Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
Any idea where to find out what is allowed under this Street Legal class and what is not?
NHRA.com, or if you're lazy you could just click on the link I provided. It isn't just pretty, underlined text.
Then on the right side click on Street Legal Style.
I'm not sure that it's technically a class. I think it's just you and I going to a dragstrip to make passes. I've never heard of it being an actual class at an NHRA sponsored event?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #30
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
NHRA.com, or if you're lazy you could just click on the link I provided. It isn't just pretty, underlined text.
Then on the right side click on Street Legal Style.
I'm not sure that it's technically a class. I think it's just you and I going to a dragstrip to make passes. I've never heard of it being an actual class at an NHRA sponsored event?
The Street Legal Style you have linked is a sponsored event, ie.. not something all the tracks have and is only held at certain times. I don`t think the rule change means a particular event like this. But then maybe it does, I guess we just need to talk to our tracks.

http://www.nhra.com/streetlegal/slstyle.aspx

Street Legal Style: What to expect

When you get to an NHRA Member Track for an NHRA Drags Street Legal Style presented by AAA event, you’ll pay your entry fee and get a tech card. Fill out your information on the tech card and proceed to the tech area to submit your car for safety inspection. The tech staff and track officials will inspect your car to make sure you meet the racing safety requirements. Some of the safety requirements include:

Seat Belts
Working headlights and taillights
Safe, DOT-Approved tires
Secured Battery
Must be wearing long pants (no nylon), sleeved shirt, closed-toe shoes and socks when making your run.
Helmets and additional safety equipment may be required.
Contact your local track for specifics; they are more than willing to help you determine if your vehicle meets the requirements.

What do I need to participate?*
Check with your local NHRA member track for its requirements, but generally, you can expect to be expected to provide proof of the following:

A valid driver's license
Valid vehicle registration and insurance
DOT-approved street legal tires
Seat belts
Muffler
If using nitrous, nitrous-oxide bottles must be stamped as meeting DOT 1,800-pound standards *Requirements may vary
What to expect at the track Step-by-Step
Entry: When you enter the track, you'll receive a tech card after paying your entry/participation fee.
Tech: After completing your tech card, you'll drive your vehicle to tech, where a simple safety inspection will be performed on your car.
Registration: You'll then check in at racer registration, where you'll sign a release form and show your valid driver's license.
Staging lanes: Once you're registered, drive to the rear of the staging lanes and get ready to race. See tips on Staging your vehicle.
Race: When it's time for you to race, an official will motion to you. Do a burnout if you'd like, or drive around the water box and get ready to stage. When both cars are ready, you'll stage using the Christmas Tree. At the end of your run, slow down and exit properly.
Timing booth: After your run, you'll pick up your time slip at the timing booth to see how your vehicle performed. Then return to the pits to get ready for more runs.
Where can I race?
NHRA has more than 140 member tracks across the United States and in Canada and Mexico. For more information about an NHRA Street Legal program in your community, contact your local NHRA Member Track.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #31
kaler

Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
Guys, stop confusing the NHRA Stock Car classes and their requirements with NHRA Street Legal. The stuff GMRULZ posted are the requirements to run in the Stock Car class and this new amendment is specifically referring to Street Legal, and says:
Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications....etc
In my mind, there is only 1 question and it's exactly what the OP asked.
What is unaltered? And typically, in NHRA terms, that means stock firewall and floor.

All of the rest of this stuff about badges and performance modifications means nothing.
I agree. A lot of people have been petitioning the NHRA for this rule change for a few years. I personally would feel safer in a low 10 second 5th gen W/O a roll bar than a 1st gen with a roll bar.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
NHRA has even created a class for these new cars. It is called "Pure Stock". Good to 11.5 seconds.

http://www.nhra.net/2004/news/june/062202.html

"NHRA believes the time has come, since the street-legal category is one of the fastest growing categories running weekly at NHRA member tracks throughout North America, to reevaluate and better define existing rules and regulations to match the improving levels of safety and performance in today's production vehicles."
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaler View Post
I agree. A lot of people have been petitioning the NHRA for this rule change for a few years. I personally would feel safer in a low 10 second 5th gen W/O a roll bar than a 1st gen with a roll bar.
I respectfully disagree, I have been as quick as 9.4@145 in the last few years and I am crew chief for an LSX ODR car that has run as quick as 7.25@202. I hit a lot of heads up races a year, including all of the LS-related events.

I don't think you or I are in a position to pontificate on drag racing track safety.

As it turns out we crashed our car this year in August, and if we had cut corners my buddy might not be in the living.

I've gone low 10's and you can still get hurt. Take for example if you making a pass, and your car goes 90 degrees into a wall because you lost a head gasket or a coolant system fitting and you drive over your own water. It happens a lot to be honest. The roll bar hoop also keeps the roof of the car from crushing you if the car rolls.

We all have our feelings on when we think a car needs a 5/6 pt roll bar, 10 pt, 25.5, 25.3, and so on.

As for my 5th gen, I'm not ever putting a bar in it, so it will not get much quicker than low 11's.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #34
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
Anybody get any clarification yet to what unaltered actually means?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
There has to be some way of getting an official clarification.

Maybe start with your Division Tech Support Contact???

http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...636&zoneid=132

Somebody ought to start actively chasing this . . . ASAP.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #36
HJ's Garage

Drives: Black on Black 2SS RS A6
First off, you dont need a CAGE to run 11.49, you need a 5 Point Roll Bar, at least right now. If you go quicker than 10.00, then you need a 8 point cage.

The issue of unaltered is referencing the floor pan and firewall. You could modify the heck out of your car, blow it, cam it and so on, but that doesn't mean it will perform, thats why it's not all about what YOU have done tot he engine and drivetrain, but what the CAR will do.
HJ's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ's Garage View Post
The issue of unaltered is referencing the floor pan and firewall.
That's apparently the "typical" interpretation or meaning. But this "Street Legal" situation appears to fall somewhat outside traditional NHRA class lines of thought, and "typical" may not apply here. You know what they say about "assume" . . .

Like I said, it's time to get the clarification straight from an NHRA source who is authorized to comment on it.

Or maybe see if the guys with other 10-second capable 2008-up cars have found the definitive answer already.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
budoboy

Drives: '07 Charger SRT8
Per my local track guy he came back from a Las Vegas NHRA class and was told that "unaltered" will allow catback and CAI and tire changes but that is about it.
budoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #39
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Talk to a buddy of mine that gave me my IHRA and NHRA license and he says "unaltered'' means Firewal/body.
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #40
Rdunn
Really, Really Fast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoboy View Post
Per my local track guy he came back from a Las Vegas NHRA class and was told that "unaltered" will allow catback and CAI and tire changes but that is about it.
this is mainly what ive been hearing
Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #41
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Until they define "unaltered" in the rule book the track will have the final say.
My track says put a bar in it.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #42
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Until they define "unaltered" in the rule book the track will have the final say.
My track says put a bar in it.
Well you need it no matter what...
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote