Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
In car camera with DVR

I recently installed a VIO 1.5 Moto in car camera system.... For me since I do not race at the track it's more of a cool toy... I use it to record all the stupid things that happen while driving and for proof of what may have occurred in the event of an accident...

This setup would be best suited for anyone who run their Camaro at the track and is looking for a high quality in car video system...

Like I said earlier, for me, it's just a toy for the most part...

I got the system off Amazon for $450....

Here are some photos and I will upload a few daytime and night time videos later...

Camera

DVR

raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Was going to be wondering if the camera was pointed at the interior...

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
raqball

Here is a quick daytime video... I am still playing with the recording settings.. You tube compresses the heck out of these videos and it look better on PC or TV...

Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Cheaper option for those interested. http://www.goprocamera.com/products/...ero-camera.php

Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
raqball

I considered the GoPro and here are the reasons I passed on it... I also considered the Chase Cam but passed on it due to it's price ($1,000)

Why I passed on the GoPro:

-- I did not want a large device hanging from my windshield....
-- The GoPro runs on batteries ONLY... No option to hardwire...
-- The GoPro offers NO ability to check if the camera is lined up correctly (no screen)
-- The GoPro offers NO ability to review recorded video on the spot (again, no screen)
-- I wanted stealth, the GoPro is anything but that..
-- Everything on the GoPro has to be done on the GoPro that hangs from your windshield and some things can only be done when attached to a PC..

The VIO in my opinion is better suited for permanent install and was well worth the extra $$ to me... If you are OK with a larger camera hanging from your windshield, don't care if you have no way to review video, and don't care if all settings and options need to be done from it, while it's hanging from your windshield or attached to a PC, then the GoPro is a very nice setup...

Also, the GoPro runs on batteries ONLY and that was a rather large turn off for me and what I wanted...

Last edited by raqball; 09-26-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Yeah after looking at the GoPro website I wouldn't want that hanging from the windshied either. The one you have looks discreet but still cool.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
That would be great to prove that red light cams have almost no yellow light. Well, other than getting a ticket.

Nice picture. I'll bet you washed your ride right before shooting the video.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Yeah after looking at the GoPro website I wouldn't want that hanging from the windshied either. The one you have looks discreet but still cool.
The GoPro would be nice as a semi used unit... Track ONLY... Stick it to windshield, run at track, download video later... But for $150 more, you can get the VIO premaritally installed option and use it for so much more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
That would be great to prove that red light cams have almost no yellow light. Well, other than getting a ticket.

Nice picture. I'll bet you washed your ride right before shooting the video.
Thanks, it's a video... Click the play button

I am still messing with the settings... It has a TON of different exposure settings and I don't think I have found the right combo yet...

Yes it will be a fantastic tool to prove red light, yellow light, and many other violations.. Would also be invaluable in case of an accident.... Plus it's fun to catch all the other crazy things people do...

I am happy with it and yes, I did wash my car before the video....
Old 10-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
The GoPro has a port on the back for future add-ons like a viewscreen. They've also updated it with a patch so that you can plug it into a screen while it's recording to see what it sees.

Obviously, you'd have to purchase some sort of screen that accepts the same inputs, but that's no longer a limiting option for it.

The VIO camera does look pretty cool, but the DVR unit looks a bit bulky and cumbersome.

It's always good to have options though

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
The GoPro has a port on the back for future add-ons like a viewscreen. They've also updated it with a patch so that you can plug it into a screen while it's recording to see what it sees.

Obviously, you'd have to purchase some sort of screen that accepts the same inputs, but that's no longer a limiting option for it.

The VIO camera does look pretty cool, but the DVR unit looks a bit bulky and cumbersome.

It's always good to have options though
Yes the DVR is a tad on the larger side... (it's not as big as it looks in the images though)

I really wanted the Chase Cam, but at $1,000 it's a bit on the ridiculously high price side...

My main issues with the GoPro is it's size, the fact that has to run on batteries, and it's not very stealth...

The add on's that GoPro will eventually offer for it, will put it's price point well above that of the POV 1.5 Moto...

The GoPro is a sweet unit, it was just not what I wanted....
Old 10-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I recently installed a VIO 1.5 Moto in car camera system.... For me since I do not race at the track it's more of a cool toy... I use it to record all the stupid things that happen while driving and for proof of what may have occurred in the event of an accident...

This setup would be best suited for anyone who run their Camaro at the track and is looking for a high quality in car video system...

Like I said earlier, for me, it's just a toy for the most part...

I got the system off Amazon for $450....

Here are some photos and I will upload a few daytime and night time videos later...
That is pretty cool. However i would try to mount that DVR in the trunk, is there enough cable to do so? does it use standard coax? Also i am looking to do a night vision camera to hide in the grille with a display nicely on my dash somewhere. Good work really clean look behind the RV Mirror.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
raqball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballone View Post
That is pretty cool. However i would try to mount that DVR in the trunk, is there enough cable to do so? does it use standard coax? Also i am looking to do a night vision camera to hide in the grille with a display nicely on my dash somewhere. Good work really clean look behind the RV Mirror.
The issue with putting it in the trunk (it's what I wanted to do) is that it will not automatically turn on... You must power it on unless you hardwire it to the battery and leave it on all the time... This would probably drain the battery rather fast...

The only option I found during tons of research is the Chase Cam.... It will automatically turn on and start recording when it receives power and vehicle motion... The Chase Cam is $1,000 though...

Once the VIO is on, it does have a remote control to start recording, stop recording and tag videos (tag is great for loop mode)...

BUT.... The DVR does not automatically power on so it has to be somewhere where you can hit the power button...
Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #14
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Under the passenger seat with a removable attachment would be nice
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote