Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Hard start and service stabilitrak - HELP!

So I drove home today from work and stopped at the gas station. After I filled up, I went to start the car and it didn't turn over. I tried again, same problem and I got a service stabilitrak message. I didn't notice any other lights but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I checked what I could while I was at the gas station. Made sure my gas cap was on tight. checked fluid levels and made sure any sensors I could see were plugged in. Third time, it started right up. Not sure what the problem could be? I'm hoping maybe I was just being lazy with my clutch and not pushing it all the way? but TWICE? I've noticed my idle seems slightly lower and slightly rough ever since having the IPF tune installed on my car a few weeks ago. Its not everyday, but once in a while i'll be sitting at a light leaving work and feel like the car is shaking more than usual. Nothing horrible... just "more". My mods are listed below. anyone have an idea what could have happened?
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Original battery? Did you happen to notice what the voltmeter was showing when it didn't crank? Might just try cleaning battery cables and making sure they're tight, I'd test the battery too.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
ZL600 FK

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL600 #15 (IOM) Convert
Had this happen to me the other day - it started real slow. After that the service stabilitrak message came on and the tach did not work. Original battery - replaced battery all is good.
ZL600 FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #4
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
My first guess... Spark plugs... Make sure they are all tight, and the plugs are on them correctly.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
My first guess... Spark plugs... Make sure they are all tight, and the plugs are on them correctly.

how would spark plugs keep a car from cranking?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
omgitsmiketuck

So im sure i'm just trippin... or at least I want to believe that I am. The car seems like its low on power? Not sure how else to explain it. The throttle seems like... boggy(?) and I have a VTC set to 5 or 6 most of the time. I feel like it was much more responsive when I first bought it. You really think it could be the battery? I'm ok with replacing it. But im just hesitant cause its a 200 dollar guess. Today I was keeping an eye on my voltage and it was between 14.2 and 14.3 the whole ride home. I'm currently at 30k so I feel like its way too soon for it to be spark plugs. And its not misfiring, so I don't think its the plugs just not being all the way on or something.
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
Old 03-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #7
Chevy_cowboy

voltage while its running isn't what affects how it starts, that'll just show the health of your alternator. Voltage when the engine is off is what would cause no crank/hard crank.

Guesses is all you're really gonna get from folks who haven't seen the car or its symptoms, but you could pull the battery out and have it tested to be sure before replacing it. It could be other things, but thats where I'd start.

Last edited by Chevy_cowboy; 03-24-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Try removing the throttle controller just to eliminate it being the problem.
Then go to a parts house and have the battery load tested, both cost nothing to try.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 AM   #9
omgitsmiketuck

im curious what the average voltage is that people see on their dash. Driving or not. I feel like when I first posted this I was getting around 14.7 when driving. today on my way home I noticed it stayed around 12.5-7. Key in the on position shows around 12.4-6

Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
omgitsmiketuck

its a longshot, and i'll have my battery tested tomorrow either way... but is it possible adding an x-pipe after doing an IPF tune may be causing part of the problem? more specifically, should I re-tune after an x-pipe? I cant imagine it makes that big of a difference since I still have the restrictive stock cats. right?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #11
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
Mine has done this a couple of times but was able to reset itself after turning it off. I''m also on the original battery.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote