Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
I've read about blackfire and seen the vid's on YT. It seems as if blackfire is a good product. My car is currently in the shop getting a new bumper and should be out by thursday and I can't wait to get it washed and then start on that shine.
It definitely is. I'm not sure if you're getting a repaint or what, but if any part of your car is being repainted, then you should wait about 30 days before waxing

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Not trying to hijack the thread here but all I see is product recommendations when IMO the new swirls that are showing are likely from improper washing techniques.

As a suggestion search the 2 bucket method as the foundation of your entire technique. Then develop your clay, polish, seal and wax technique.

All the products in the world won't do any good if your washing technique isn't sound.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread here but all I see is product recommendations when IMO the new swirls that are showing are likely from improper washing techniques.

As a suggestion search the 2 bucket method as the foundation of your entire technique. Then develop your clay, polish, seal and wax technique.

All the products in the world won't do any good if your washing technique isn't sound.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Once your paint is clayed/corrected to the level you are happy with, our Brilliant Glaze/Americana combo will give you that deep, wet shine you are looking for. The combo is affectionately known by many of our customers and team members as the "face melter."

The Brilliant Glaze will fill in very minor imperfections while adding gloss and depth to the paint, and the Americana will lock in and amplify the shine created from the Brilliant Glaze!

Here is a link to our Premium Shine Kit, AKA the FACE MELTER!!!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-566-a...shine-kit.aspx

I use the Brilliant Glaze and I love it !!!! I had my car parked next to another black camaro at a show, and the owner couldn't get over how much shinier my car was than his black camaro.
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
With only hand polishing, you're going to need something that will effectively hide the minor swirls left behind. You will not get a perfect finish with your hand, unless you're some crossbreed of The Hulk and The Flash.

So, that usually means glazing. I see that Adam's Brilliant Glaze has been mentioned a few times, and that is a very good product. However, if I were to suggest a glaze, it would ALWAYS be Chemical Guys Blacklight. From a swirl-filling and longevity standpoint, I don't think it can be paralleled. What that's going to do is create the illusion of a flat surface on the paint by filling the scratches- that's what makes the car shine.

After that, you need to apply a sealant or wax to lock it in and protect everything. You have hundreds of choices here. Really depends on what you want in terms of ease of application, longevity, price, etc. I'd need to know more about your goals in order to make a proper suggestion on an LSP for you.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
TheRaven
TheRaven

Drives: 2012 RS Camaro-black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
It definitely is. I'm not sure if you're getting a repaint or what, but if any part of your car is being repainted, then you should wait about 30 days before waxing

JUst the front fascia is being painted. It was busted by a diesel truck tire tread so getting replaced. I'm just going to use the clay bar and wax/polish.
TheRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
However, if I were to suggest a glaze, it would ALWAYS be Chemical Guys Blacklight. From a swirl-filling and longevity standpoint, I don't think it can be paralleled. .
Blacklight is awesome. Creates a great look. Here it is on my Avalanche.

David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post

I use two buckets. I also use the water and i'm soaping it up with a microfiber hand mit. The swirls are not extreme, but i have some. Maybe it's time to replace the mit and my microfiber towels. I use the towels only after i dry it with cami and wipe it down with the M.towel to remove water streaks, etc. Shoot, when I pour out my soap water it still looks clean.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
With only hand polishing, you're going to need something that will effectively hide the minor swirls left behind. You will not get a perfect finish with your hand, unless you're some crossbreed of The Hulk and The Flash.

So, that usually means glazing. I see that Adam's Brilliant Glaze has been mentioned a few times, and that is a very good product. However, if I were to suggest a glaze, it would ALWAYS be Chemical Guys Blacklight. From a swirl-filling and longevity standpoint, I don't think it can be paralleled. What that's going to do is create the illusion of a flat surface on the paint by filling the scratches- that's what makes the car shine.

After that, you need to apply a sealant or wax to lock it in and protect everything. You have hundreds of choices here. Really depends on what you want in terms of ease of application, longevity, price, etc. I'd need to know more about your goals in order to make a proper suggestion on an LSP for you.

My goal is to do away with the minimal swirling on the car and to give it that wet black shine look, the kind you get when you WET a black car.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
My goal is to do away with the minimal swirling on the car and to give it that wet black shine look, the kind you get when you WET a black car.
I meant more in terms of how often you are willing to reapply and how important ease of use is.

The black light and any good wax or sealant will give you the wet look. It won't be perfect, because you're not willing to properly polish the paint. That's where the truly dripping wet look would have to come from. But black light will let you fake it pretty well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #25
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
I use two buckets. I also use the water and i'm soaping it up with a microfiber hand mit. The swirls are not extreme, but i have some. Maybe it's time to replace the mit and my microfiber towels. I use the towels only after i dry it with cami and wipe it down with the M.towel to remove water streaks, etc. Shoot, when I pour out my soap water it still looks clean.
Sounds like that part is right. Take the plunge and pick up a PC and fix those swirls and you're good to go.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
I meant more in terms of how often you are willing to reapply and how important ease of use is.

The black light and any good wax or sealant will give you the wet look. It won't be perfect, because you're not willing to properly polish the paint. That's where the truly dripping wet look would have to come from. But black light will let you fake it pretty well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

How often? LOL, I'm already told by a couple neighbors I'm going to wash the paint off. The number of times I'll have to do anything isn't a question. I would like something that has an ease of use. I do want to polish the paint and I'm willing to use the power tools but would prefer not to use them on every polish because I do spend a lot of time washing it and a lot of times during a month. I try to wash it a least twice a week, i say try because if it's raining I won't wash it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #27
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
How often? LOL, I'm already told by a couple neighbors I'm going to wash the paint off. The number of times I'll have to do anything isn't a question. I would like something that has an ease of use. I do want to polish the paint and I'm willing to use the power tools but would prefer not to use them on every polish because I do spend a lot of time washing it and a lot of times during a month. I try to wash it a least twice a week, i say try because if it's raining I won't wash it.
Hardcore paint correction should only be done once. After that, every 6 months or year, you can use a mild polish to take out any fine swirls you may have.

However, this is dependent on you using proper car washing technique. The better your car washing technique, the less swirls you will inflict in the paint, and ultimately, the less polishing you will have to do.

Also, it's not the quantity of the car washes you do, it's the quality.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
TheRaven
TheRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Hardcore paint correction should only be done once. After that, every 6 months or year, you can use a mild polish to take out any fine swirls you may have.

However, this is dependent on you using proper car washing technique. The better your car washing technique, the less swirls you will inflict in the paint, and ultimately, the less polishing you will have to do.

Also, it's not the quantity of the car washes you do, it's the quality.

I feel my technique is okay. I use two buckets. I also use the running water as a lubricate between the microfiber hand mitt and the surface, although water isn't a real lubricant, you see what I mean. when washing is complete my soap water is still clean. I always wash the wheels and tires and wheel well from a third bucket and wash these first. I give the car a complete rinse, well rinsed, then spray some soap on the surface and have the soap water and another bucket of hot water, then i begin to wash it. remember i leave water running and the running water is always in front of the microfiber hand mit. I know for a fact that the ONE AND ONLY time I let the dealership wash it after an oil change that was when I noticed the swirls. Of course, they will never was it again nor admit they caused the swirls.