealer didn't notice a warp? Tough one. I had that same issue on my beater (honda) and swapped out the rotors and all was good. Hope it works out for you.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #30
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballone View Post
Sorry to hear. Stupid question: Have you tried going back to totally stock to see if you still have the problem? I agree with most, sounds like a warp issue. But the dealer didn't notice a warp? Tough one. I had that same issue on my beater (honda) and swapped out the rotors and all was good. Hope it works out for you.
Thank for the info bro!

Ill will try that out!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #31
GEEo
OKCamaros

Shes fixed now! got the rotors resurfaced!

Gunna pick her up in about an hour!

thanks for all your opinion and adiveses guys!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #32
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Quote:
Shes fixed now! got the rotors resurfaced!

Gunna pick her up in about an hour!

thanks for all your opinion and adiveses guys!
Did you bed the brakes the first time you had them installed?
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
Did you bed the brakes the first time you had them installed?
Wut do you mean??

R1 Concept is gunna replace them for free

Cuz its under warranty .
Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #34
Team STILLEN

Quote:
Wut do you mean??

R1 Concept is gunna replace them for free
It doesn't matter if they are replaced under warranty if they are not bedded correctly. Bedding new brakes and rotors is a vital part of making the brakes work. Each brake pad, and rotor combination can have a different procedure so its best to check with the manufacturer for recommendations.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...2ab5d7430ebd84
Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #35
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
It doesn't matter if they are replaced under warranty if they are not bedded correctly. Bedding new brakes and rotors is a vital part of making the brakes work. Each brake pad, and rotor combination can have a different procedure so its best to check with the manufacturer for recommendations.

In this regard is it required to put in new pads when changing to new drilled/slotted rotors? Will it cause a problem to continue using existing, say, Hawk Ceramic pads, if you put in new rotors? I have been looking for some good (inexpensive, but good) drilled/slotted rotors, but didn't want to add to the expense by buying new ceramic pads when I only have a couple of thousand miles on the Hawk pads I have.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #36
Team STILLEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
In this regard is it required to put in new pads when changing to new drilled/slotted rotors? Will it cause a problem to continue using existing, say, Hawk Ceramic pads, if you put in new rotors? I have been looking for some good (inexpensive, but good) drilled/slotted rotors, but didn't want to add to the expense by buying new ceramic pads when I only have a couple of thousand miles on the Hawk pads I have.
Its not a problem to put new pads with old rotors, or old pads with new rotors. You just want to do a bed in, which is like a break in for an engine/rear end.

Follow the recommended procedures, and everything should work a lot better together than if you did not bed them in.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #37
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:

Thanks for this information!

Ill make sure to do this when I get my replacement rotors.

The dealer told me that the calipers locked up that caused the rotors to warp.

Does that sound right??
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #38
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Thanks for this information!

Ill make sure to do this when I get my replacement rotors.

Does that sound right??
Thats pretty much what I was thinking happened.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #39
Team STILLEN

Quote:
The dealer told me that the calipers locked up that caused the rotors to warp. Does that sound right??
It would be one way to warp a rotor. Its a little bit of an odd occurrence, but cars themselves can be odd at times.

Did the dealer replace the caliper that locked up?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #40
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Brakes can be the difference between life and death. Put the OE rotors on and have the OE calipers rebuilt or replaced. Drive the car for at least a few thousand miles to make certain everything is function as it should. Something isn't right and going back to 100% OE will create the least amount of variables to deal with in any additional problems return.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #41
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:

Does that sound right??
If a piston is sticking (not likely, but it does happen every now and then), the rotor it is clamping on will run MUCH hotter than the other side. The first visual sign is a lot more brake dust on one front wheel when compared to the other. If that is not the case, the caliper is usually not to blame. If it is, continue reading.

Since that rotor is running hotter, it is possible after stopping that the pad is searing onto the disc surface. Most of the time you can see pad "print-off", or a visual image of the pad material outline on the rotor. It almost looks like someone took a pencil and traced around the pad. At this spot (if the rotors are hot enough), carbon molecules will get pulled from the pad and embed into the iron rotor surface to create cementite (a particular molecular lattice structure of iron-based alloy). This spot will now be much harder than the rest of the rotor and will not wear much at all.

As time then progresses, the driver will feel brake judder (including steering wheel shimmy if on the front). A tech will measure the runout with the rotors on the car and say "rotors are warped!" They are not actually warped, but the result is nearly the same. It is just that the softer iron has worn and the cementite patch has not, so the dial indicator will sweep back and forth as the tech rotates the disc.

So, what happened to your rotors? I dunno. But a good service tech with a lot of brake troubleshooting experience can usually figure it out. Most dealer techs are better trained at just replacing parts until the customer stops complaining. There are exceptions, but those guys typically venture out to open their own shops!

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #42
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
If a piston is sticking (not likely, but it does happen every now and then), the rotor it is clamping on will run MUCH hotter than the other side. The first visual sign is a lot more brake dust on one front wheel when compared to the other. If that is not the case, the caliper is usually not to blame. If it is, continue reading.

Since that rotor is running hotter, it is possible after stopping that the pad is searing onto the disc surface. Most of the time you can see pad "print-off", or a visual image of the pad material outline on the rotor. It almost looks like someone took a pencil and traced around the pad. At this spot (if the rotors are hot enough), carbon molecules will get pulled from the pad and embed into the iron rotor surface to create cementite (a particular molecular lattice structure of iron-based alloy). This spot will now be much harder than the rest of the rotor and will not wear much at all.

As time then progresses, the driver will feel brake judder (including steering wheel shimmy if on the front). A tech will measure the runout with the rotors on the car and say "rotors are warped!" They are not actually warped, but the result is nearly the same. It is just that the softer iron has worn and the cementite patch has not, so the dial indicator will sweep back and forth as the tech rotates the disc.

So, what happened to your rotors? I dunno. But a good service tech with a lot of brake troubleshooting experience can usually figure it out. Most dealer techs are better trained at just replacing parts until the customer stops complaining. There are exceptions, but those guys typically venture out to open their own shops!

Chris
Thank for the info bro!